It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Has Anyone Been On Vit. D & Not Noticed Any Difference?

Hi everyone. I tested 35 on the Vit. D scale of 35-100. My dr. put me on 50,000 i u per week. I have been on this for 5 weeks and haven't noticed anything.

Has anyone experienced this?

I thought for sure I'd notice some difference somehow.

Thank you.

Salty

Old 11-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Has Anyone Been On Vit. D & Not Noticed Any Difference?

My vit D was 18, I was put on 50K IU twice a week and after two months my vit D level was 50, and I haven't notice any difference.

Hopefully my bones noticed the difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
(male)

Nature Made HB User

I have been taking 1,000IU of Vitamin D for the past weeks, and I have not notice any difference, which will make sense. All the information I have found online suggest taking 1,000IU of Vitamin D for various of reasons, cancer prevention being the top reason, but they also stated that one will have take that amount for three years or so for any "decrease in various cancers". Vitamin D has been showed to prevent several types of cancer (i.e., colon cancer, etc) and other illnesses, but that is only after a long period use of at least 1,000IU of vitamin D.

You may not notice any changes, but your body is definitely feeling the changes

We may not always notice any changes when using vitamins, minerals, and herbs (probably more energy or whatever).

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Nature Made; 11-01-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you AuntieLeela and Nature Made. You both made me feel better with your posts.

As long as it's helping my bones and body, that's what counts.

Thank you very much for writing and letting me know I'm not alone with not noticing any difference.

Salty

Old 11-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
(female)

kellibear HB User

vit d is important, but can be toxic at high doses--how long does your dr. want you on that high dose? i take 400u everyday (along with calcium and magnesium). it really won't make you "feel" any different, but your bones will thank you!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

25 weeks, kellibear. Your vit. D is included in your calcium and magnesium?--it's a blend?

Thank you.

Salty

Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 AM   #7
(female)

susu2007 HB User

Hi Salty,

If your vitamin levels were 35, you will hardly notice much difference from taking supplements because 35 does not put you in the deficient category or even the insufficient. My own vitamin D levels were 12 and after taking vitamin D (2000 IU a day) for a month, they went up to 19 and I am starting to notice that my fatigue levels are not as bad as they used to be.

To be honest with you, I think that taking 50,000 IU for 24 weeks is too much. You should get your levels tested again just to make are still in the safe zone. You were not deficient to begin with and it seems odd to me that your doctor would put you on such very high doses for so long.

I think very low vitamin D levels can result in incredible fatigue which has been the case with me. It is only now that I am starting to notice the difference after I started taking supplements, getting more sun exposure and eating fish three times a week.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
(female)

kellibear HB User

i agree--that's alot of vit. d! the supplement i take has the cal/vit d combined--i get the puritans brand, but they do have a pill with the magnesium added--or it comes in a liquid also.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I think everyone is different. Salty's reference range puts her at the very bottom and from my own experience and MY doctor's lab reference range of 40-100, 35 is definitely below the normal (or at least what the doctor would like to see). My doctor has also told me I will have to keep supplementing until I can get the Vitamin D level to 70!!! and keep it there. That will definitely be an uphill battle!

09/07, my level was 19 (40-100). I was prescribed 50,000IU twice weekly and 11/07 had my levels tested and they were 47. I was switched to one 50,000IU tablet per week and my levels dropped to 35 by 03/08 and then 27 07/01/08. I had them tested again and it dropped to 20.1 by 07/14/08. This all while TAKING the supplement once weekly! I have been taking it again twice weekly since then and it has gone up to 24.9 by 10/08. My calcium level is at the high end of normal 10.5 (8.5-10.5) but PTH is normal. My ionized calcium is always high 1.35, 1.41, 1.42 (1.17-1.32) I am just wondering if my body limits and/or even fights the production of Vitamin D because my calcium level is so high. The doctor says there is no way I have hyperparathyroidism because my PTH is so low. I get plenty of sun without sunscreen but once I stop the megadoses my levels drop FAST! I have suffered horribly with fatigue and bone pain in my hips but it seems to have eased ever so slightly as my levels rise. I will have it tested again in December. Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 11-07-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you all for writing and for your help. I don't know, I'm just going by what my gyn. says. I am bleeding from the cervix and he does not know why--all tests came back fine. He thinks it is inflamed for some reason.

