It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Am I Supposed to Take a Ratio of Omega 3-6-9 or Just Omega-3?

Hi, everyone.

I took a supplement drink a few years ago that had Omega 3-6-9 in it and I felt it helped with my depression and mood. I also have achy joints (runs in the family) so I have been taking Omegas ever since. I never noticed any difference in my joint pain though.

I couldn't afford to take the drink every day so I asked the maker of the drink and he suggested I take hemp seed oil because I could get the same 3-6-9 from it.

I never really felt anything great from the hemp seed oil, but continued to take it because I really respect his opinion.

I just read recently that we are getting too much Omega-6 in our diets and not enough Omega-3. I didn't see anything about Omega-9.

Could I please get advice about this? I have stopped the hemp seed oil until I hear from people on this board.

I was thinking about Salmon Oil capsules?...I took good quality fish oil capsules for years before the hemp seed oil and noticed no difference in depression or joint pain.

Hope some of you can help.

Thank you!!!

Salty

Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

point08 HB User
Re: Am I Supposed to Take a Ratio of Omega 3-6-9 or Just Omega-3?

Omega 6 is overly abundant in everyones diet and you do not need to supplement with it. Omega 9 is required in limited amounts and is adequetly supplied in diet. Omega 3 is by far the most important to supplement with. Hemp oil is a very good oil but it only supplies ALA. Flax oil is the same. Fish oil supplies DHA and EPA. While all three omegas are important DHA and EPA are the most useful. A good quality fish oil is important as some products are oxidized. (rancid). Nordic Naturals is the best followed by Carlsons.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by point08 View Post
Omega 6 is overly abundant in everyones diet and you do not need to supplement with it. Omega 9 is required in limited amounts and is adequetly supplied in diet. Omega 3 is by far the most important to supplement with. Hemp oil is a very good oil but it only supplies ALA. Flax oil is the same. Fish oil supplies DHA and EPA. While all three omegas are important DHA and EPA are the most useful. A good quality fish oil is important as some products are oxidized. (rancid). Nordic Naturals is the best followed by Carlsons.
Along this line, I like Krill oil. Krill has no fishy taste or after burps. It is lower on the food chain so not likely to have mercury problems as with other fish.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Both of you, thank you so much for writing.

I have been taking salmon oil in capsules. Is that okay?

Salty

Old 09-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
(female)

MissMuse HB User
Smile Re: Am I Supposed to Take a Ratio of Omega 3-6-9 or Just Omega-3?

Hi Salty,

One more thing to consider is that I recently read that Omega-6 is supposed to increase inflammation in the body, while Omegas-3 and 9 are both anti-inflammatories, Omega-3 being the most anti-inflammatory of those two. I take a fish oil supplement, myself, as well as flaxseed. I'm thinking that in my next purchase of fish oil, I might opt for an Omega-3 only supplement. One does need all three in the diet, but in varying amounts.

~Colleen

Medications: 50mg of Sertraline and 20mg generic Prilosec

Classes: Interested in DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy)

Old 09-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you, Colleen, how many salmon oil capsules do you think i should take per day? They are 1,000mg each.

hugs,
Salty

Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Could someone please tell me how many 1,000mg salmon capsules i should be taking per day for Omega-3? I am only taking one now...don't know if that's enough or not.

Thank you,
Salty

Old 09-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow, point08, thank you sooo much. I still haven't totally comprehended all that--what i do know is i did go off the omega 6 and 9 which i'm glad of.

I'm currently just taking salmon oil capsules--1,000 mg. per pill (one per day). I get terrible PMS...migraines, aches, depression/anxiety.

I don't eat beef.

i have to go through all of this and re-read and i'm sure re-read again, i weigh 125, how many capsules do you suggest i take?

Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate all the time you took to do that. Others will benefit from reading it too.

hugs,
Salty

Last edited by salty; 09-29-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added

Old 09-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
(female)

MissMuse HB User

Point08,

I wanted to ask a question: in the cut and paste, it says that they will sometimes sell meat under the falsity that it's entirely grass fed. How can I be sure the meat is entirely grass fed?

Salty,

I'm not sure exactly how many mg of Omega-3's are necessary. I know it's more than the standard dietary guidelines would suggest, but I don't know the exact amount. I'm still trying to figure that out, myself . I'll keep checking back to see if anyone answers your question with certainty.

Medications: 50mg of Sertraline and 20mg generic Prilosec

Classes: Interested in DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy)

Old 09-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you, MissMuse!

Salty

Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Anyone, i now hope the salmon capsules will help my joints...bad backache and am trying to prevent further ones...

wish i knew how many to take...

upped it to 3, but it had a laxative effect, so am now taking 2.

Any feedback would be great.

Thank you,
Salty

Closed Thread