It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

4thof4 HB User
Can't keep Vit D levels up to normal levels

I have been diagnosed with a Vit D deficiency within the last year and now take 50,000 IU's once a week. My Dr has done blood tests to check levels and when my level was replenished, he had me stop taking it to see if my body could sustain the levels. After a week or so, I started to get fatigue and pain again and called the Dr. He said to go back on the Vit D, and, after starting it up again, I was feeling good. I continue to take the Vit D (and feel good) but I was wondering what would be causing my body to not be able to absorb the vit D on it's own from the food I eat (and sunlight) etc. What would cause my body to depend on the Vit D that he prescribed to me? Will I have to take it for the rest of my life?

I've been having other health issues in the past 4 years or so:

chronic urticaria - diagnosed in 2004 and take Zyrtec to keep it away
gall bladder removed (gall stones) in 2005
chronic post nasal drip (especially after I eat)
constantly clearing my throat (because of the drainage??)
GERD (going to the Dr tomorrow for this to see if I have this- pretty sure I do...have every symptom)
diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2004 also but the Vit D seems to have taken care of that problem

Not sure any of this is related but I'm suspicious....

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
(male)

Aarondawg HB User
Re: Can't keep Vit D levels up to normal levels

Hey there,

I have been feeling lousy for many years, achy, fatigued, depressed, nervous, cranky and stomach issuess (like GERD) I have been on anti-drepessants, tried medicines for GERDS and still felt the same way.

I finally went to a Medical Internist a few weeks ago and was diagnosed with having a severe Vitamin D deficiency. I am now taking 50,000 IU of Vitamin D weekly and then I am supposed to take it monthly after that. I go back for a follow-up test next week.

Did you have any of these feelings prior to your diagnosis of a deficiency? Also, how long did it take for you to start to feel better after starting the therapy?

Thank you,
Aarondaw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Have you had your calcium level checked? There is a relationship between high clacium, low Vitamin D and parathyroid disease. The symptoms you describe are also those for hyperparathyroidism. You could try looking into that. Just a thought.....

I also have low Vitamin D 19.9 (32-100) and have been taking 50,000IU twice a week and now once a week for the next 3 months but I will ask also about the parathyroid test (PTH) at my next visit. I have also started on thyroid meds so too much is going on right now.

It took a change of doctor to get someone to really LISTEN to me and not JUST prescribe antidepressants! Please let us know as the more info we get the better.

Last edited by hopalong_too; 11-05-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
(male)

Aarondawg HB User
Smile Re: Can't keep Vit D levels up to normal levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post
Have you had your calcium level checked? There is a relationship between high clacium, low Vitamin D and parathyroid disease. The symptoms you describe are also those for hyperparathyroidism. You could try looking into that. Just a thought.....

I also have low Vitamin D 19.9 (32-100) and have been taking 50,000IU twice a week and now once a week for the next 3 months but I will ask also about the parathyroid test (PTH) at my next visit. I have also started on thyroid meds so too much is going on right now.

It took a change of doctor to get someone to really LISTEN to me and not JUST prescribe antidepressants! Please let us know as the more info we get the better.
Thank you for your response. I have my follow-up appointment 11/12 to check my Vitamin D level and I am sure that my Internist will check my calcium too. I trust him more than my Phy Assist that I had been seeing for years.

I will keep in touch on the site. I can definitely feel little positive changes starting to happen..... Even my stomach is feeling a little better. I have been feeling bad for so long, it's a little scary to start to see positive signs. I am sure that you know how that is.

Thanks again,
Aarondawg

Old 11-06-2007, 05:35 AM   #5
(female)

4thof4 HB User

Hi. Yes, I had all of these symptoms for years before I was diagnosed with a Vit D deficiency. There is a book out claiming low Vit D is the cause of fibromyalgia (which I was diagnosed with a few years ago) and I read it and I asked my GP to test my Vit D levels. Showed I was very low (15). I see almost instantaneous results when I take the Vit D. It's my wonder drug. I can tell when I've forgotten to take it. I get so tired!!

And, yes, I've ruled out the hyperparathyroid problem. Asked to have it tested and mine is fine.

What else could cause this problem for me?? Hope everyone else gets your issues resolved as well!

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
(female)

Canna HB User

I too have vitamin D defic but taking 1000mg a day.. How long does it take to get levels up??? I have no idea??

Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
(female)

Canna HB User

Is GERD problems related to Vit D defec???? I too have acid reflux and low Vitmain D levels

Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
(male)

Aarondawg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canna View Post
Is GERD problems related to Vit D defec???? I too have acid reflux and low Vitmain D levels
I am not sure but it's got to be related since one's body is missing an important Vitamin. Please let me know how your doctor's appointment goes today.