I am having a fibroid removed in early Jan. and he said it will help my immunity.

He is also my surgeon and has been for many many years.

What I don't understand is when I go off the high dose, won't the levels just go low again as in Hoppy's case?

Thank you.

Salty

Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Have you had your calcium and PTH tested? Vitamin D can cause your calcium levels to rise.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hoppy, I've had all the thyroid tests done and they were fine. When you do a complete blood work-up, is calcium in there? If so, the dr. didn't mention he was alarmed.

Why would it be bad for my calcium levels to rise? I drink skim milk and eat probiotic yogurt. I don't take a calcium supplement, just what I get in a multi-vitamin.

Would the calcium I eat and drink keep my vit. D levels from staying up?

Thanks,
Salty

Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Vitamin D, PTH and calcium are all tightly regulated. you can easily look up the relationship between low Vitamin D, calcium and parathyroid hormone (PTH). Calcium is not measured with a CBC (complete blood count) but it is in another panel which includes Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, Total CO2 and Albumin (and sometimes a few others).

Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hoppy, I'm answering your other post here as well. It was getting confusing going back and forth.

I need to ask my dr. if I had that panel done. If not, I will get it done. What am I looking for though? I know my thyroid is okay.

I take the Omegas. They seem to help me a little. I can understand why you want to keep your levels up.

Exercise does help, too. It's hard to do when you are really depressed, I know that.

You had clinical depression and you're off the meds? I think your thyroid meds have helped you a lot. I hear you can be terribly depressed with thyroid issues.

I'm not getting any answers to my post re the new depression add-on and I really don't know what to do. I haven't known for months. I never expected my med to quit on me.

You said you were on effexor. What would you do if you had been on it for many years and it stopped working? Would you try another SSRI?

The lexapro was so good because it lifted the depression and it was calming so it also helped my anxiety.

I'm thinking about posting again tomorrow if I don't get any answers. But I'm really tired of bugging people and I'm sure they are tired of me trying to find a solution.

I'm scared of this drug I'm trying.

I appreciate any ideas you have. Thank you.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 11-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I must have missed the post that said what drug you were on. What are you taking? What was your thyroid level? Hopefully between 0.5 and 3.0. Closer to 1 is best! Did you have the FT4 and FT3 tested as well? How about your B12 level? Mine was low in that as well and I take 5mg (not mcg) per day sublingual methylcobalamin. It is 83,000% of the recommended daily allowance but the doctor said it is fine as it is not stored in the body but you just get rid of the excess. Raising that level has helped a bit as well, I think.

I do not believe I was EVER clinically depressed. I had HORRIBLE hip pain (and still do sometimes), felt cold all the time and was extremely fatigued, among other things. Since no problem could be found for the hip pain, the doctor said.... "You MUST be depressed....let's try this antidepressant". When it didn't make any difference, the dosage was raised and then I was switched to another. It didn't help either. The dosage of the new one was raised twice and I just kept feeling worse and worse and not at all myself and I just decided enough was enough and titrated myself off of it. I lowered the dose every couple weeks by half. Getting off it was a HORRIBLE experience with the brain zaps! I am just exercising and telling myself constantly to be upbeat although sometimes I falter. I can become irritable without reason. Thank goodness I have a wonderful, understanding and loving husband who just says.....oh oh, your being irritable for no reason! I still believe there is some issue but don't know what it is that is causing me to be so tired, irritable, moody, and sore! Sometimes at night my hips are so sore that I can barely roll over but I really need to to relieve the pain. I am hoping that it is a Vitamin D issue and it can be resolved by increasing my levels. Time will tell.

There are a lot of people here that are willing to listen but we are not doctors. Sometimes just airing your thoughts helps. Does your doctor know that you believe the AD stopped working? What did he/she say? Sometimes a combination of different medications works. I just know I am better off without them. My mind is so much clearer. I hope you can get some answers. Hoppy

Closed Thread