It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
(male)

djpatd HB User
What are underlying causes that contribute to low Vitamin D?

I had labs done and my Vitamin D level was 23 (reference range 20-100).

What should I ask the doctor and who helps find the underlying cause?

Pat

Old 05-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User
Re: What are underlying causes that contribute to low Vitamin D?

Lack of UV radiation on the skin

so.... spening a lot of time indoors

living a long way from the equator (in boston ofr example, for 6 months of the year, there isnt enough UV to produce ANY vitamin D, even if you could sunbake in the cold)

Keeping covered up all the time when outdoors/using sunscreen all the time (muslim women who wear the cloak and veil are often low in vitamin d)

You can buy 1000iu caps of vitamin d quite cheeply, one a day would give you all you need and more. Even the 400iu from a multivitamin pill would give your levals a significant boost.

Getting the sun of your face and arms for 10 minutes a day is a good idea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
(male)

djpatd HB User

being fair skinned I tried to stay out of the sun alot. I am even in sunny Southern California. I need to supplement for sure.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

djpatd,

I also am fair-skinned and avoid the sun as much as possible. When I lived in sunny central California, I used to get depressed every winter. Then I moved to grey cloudy northern Germany, and the winter depression got more intense every winter and lasted longer each year until I became suicidal. I finally doscovered Vitamin D3 supplements (cholecalciferol), and no longer have suicidal depression in the winter.

In addition to the lack of sunlight on the skin, as aussiejono says, there are a few other possible causes for low Vitamn D.

It is a fat-soluble vitamin, so obesity can take up any vitamin D into the fat cells and make it unavailable for active use by the body.

There may be insufficient fat in the diet, so that even though one is getting plenty of sunshine or getting Vitamin D in supplement form, it cannot be utilized.

As we get older, it means that the skin and kidneys are not as able to convert Vitamin D to its active hormone form for use by the body.

There are diseases of the parathyroid gland, liver, and kidney that can affect the body's use of the vitamin.

Other medical conditions that affect vitamin D utilization include pancreatic enzyme deficiency, Crohn's disease, celiac sprue, cystic fibrosis, surgical removal of part or all of the stomach, gall bladder disease, and liver disease.

Some medications can affect the absorption or utilization of Vitamin D. Some of these are anticonvulsant meds, some cholesterol lowering meds, meds that reduce hydrocloric acid release in the stomach, corticosteroid drugs that treat autoimmune and inflammatory diseases such as asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and ulcerative colitis, and Heparin used as an anticoagulant med.

There are some theories that too little iron in the diet can result in a deficiency of Vitamin D.

I hope that you are able to increase your Vitamin D level. It affects so many functions in the body, not just depression as it did with me. If you take supplements, it appears that the form D3 (cholecalciferol) is more easily utilized by the body than the form D2 (ergocalciferol).

I hope this helps.

--Rheanna

Old 05-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
(female)

ellemae11 HB User

A parathyroid gland not working right.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
(male)

yellowbelly HB User

It is in fact NORMAL to have lower than ideal vitamin d status.

This paper "Circulating Vitamin D3 and 25-hydroxyvitamin D in Humans shows how people getting ample sunshine start to store D3 when their 25(OH)D levels get significantly over 40ng

To obtain that kind of level with Vitamin D3 supplements requires a total intake from all sources of at least 4000iu/daily. The above research with breast feeding mothers used 6400iu/daily.

Risk assessment for Vitamin D shows up to 10,000iu/daily is totally safe.

When your skin is exposed to the UVB in sunlight not only does it create vitamin d but the vitamin d is processed on into the active form, this stimulates the creation of antimicrobial peptides that form an important part of your bodies innate immune response system. The more skin you expose not only the more vitamin d you create but the better will be your response to bacterial and fungal infection.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-21-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: do not direct off-site searches for websites - please read and follow the posting policy

Closed Thread