By the way, I read that it's takes about a month or so to start to feel better.

Last edited by Aarondawg; 11-06-2007 at 08:05 AM.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
(female)

4thof4 HB User

I actually did notice a difference right away when I took my Vit D. At least within the day. I can always tell that I have forgotten to take it because I start to feel sluggish and in pain again. After I take it, within the same day, I feel so much better. So, for me, I noticed it right away. Didn't take longer than a day or two, at the most.

My Dr didn't think the GERD was related to the Vit D deficiency. Rather, the GERD could be related to having had my gall bladder out. Could also be just GERD with no other connection to other diagnosis, or, potential diagnosis. He gave me Nexium to take and I go back in one month. He did blood work to check my Vit D levels again, kidney function, calcium and I think a few other things. Oh yeah, parathyroid, again, too. At this point, he doesn't seem to know what could be causing the deficiency of Vit D at this point. He's an internal Dr. so I feel he's qualified and competent. I'm not giving up yet, though, on a possible connection to something else, somehow. Becuause of the GERD, he referred me to a GI Dr for an endoscopy (and also a colonoscopy, just because of family history of colon cancer in my family, and, my age).

HTH!

Take care.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
(male)

Aarondawg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thof4 View Post
I actually did notice a difference right away when I took my Vit D. At least within the day. I can always tell that I have forgotten to take it because I start to feel sluggish and in pain again. After I take it, within the same day, I feel so much better. So, for me, I noticed it right away. Didn't take longer than a day or two, at the most.

My Dr didn't think the GERD was related to the Vit D deficiency. Rather, the GERD could be related to having had my gall bladder out. Could also be just GERD with no other connection to other diagnosis, or, potential diagnosis. He gave me Nexium to take and I go back in one month. He did blood work to check my Vit D levels again, kidney function, calcium and I think a few other things. Oh yeah, parathyroid, again, too. At this point, he doesn't seem to know what could be causing the deficiency of Vit D at this point. He's an internal Dr. so I feel he's qualified and competent. I'm not giving up yet, though, on a possible connection to something else, somehow. Becuause of the GERD, he referred me to a GI Dr for an endoscopy (and also a colonoscopy, just because of family history of colon cancer in my family, and, my age).

HTH!

Take care.
HTH, thanks for the doctor visit report. I did not know that your gall bladder was removed. Before I had an endoscopy back in the late spring, and ultrasound was done to check my gall bladder, etc. Everything was fine.

By the way, the endoscopy was a piece of cake. The told me to close my eyes if I got dizzy and the next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room. Everything came out negative; hence, no cancer, ulcer. They said that I had "chronic superficial inflamation" (biopsy finding) which basically meant that they could find anything wrong.

Regards,
Aaron

Old 11-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

You are better off simply going to your local healthfood store and picking up some D3 (in gel form), 2000-4000IU a day, if deficient. It took me about 2 months on 4K/day to raise 20 points on my last vitamin D test.

Taking 50,000 IU's once a week isn't a normal way for your body to receive vitamin D. I believe that form is also D2 and synthetic... doctors tend to prescribe it over the more natural form, simply because they don't know any better (at least my doc admitted she didn't). Your body gets a lot of highs and lows taking it that way.

And it isn't unusual to have to keep taking some level of vitamin D forever, but 50K/weekly isn't the way I'd go.

Last edited by namelessme; 11-07-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

Have you seen an endrocrinologist?

Where do you live (Boston, for example, doesnt receive enough sunlight to synthasise ANY vitamin D for 6 months of the year)

Keep taking the pills, and see an endrocrinologist

Old 11-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #13
(female)

4thof4 HB User

Thanks for the info about getting Vit D at the healthfood store. I'll have to look into doing that. I have not seen and endocrinologist yet although I have thought it might be a good idea. I didn't mention it yet to my Dr as I would like to get these other tests done and out of the way. Sort of, one thing at a time. I quit taking Zyrtec last Fri and so far I do not have hives. I understand it can take a little while before the Zyrtec is out of my system. But, in previous attempts to go off of it (as suggested by an allergist who prescribed it for me), it would re-appear in 3 to 4 four days. I'm on day 5 now so maybe they are finally gone.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

If you live in northern latitudes, treating your self to a weekly session in a sun bed can be a big help

Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #15
(female)

4thof4 HB User

Thanks Aussie, but, no thanks. I'd rather get my Vit D (not cancer) in any other form.

By the way, I live in Virginia.

Closed Thread