It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
(male)

Hardy09 HB User
Supplements Taken Separately or Multivitamins?

I read an interesting study in late October that reported on people who had used multiple dietary supplements for at least 20 years. They were in overall better health than non-supplement users and those who used only a mulitvitamin and mineral product. For example, as a group, they were 73 percent less likely to have diabetes and 39 percent less likely to have high blood pressure than non-users.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Supplements Taken Separately or Multivitamins?

Hardy09,

It's possible that people who select specific individual vitamins and minerals rather than just popping a contains-everything pill are more aware of nutrition in general.

For example, I choose to take a Vitamin D3 supplement. After a great deal of studying, I have decided to take a dosage that is higher than the RDA. I can easily get Vitamin D3 in a multi-vitamin pill, and I can easily find it bundled with calcium. I consume a lot of milk products in my diet. I have decided that, short of some sort of digestive disorder, I cannot possibly be deficient in calcium in my diet. I therefore decide to look for a Vitamin D3 supplement that is a separate pill.

I go through the same process for the rest of the supplements that I choose to take. I look at my diet, and decide which specific nutrients I wish to supplement, while being aware that certain ones are dangerous when consumed in too high a dosage, and certain ones would not be suffient for my purposes if I took them in the quantities that are normally present in regular vitamin pills.

Since I am studying my individual vitamins and minerals so closely, I am also choosing to make sure that my diet is chock-a-block full of fresh veggies and home-cooked foods that don't have all those artificial and processed ingredients that one finds in packaged foods and fast-food restaurants.

This is not to say that my method is for sure making me far healthier than people who follow different diet and supplement plans. It just makes sense to me. And, of course, I hope that I will be one of those who doesn't get diabetes or heart problems or all those other diseases that are common in modern society. One never knows -- sometimes heredity has plans for us that we just can't control.

Studies like this are looking at groups of people and trying to find some common denominator that makes one group different from another. It doesn't necessarily mean that further looking won't find some other association. But thanks for bringing up this research.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
(male)

thylantyr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy09 View Post
I read an interesting study in late October that reported on people who had used multiple dietary supplements for at least 20 years. They were in overall better health than non-supplement users and those who used only a mulitvitamin and mineral product. For example, as a group, they were 73 percent less likely to have diabetes and 39 percent less likely to have high blood pressure than non-users.
After my friend was diagnosed with some medical problems, I went on the vitamin/mineral/etc. quest
to see what I can brew up.

I followed the Linus Pauling Institute nutritional guide on
vitamin/mineral/etc doseages and also correlated their
recommendations with other health institutions. <removed>

I was kinda shocked to see so many supplements on
the market that were not well balanced, it seemed to me
there was alot of marketing involved vs. make a nice
pill.

Long story short, I had to make a vitamin regimen with
individual pills to ensure I had proper doseages.

Also, keep in mind, it's physically impossible to cram
all these doseages into one pill. In other words, if someone
made a very good vitamin/mineral/amino acid/antioxidiant
pill using proper doseages, the pill would be so big it's a 'horse pill'. lol

On the other hand, you have mega-vitamins on the market
with serving size = 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 pills. I seen one mega-vitamin with over 20 pills as the serving size. To make matters worse, the recipe for these pills are horrible - read the labels and understand the doseages.

It is better to cherry pick the appropriate vitamins and
take a handful of pills as you have more control on what
you take and you can adjust each dose independently.

Results? My friend's diabetes has drastically reduced,
a handfull of other small medical annoyances are gone
and after seeing these results and monitoring my friend,
I started my own regimen last year and I see results. I lost 20 pounds, I don't have the huge craving for foods,
I feel normal {don't need those daily naps}, it's really
weird to feel good daily.

I've given this regimen to my friends but they are dissuaded by the small quantity of pills to consume daily,
in spite that they can eat large quantities of food like
a double cheeseburger with fries for lunch. hehehe

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-14-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

I compromise: Take a multi, for all the micronutrients, and then top up with ones I think i need more of (antioxidents, magnesium, selenium)

A Centrum tablet once a day makes a fgood baseline to build on

Twinlab Daily One is a one a day multi which contains much higher doses than the usual Centrum type products, and could also be used as a great compromise between a centrum or taking handfulls of seperate pills each day

Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I just take a multi, keep it simple, and eat the right foods.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I've just gotten into food based like cod liver oil, wheatgerm oil, rosehips and fish oil, green tea(not extract but actual tea). I bought a superfood powder which contains concentrates of food to mix with juice.

I'm not sure regular synthetic vitamins work so well, but occasionally they are good for insurance I suppose. I'm not sure if superfoods are better, but it seems alot of evidence points to the body using them better since they are food, whereas synthetic chemical are what the body tends to try to "wash out" via kidneys (explains the weird color pee).

Heck why not try this new thinking-on-supplements is my view on the matter. I do seem to not get sick often anymore since basically stopping the synthetics and starting this other stuff, maybe there is something to it...

Old 11-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
(female)

CleanB HB User

I take a natural (not synthetic!) multivitamin and extra B, C, E, and a Calcium/Magnesium supplement. Also a fish oil supplement and an immunity booster supplement. It's a handful everyday, but I am in good health and rarely get sick. I think there is something to that study as I believe there are potential benefits of supplement use.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

javyn HB User

I stopped taking a multi and started taking individual supps, and have noticed a great deal of difference. I feel better than I ever have, taking cal/mag/d, zinc, fish oil, 25mg DHEA, 15g soy lecithin, and spirulina separately.

I plan on adding chlorella, probiotics, l-lysine, and l-glutamine as well to my regimen. It's a lot of pills yes, but it is not so bad being that I can take many of them on an empty stomach. Taking so many supps also ensures I drink enough water every day.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
(male)

naturodude HB User

I have stopped taking a multivitamin, but recommend MegaFood (non synthetic) multivitamins. I take spirulina, bee pollen, vitamin A&D (from cod liver oil), wholefood vitamin C (from acerola berries), and pure fish oil. Plus I eat a lot of wholegrains, fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. My recommendations are taking wholefood concentrates, such as fruit/veggies powders, algae, bee pollen, brewers yeast, etc. and take a wholefood multivitamin.

Also, since my supplements are food-based, they do not have to be taken on an empty stomach.

Last edited by naturodude; 02-05-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: a thought

Closed Thread