It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
(female)

aprilraincaleb HB User
Has anyone had acid reflux while being Vitamin D deficient?

I never had heartburn or any type acid reflux except during my pregnancies, i had a little heartburn. I've just discovered a little over 6 wks ago I was Vitamin D deficient @ 27 . I really don't feel burning in my throat like regular heartburn. Its more like the food comes back up a little & starts to irritate my throat. I seen a gastro doc & had a endoscopy to see if i had a ulcer or the Helicobacter pylori but i did not have a ulcer. The doctor said everything looked normal. I'm just baffled if Vitamin d deficiency can weakening the lower esophageal sphincter because it is a muscle & they say vitamin D deficiency make you have weak muscles, weak bones, etc.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Has anyone had acid reflux while being Vitamin D deficient?

This doesn't sound plausible to me, that Vitamin D deficiency is causing heartburn but of course I could be wrong . I have read that acid refux is due to not enough acid in the system, not too much. Betaine HCL was suggested and it has helped me in the past.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

Victoria1970 HB User

I have never had acid indigestion problems before. I have felt horrible since January. Dizzyness, heart palpatations, pressure in my chest, (I was told was GERD) I am tired all the time, swollen neck. My last doctor did some tests, sent me to an ENT and and an infectious disease doctor. They ruled out a lot things but I still felt horrible. I bagged her to check my hormone levels or vitamin levels, something was wrong, I know it. So my vitamin D came back at a level of 19. She told me to take 1000mg of D3 and I would be fine. She explained nothing else. I went in again and my doc then told me nothing was wrong with me and it was all in my head and sent me to a psycholigist. So, found a new Doc, she did a full history and upped my vitamin D3 and also sent me for a sleep study. So I have sleep apnea, I sleep on a CPAP (breathing machine) and I take 1800mg of D3 and about 1500mg of calcium. I have done a lot of research on this vitamin d deficiency and it causes all kinds of nasty things including indigestion. But I always say, talk to your Doc. If they are not helpfull then look into getting a new one. This is your health and well being here. Be proactive, ask questions and stay informed.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

locarbaj HB User

Hi Victoria1970,

Quote:
I have never had acid indigestion problems before. I have felt horrible since January. Dizzyness, heart palpatations, pressure in my chest, (I was told was GERD) I am tired all the time, swollen neck.
I don't mean to go on about this, but heart palpitations or arrhythmias are a common sign of either magnesium or potassium deficiency. Tiredness is also a common symptom of magnesium deficiency, too.

Quote:
So my vitamin D came back at a level of 19. She told me to take 1000mg of D3 and I would be fine. She explained nothing else.
When you say "1,000 mg", do you really mean milligrammes? As far as I know, the majority of Vit D3 supplements use this "international unit" label? If you are only taking 1,000 iu's of Vit D3, it will take you a long time to get your levels up. Most experts in the field (who I can't name cos of forum rules, I think), but if you do an online search, you'll find a few names cropping up again and again). The "standard" dosage is 4-5,000 iu's for a woman of normal weight.

Quote:
I went in again and my doc then told me nothing was wrong with me and it was all in my head and sent me to a psycholigist.
You poor thing! Just because they don't know much, they accuse you of being a loony! I could scream sometimes when I hear these stories. I am sure your instincts are correct and you do have some sort of deficiency or food intolerance that could be easily corrected.

Quote:
So, found a new Doc, she did a full history and upped my vitamin D3 and also sent me for a sleep study. So I have sleep apnea, I sleep on a CPAP (breathing machine) and I take 1800mg of D3 and about 1500mg of calcium. I have done a lot of research on this vitamin d deficiency and it causes all kinds of nasty things including indigestion.
Oh, sorry, I missed this bit about your D being upped... Well, that's great! Personally, I would go for less calcium, about 400mg of magnesium and about 4-5K of Vitamin D3. A lot of people have reported great results with that combination.

Oh, and another thing. I have also read about a lot of people having great success getting rid of acid reflux and indigestion with the following ideas:

1) a low-carb diet can get rid of acid reflux for many people. An online search will confirm this.

2) You may have low stomach acid, which could be helped by hydrochloric acid supplements, or by digestive enzymes. I don't always trust those "testimonials" you see on commercial websites, but they can't all be lies!

Quote:
But I always say, talk to your Doc. If they are not helpfull then look into getting a new one. This is your health and well being here. Be proactive, ask questions and stay informed.
Absolutely! Most doctors know a little about a lot of things. We can learn a lot about a specific area and actually end up being much more knowledgeable than our doctors. The more I read about medicine, the more distrustful of the medical profession I become. Not because I think they are bad people, it's just that a general practitioner/family doctor can't possibly have a wide knowledge of all the different complaints that exist on the planet!

