It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Vitamin E

Hello,

I just read in an Encyclopedia of Natural Healing that a synthetic form of vitamin E should be avoided. No reason is given.

As it happens, I bought a new bottle of vitamin E (and a couple of other supplements) just an hour ago. Reading the label, I cannot determine what KIND of vitamin E it is. It just says vitamin E.

Does anyone know WHY the synthetic form should be avoided?
If it is the synthetic type, would it be disclosed on the label?

Many thanks,
Flowergirl

Old 06-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
(male)

Hardy09 HB User
Re: Vitamin E

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Hello,

I just read in an Encyclopedia of Natural Healing that a synthetic form of vitamin E should be avoided. No reason is given.

As it happens, I bought a new bottle of vitamin E (and a couple of other supplements) just an hour ago. Reading the label, I cannot determine what KIND of vitamin E it is. It just says vitamin E.

Does anyone know WHY the synthetic form should be avoided?
If it is the synthetic type, would it be disclosed on the label?

Many thanks,
Flowergirl
The synthetic form of vitamin E is "dl-alpha-tocopheryl," whereas the natural is "d-alpha-tocopheryl." So if the label has that "dl," you have synthetic vitamin D. The "d-alpha-tocopheryl" is the most active part of the vitamin, and is often used synonomously with the term "vitamin E," and is the one most frequently studied by scientists and given to patients in studies. But vitamin E in food has other tocopherols, such as d-gamma-tocopherol, and some manufacturers sell "natural vitamin E" that has ALL the tocopherols and tocotrinols (sp?). I happen to buy "natural vitamin E," personally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thanks for the info.

Apparently, I bought the one that's not as good. (dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate). What should I do? I have not opened the bottle. Should I return it? I am not sure they take these things back, as they could be somehow tampered with.
Your help is much appreciated, Hardy.

Flowergirl

Old 06-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Thanks for the info.

Apparently, I bought the one that's not as good. (dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate). What should I do? I have not opened the bottle. Should I return it? I am not sure they take these things back, as they could be somehow tampered with.
Your help is much appreciated, Hardy.

Flowergirl
I don't know from where you purchased it but most stores will let you return unopened bottles, with receipt. Vitamin Shoppe lets you return opened bottles if you experience some problem with the product.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ballady, I'll take it back and see what happens. What happens if a person takes this synthetic version of vitamin E? Is the effectiveness (or lack of) the only issue in natural versus synthetic vitamin E?

Flowergirl

Closed Thread