It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
(male)

dragon90 HB User
pill swallowing

i know this stupid but im afraid to swallow pills. can anyone help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: pill swallowing

Mix them up in something you like to swallow like ice cream, jam,applesauce,peanut butter or something like that. Some pills you can crush and mix with things. and some pills come in liquid form. I think in the long run you should figure out why you are afraid of swallowing a pill...my mother always had trouble swallowing pills not because she was afraid but because they always would get stuck so she took them with something other than water...things like milk or orange juice...something a little thicker makes it easier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
(female)

Jenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB User

I too was very afraid of swallowing pills. I had choked a long time ago and it made me afraid for years. I then had to get on pills that could not be chewed or broken, so I had to get over my fear. I always have to use tap water and a lot of it. I take a deep breath put the pill in my mouth and swallow a lot of water. Try to relax and it will go down. Good luck and don't give up, it will take time.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
(female)

ren1988 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon90 View Post
i know this stupid but im afraid to swallow pills. can anyone help?
Well when I was younger I would vomit from liquid medicine, and I couldn't swallow pills. I would pretend to take them until my dad started wanting to watch me and then he's check my mouth. lame. Anyway, I found the easiest way is to stick it on the back of your tongue, right before your throat and lean your head back and drink water and swallow. It is the easiest way ever, I can now take mutiple ones at a time like that...well unless my tonsils are swollen like they are now.. Gluck to you.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

What helps me is to put the pill in my mouth and take kind of a big swig of water and toss my head back while swallowing. It seems to make the pill go down easier. I've had rather large pills feel like they got stuck sideways a few times but I just keep drinking water and the feeling goes away.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I can take pills alright, but one particular pill I take tends to get stuck in my throat quite easily. I found that it definitely helps to take it with applesauce or another slippery food. I also suggest sticking the pill on the back of your tongue, so it's close to your throat. Then just take a drink (or a spoonful of applesauce, ice cream, etc) and just focus on swallowing the liquid or food, not the pill itself. The pill will go right down on its own. I found that the gel pills are easier to swallow, tablets can vary, and the plastic capsules are the ones that tend to get my stuck in my throat. I read on another post that turning your head to the side, then to the other side if you need to, can help the pill ease down your throat. And hey, it worked for me! Now I don't have to chug the entire bottle of water attempting to get the pill down.

Good luck!! You can do it!

Old 09-15-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

It takes practise to swallow pills. I suggest you try a large straw. Put the pill either at the back of your tongue or in the hollow if you can fold your tongue into a little cup shape. Then take a big drink from the straw, sucking strongly so you get a good stream of water. The pill should disappear in the stream and go down your throat.

Of course if you tense up your throat it will be hard to swallow anything, so you need to relax your throat. Practise using the straw to just swallow water and notice how your throat is open to allow the water to go down. Now put the pill in place and relax in the same way.

Last edited by orion; 09-15-2009 at 02:33 AM.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
(male)

Realize HB User

eat spagettios and practice swallowing as many as you can.. you'll find that you can actually just literally drink them. Then start working on swallowing as much mash potatoes as you can.. you'll realize that with the amount of mash potatoes and spagettios , that you can most likely swallow many pills at the same time. Put one in your mouth and just drink it with water.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realize View Post
eat spagettios and practice swallowing as many as you can.. you'll find that you can actually just literally drink them. Then start working on swallowing as much mash potatoes as you can.. you'll realize that with the amount of mash potatoes and spagettios , that you can most likely swallow many pills at the same time. Put one in your mouth and just drink it with water.

This is a good idea practicing with slippery foods. Now that I think about it, my brother first learned to swallow pills by practing with tic tacs. Since they weren't actual pills, he was more comfortable with it and can take his time, since the taste wouldn't be bad if he couldn't successfully swallow it. This worked great for him!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
(male)

Realize HB User

Practicing with something that tastes good or is slippery is really the way to go.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
(female)

holahanson HB User

You have to make sure it's okay to do this with every pill you take, but what I sometimes do is cut mine in half (like my multivitamin; it's huge... way too big for me to swallow) I cut mine into two halves and it's way easier to swallow. However, ask your doctor, because I have had some pills in the past that couldn't be cut in half (and obviously, the liquid gel ones can't be either)

Closed Thread