All the best,

aj

Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

YES! I do believe you have can acid reflux and digestive disorders from Low Vitamin D and other deficiencies. I am one of those people. I develped acid reflux a year or two ago and come to find out after further blood testing I have been extremely deficient with Vitamin D, calcium and Iron. I am on supplements for all of these. I am still battling reflux and I feel in my heart that as soon as I level out all my deficiencies, heal up the reflux issue and reduce my stressors that I will feel great again. But yes, I have heard from other sourses that the deficiency of Vitamin D effects alot of things in the body. Vitamin D is very important! Get those levels up! I take a gummy from the health food store that is strictly Vitamin D3 1000 mg. And it tastes so good taking it. Good luck!

Last edited by TEdds83; 07-02-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
(female)

aprilraincaleb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
YES! I do believe you have can acid reflux and digestive disorders from Low Vitamin D and other deficiencies. I am one of those people. I develped acid reflux a year or two ago and come to find out after further blood testing I have been extremely deficient with Vitamin D, calcium and Iron. I am on supplements for all of these. I am still battling reflux and I feel in my heart that as soon as I level out all my deficiencies, heal up the reflux issue and reduce my stressors that I will feel great again. But yes, I have heard from other sourses that the deficiency of Vitamin D effects alot of things in the body. Vitamin D is very important! Get those levels up! I take a gummy from the health food store that is strictly Vitamin D3 1000 mg. And it tastes so good taking it. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. I know now when your body is deficient of the vitamins & nutrients that it needs it starts to cause all kind health problems because that is when i developed acid reflux. I never had acid reflux except during the end my pregnancies as the baby grew big & that was normal & mild & quickly went away soon as the baby was out of my stomach. Also i never had a problem taking antibotics but this last time since i took it while i was vitamin D deficient i developed severe acid reflux. I think my immune system was weakened by being vitamin D deficient & my calcium in my reserviors being low because i was pregnant & breastfed for 13 months before i knew i was vitamin d deficient therefore i was not absorbing enough calcium to replace the calcium i was using daily. So then i started to get lower back pain & teeth sensitivity as i breastfed. The longer i breastfed the more bone pain i got by the end of the 13months i breastfed. My vitamin D level was @27 & for almost a year while i was breastfeeding i was taking most days between 1200IU & 2000IU vitamin D3 daily but my level was still only @27 when i found i out i was vitamin D deficient so i am definently assuming my levels was even lower during my pregancy since i was only taking 400IU from the prenatal vitamin. So when i was diagnosed vitamin D deficient & the endocrynologists told me to take 2000IU D3 daily i knew that would not bring my levels up, if it did it would take a long time. So i bought a tanning package & on days i did not tan i take a supplement between 3500IU to 6000IU. Now 10 wks later after my level being @27 it is now @51.6. Also i good tip i got when you take your vitamin D supplement take it with a food that has fat in it since it is a fat soluble vitamin & will absorb better. For optimal health your vitamin D level should be between 40-80. I'm still bringing my level up because i've lost so much calcium while i was pregnant & Breastfed. Its going to take a while for me to regain that calcium in my reserviors. Anyways about the acid reflux developing since my immune system was weaker during the defiency I'm not sure at the moment just yet if that caused my body to let a yeast over growth happen after taking the antibotics or if the vitamin defiency's helped bring on the acid reflux or a combination of both. I also was low in potassium 6 month before i found out i was vitamin D deficient. After i started taking the vitamin D supplement i started to get some mild muscle spasms that i think was because of a magnesium deficiency also so i take a supplement most days of 500mg of Magnesium. Now for the acid reflux i'm taking threelacs a good bacteria to try kill the yeast over growth & CHANGING MY DIET FOR A WHILE to foods with no sugar,no yeast, & LOW CARBS because they feed yeast in your body. The acid reflux is slowly getting much better then before. I'll update on the progress later as my calcium reserviors build up & I'm done with the 8 wks of threelacs.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
(female)

