It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

msmith1970 HB User
Question on What is Normal B12 levels

I have acid refulx and have been taking Nexium for about a year. Recently, my atypical symptoms were not responding to one dose a day, so I am up to two a day. I may have to have surgery for this if I'm a good candidate.

I also have Interstitial Cystitis, fibromyalgia symptoms (started in April before I started on two a day of the Nexium), and muscle movements at night that are aggravated by certain medications. I take Klonpin to stop them.

I take 1200 mg of Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D to help offset that bone problems that can arise from the PPI, as well as, for another disease that I have.

Recently, I have been so tired and exhausted all the time. My B12 levels tested at 234. My doctor's office said that between 200-1000 is normal, but I thought for them to be normal they had to be over 400.

I just bought B12 pill supplements, but I'm not sure if they'll help.

Please help and should I go back and see my primary care doctor or to a different type of doctor (if so, what type) for this issue?

Molly

Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User
Re: Question on What is Normal B12 levels

I was diagnosed as being B12 deficient about 4 months ago. At first, my level was at 284. The doctor started B12 injections every month.

I had bloodwork done last week and my level is now at 325.

The doctor is continuing the injections for another 3 months and will do bloodwork again to she what is needed.

She said that according to my test results, that my body is now absorbing the B12 and I may be a candidate for the B12 nasal spray that you can do once per week. I was told that the supplements will not work if your body is not absorbing the B12.

I would recommend that you go back to the doctor. With my level being up to 325, my doctor said that it was considered low-normal but because the injections were making me feel better, this is the route we are continuing for now.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
(female)

msmith1970 HB User

Thank you for your help. I'm not sure why they told me that 200 was a normal range. I may be having a problem w/ the OTC supplements possibly irritating my bladder disease. I have an appt to meet w/ my primary on Friday re the injections. I do know that the PPI that I take for my acid reflux (2/day) can slowly decrease your B12 overtime.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Hi Molly
Your levels are very low indeed and even though they are in the normal levels it is still to low.......In Japan the lowest level is 550 anything less is treated..
I think some doctors are coming around but very few....
I presented with symptoms 5 years ago at 372.....I had problems with my bladder would urinate plenty esp at night up every hour I no longer have this problem any more....
As you are taking PPI's it will lower the B12 for sure however taking b12 pills will not be absorebed if your stomach can not uptake it and you will simpley be wasting your money....
Do you have numbness or tingling in hands and feet taht is common with the deficiency as plenty of other symptoms too...
I would highly recommend that you ask your doctor for these tests as they will be elevated with B12 deficeincy even if the serum is within normal levels
uMMA (more sensitive than the serum)\
Homocysteine
FBC
This will prove to your doctor You could see a heamotologist perhaps

I would highly recommend the Methylcobalamin as it is the active form of B12 and works the best you could try sublinguals that dissolve in the mouth but get those tests done first even if it means finding a new doctor

Good luck

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-02-2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 10-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
(female)

msmith1970 HB User

Thanks for the info. I have had tingling and numbness in my hands for a few mos now. My doctor didn't necessarily think that the low level was from the ppi. I even ended up in an argument with him about getting the B12 injections. He seemed to think that they are overrated and may have just a placebo effect, nevertheless, he gave me an injection and said that I could get one every month. He ordered tests to see if I am not absorbing B12 efficiently.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Hi
Overrated!!!! mmmmm thats a good one...The thing is if they are low you have to treat it it is good that you are having tests to find the cause I hope he is also checking for malabsorption problems like celiac,crohns ect but the PPI's can certainly do it but you know that...Keep in mind that not causes of deficiency are found...You have symptoms classic numbness although this can also be related to blood sugar levels and thyriod problems but you probably would have been tested for that before B12 anyway they generally do....The thing is once you have nuerological symptoms it can take more than just one shot per month to heal that...There subs you can get that you can take in between your injections the type of B12 is crucial as well......

Good Luck

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-05-2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 11-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
(female)

kristilynn28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith1970 View Post
I have acid refulx and have been taking Nexium for about a year. Recently, my atypical symptoms were not responding to one dose a day, so I am up to two a day. I may have to have surgery for this if I'm a good candidate.

I also have Interstitial Cystitis, fibromyalgia symptoms (started in April before I started on two a day of the Nexium), and muscle movements at night that are aggravated by certain medications. I take Klonpin to stop them.

I take 1200 mg of Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D to help offset that bone problems that can arise from the PPI, as well as, for another disease that I have.

Recently, I have been so tired and exhausted all the time. My B12 levels tested at 234. My doctor's office said that between 200-1000 is normal, but I thought for them to be normal they had to be over 400.

I just bought B12 pill supplements, but I'm not sure if they'll help.

Please help and should I go back and see my primary care doctor or to a different type of doctor (if so, what type) for this issue?

Molly

Hi!

I was diagnosed with Lupus this past June and since then have been told that my B12 levels are severly low. I went to the dr. today and found out that my B12 level is 193!! I was told that anything under 300 was considered low. Because of how low mine is, i have benn having alot of memory loss, confusion, exhaustion, and i have been extremely irritable and depressed. I was told to take 1000 micrograms of B12 a day or get a shot. They also arent sure whether my symptoms are completely due to the extremely low B12 or my Lupus, so if the vitamins dont work, then its on to more tests! My dr. sent me to a neurologist for this test, but they said a gastroenterologist would know more. I hope all works out well for you!!

Old 11-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I can't tell you what my number is, but I also have very low B-12, leaving me with symptoms much like kristilynn...the memory loss, the confusion, the difficulty in decision making, extreme fatigue, etc.

These symptoms are also very similar to the effects of having 4 strokes about 7 years ago, but the numbers told the story that this was B-12 shortage, on top of the other neuro problems which will likely never be resolved completely. I also have severe anemia, which also mimics the same symptoms.

They are all being treated, the B-12 by injections twice every week, Monday and Friday. As far as being overrated...hmmm- While I do not feel drastically different the days I have the injections, they do give me enough boost to cook a meal or enjoy an afternoon-which I consider a blessing after so many years of fatigue.

I wish you well...

Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
(female)

Lolly810 HB User

I recently had my blood taken. The next week I rang the nurse to ask were the results back. She said my b12 level was 117. She never mentioned anything about making an appointment to see my Doctor. She said the level was low but that's all. My uncle who is not blood related had a problem with his b12 levels before and now my mother is concerned that I might have it too. Should I make an appointment to see my Doctor or is my mother just over reacting? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Lauren

Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

B12 injection isnt like a shot of methamphetamine, you dont feel an instant rush of energy, you feel a slow improvement over a number of weeks.

Taking 2000mcg of b12 oraly can overcome the stomachs block to normal adsorbsion (2000mcg is 1000 x the normal daily amount, and it forces the body to adsorb enough for normal health)

This is dort cheap, and a good idea for anyone on long term ppi's

In Scandinavia, injections of B12 are not used, high doses by mouth are considered the normal treatment

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread