It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
(female)

ericanicole25 HB User
Which vitamins/minerals are essential for healthy hair?

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anybody can offer any advice. I'm trying to figure out which vitamins and minerals are important for a healthy hair growth cycle. I have been shedding excessive amounts of hair for quite some time now, and I've done quite a bit of research. I started taking a few different things recently and would like to know if any of the amounts I'm taking are too high or if anything I'm taking is dangerous. I'm getting these total amounts combined from a One A Day Womens multivitamin, a B-100 complex tablet, a hair supplement called Vital Hair, a D tablet, an E capsule, some Omega-3 capsules and Floradix, a herbal and iron tablet.

Vitamin A - 7000 I.U.
ALA - 520 mg
B1/Thiamin - 118 mg
B12 - 110 mcg
B2/Riboflavin - 121 mg
B6 - 117 mg
Beta Carotene - 500 I.U.
Biotin - 1100 mcg
Vitamin C - 390 mg
Calcium - 400 mg
Choline Bitartrate - 151 mg
Vitamin D - 1200 I.U.
D. Pantothenic acid - 360 mg
DHA - 400 mg
Vitamin E - 425 I.U.
EPA - 800 mg
Evening Primrose seed oil - 1000 mg
Fish Oil Concentrate - 2140 mg
Folic Acid - 1.2 mg
GLA - 100 mg
Horsetail Silica - 50 mg
Inositol - 400 mg
Iron - 31 mg
L-Cysteine - 100 mg
Magnesium - 50 mg
MSM - 100 mg
Niacin - 159 mg
Omega 3 fatty acids - 1280 mg
Organic Flax Seed oil - 1000 mg
PABA - 200 mg
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride - 6 mg
Zinc - 2.5 mg

I am not too familiar with supplements but the research I've done shows that the above dosages are safe and beneficial for hair health.

Any advice from someone who's experienced with supplements would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
(male)

Stoler99 HB UserStoler99 HB User
Re: Which vitamins/minerals are essential for healthy hair?

Best vitamins for hair are Omega 3, 6, 9, Collagen, msm glucosamine chondroitin and biotin.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

MIMI03 HB User

Have you had your thyroid tested? Out of wack thyroid levels can cause hair loss.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

ericanicole25 HB User

I did have the TSH test done, but it came back within "normal" range. I tried to request some more thyroid tests, T3, T4 and Thyroid antibodies, but in Canada, specifically British Columbia, our Medical Services Plan (universal health care) wont cover the costs of the additional tests unless the TSH is abnormal so my Doctor wasn't able to request them.

I'm thinking about paying to have the additional thyroid tests, but we'll see. For now, I'm just trying to nourish my hair and scalp, outside and in. I'm taking a bit of iron to bring my ferritin up (it was on the low end of normal) and I'm trying not to stress (easier said than done).

I'm also praying every night for my hair to stop falling out...you never know who's listening...

Thanks,

Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
(female)

ericanicole25 HB User

Thanks for the useful information!

I'll definitely look into getting some of the things you suggested.

Honestly, I'm willing to try just about anything at this point, as long as it wont make more of my hair fall out

How long were you taking the Melancor before you noticed your hair was much thicker?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
(female)

samantha2846 HB User

If you want your hair to grow you can take prenatal vitamins or fish oil pills. i found that prenatals are amazing....just make sure you eat food before you take the pill, not after or you will throw up. I learned that the hard way! but I have heard fish oil pills have other very good heath benefits as well

Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
(female)

ericanicole25 HB User

I'm actually already taking the fish oils, but I hadn't thought to take a prenatal vitamin instead of a regular multivitamin. I bet the prenatal vitamin is a good idea for any woman who plans on having children, either first timers or those who hope for another child in the future (like me)...

Plus, there's more folic acid in the prenatal vitamins and I've read that it's essential for healthy hair.

Thanks for your input

Closed Thread