aprilraincaleb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria1970 View Post
I have never had acid indigestion problems before. I have felt horrible since January. Dizzyness, heart palpatations, pressure in my chest, (I was told was GERD) I am tired all the time, swollen neck. My last doctor did some tests, sent me to an ENT and and an infectious disease doctor. They ruled out a lot things but I still felt horrible. I bagged her to check my hormone levels or vitamin levels, something was wrong, I know it. So my vitamin D came back at a level of 19. She told me to take 1000mg of D3 and I would be fine. She explained nothing else. I went in again and my doc then told me nothing was wrong with me and it was all in my head and sent me to a psycholigist. So, found a new Doc, she did a full history and upped my vitamin D3 and also sent me for a sleep study. So I have sleep apnea, I sleep on a CPAP (breathing machine) and I take 1800mg of D3 and about 1500mg of calcium. I have done a lot of research on this vitamin d deficiency and it causes all kinds of nasty things including indigestion. But I always say, talk to your Doc. If they are not helpfull then look into getting a new one. This is your health and well being here. Be proactive, ask questions and stay informed.
Victoria, I feel for you. I got treated basically the same way by my doctor when i complained of bone pain & fatigue 6 months into breastfeeding my baby. Since my primary doctor couldn't figure it out he was ready to try to push anti depressions on to me. I was very upset when he try to act as if i was imagining what i was feeling. I never said i was depressed i said i was stressed/frustrated that he the doctor could not figure out what was wrong with me. So i to went & found a doctor who could really find the cause of my problem & NOT JUST TRY PRESCRIBE some narcortic that cover the symptoms & DOSE NOT TREAT THE CAUSE (CURE). I also was told to take 1500mg calcium while taking the vitamin D supplements. I think i developed some tiny sand in my kidneys now because of the high calcium supplement. I think its safer to take only 1200mg calcium while taking high doses of vitamin D3 & try drink a glass of lemonade a day so that would help so the calcium won't form any little crystals in your kidneys. I had a cat scan about 5 wks ago to see if i had any stones the doctor at the ER said none showed up but said i could still have them but there very small & they should flush out by there self. My level of vitamin D3 after 10wks is now @ 51.6 from 27.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:48 AM   #8
(female)

aprilraincaleb HB User

I agree with alot your advice. Also acid reflux can be a cause of yeast overgrowth in your gut messing up the PH balance. Yeast over growth can be brought on by antibotics,stress,processed foods which can kill the good bacteria in your gut over the years and the good bacteria keeps the yeast from being able to over grow but once the good bacteria is killed by many things then the yeast has a chance to over grow & cause problems.

Last edited by aprilraincaleb; 07-08-2009 at 01:49 AM.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

firebird56 HB User

Yes, I had "gerd" & Vit. D deficiency. Remember, vit d is what helps you to absorb calcium (that's what affects bones). I would strongly recommend you investigate parathyroid information. The above, as well as high calcium (anywhere in the ten range) & your PTH level in concurrence with bone loss could be indicative of a "growth".

Old 03-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
(female)

desertrose6277 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilraincaleb View Post
I never had heartburn or any type acid reflux except during my pregnancies, i had a little heartburn. I've just discovered a little over 6 wks ago I was Vitamin D deficient @ 27 . I really don't feel burning in my throat like regular heartburn. Its more like the food comes back up a little & starts to irritate my throat. I seen a gastro doc & had a endoscopy to see if i had a ulcer or the Helicobacter pylori but i did not have a ulcer. The doctor said everything looked normal. I'm just baffled if Vitamin d deficiency can weakening the lower esophageal sphincter because it is a muscle & they say vitamin D deficiency make you have weak muscles, weak bones, etc.
You know what? I hadn't thought about it until now...but I did start getting heartburn before I was diagnosed deficient. I had never had it before either. My level was only 7 when they found my problem. I haven't had any problems since I started taking the 50,000 IU pills.

And the weak bones thing is true. One of my teeth has completely broken off and I was just getting ready to research rather I can get the rest of the tooth pulled while taking such large doses of D.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
(female)

Mitch5 HB User

I am becoming a scholar in D Deficiency since I have it, I was just involved in a two month research study so I have learned a lot through two very intelligent endocrinologists who have told me that digestive issues are ALL a part of D Deficiency. First of all D Deficiency is a HORMONE Deficiency since they are realizing this is a hormone, not a vitamin, and that is why it messes up your neuroendocrine system along with practically every other organ in your body! D Deficient people have neuropathy externally that will get better whenever you are treated and they are also realizing that muscles and neuropathy tendencies can occur internally, especially in your GI tract whenever you are D Deficient as well. It absolutely explains why you had these symptoms and why they will get better with treatment.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

Many deficiencies can be tied to reflux and reflux caused by low stomach acid. I suspect it's a combination, I've been dealing with it for about a year or a year and a half. I've started magnesium in high doses, iodine now, and I'm brining up my zinc to theraputic levels to see if any of them will cause my acid to recover in my stomach and stop my reflux. When I started my d suppliments my reflux started however FYI. I will take D suppliments again when the fall starts.

Closed Thread