It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
What might cause low Vitamin D levels?

My wife's test for Vitamin D 25 was 16.1ng/mL on 4/30/09 and I gave her 400 IUs --3 times daily until 9/4/09( 4months + 4days) she was tested again and the level was 17.0ng/mL with a ref. range of 32.0-100.0.

The testing Lab was LabCorp and their reference note on the test results-- said that "Recent studies consider a lower limit of 32.0ng/mL to be a threshold for optimal health." Hollis BW. J Nutr. 2005 Feb. ;135(2):317-22.

Since Sept 9 after ordering some D3 vitamins supplements, she now takes 2000 IUs -- 3 times daily ---a Carlsons Lab 2000 D3 gel cap and 2 NSI Vitacost 2000 IUs D3 capsule.

I have read many articles about the affects of low levels of Vitamin D-- basically resulting in problem in-- poor calcium absorption, diabetes, blood pressure, muscle weakness & pain, cancer--of the breast, lungs, skin, colon, prostate and bone. And D is not well absorbed in fat or obese people.

I did call the Doctor of 16 years and his receptionist said-- he is not ready to do anything yet-- I did tell her what we were doing--- next appt is --12/21/09.

One of the more comprehensive article I found is on the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University-- edu. They recommend taking an oral supplement of 2000 IUs of D3 (cholecalciferol).

I like many of you would like to know what hinders oral vitamin D3 absorption ---not including age and lack of sunshine.

There are not many foods that contain D except fish & fortied milk and some cereals.

Thanks for sharing --- Harry

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-27-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
(male)

guy in AU HB User
Re: Which Vitamin D?

Any disorder which reduces absorbsion of fat will reduce absorbsion of vitamin d because it is soluable in fat.

The human diet is usualy low in Vitamin D, most of our supply comes from sunshine.

Your wife should take each pill with some fat - a spoon of peanut butter, a fish oil capsule, a cracker with some butter on it etc.

I would also suggest she spends 10 minutes a day sitting in the sun, with her face, arms and hands exposed, getting some vitamin d the way humans have since the begining of time.

A course of the 50 000iu prescription strength pills might rapidly get her levals up, and then, the 2000iu OTC ones would keep them there.

Last edited by guy in AU; 09-27-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
(male)

guy in AU HB User
Re: I'M CHEAP - Which Vitamin D Liquid Works!

What do you mean by having it tested? Ensuring that there realy is 2000iu in the pill?

No, but then again, I havent had my multivitamins or my ibuprofen or my ex-lax tested to prove they have what the lable says..... I just buy the products of reputable manufacturers (big drug houses, rather than small health food firms) and hope that their quality control is good.

I also live in Australia, and get ample sun exposure, so I probably dont realy need a supplement.

Last edited by guy in AU; 09-27-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

AS you may know all vitamins as well as supplement are not controlled in the States.

But I was asking about the D3 in your blood.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
(male)

guy in AU HB User

No, i havent... I am only 38, I take a multi and a 2000iu supplement, and get some sun exposure.

Vitamins arnt as well regulated as drugs here either, thats why I tend to buy the products of big drug companies, I assume that their internal controls will be better than some tin pot place making capsules of dried stink weed and bat sweat haha

Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
Re: What might cause low Vitamin D levels?

I am also quite curious about this issue which is fairly new to me. I don't know why I never heard of this problem for many years and now I hear of it quite often. In fact I heard a doctor say that to not conduct a Vitamin D test on a patient is now days considered malpractice!

My level was originally very low.(I had cut out most milk and cheese to lower my calories, but did eat lots of leafy greens. I also stopped tanning.)

My doctor recommended me start taking 1000 units per day orally and after 4 months it is now up to 25, which my lab says is still in a deficiency category. My MD says to keep taking the same amount. I also have hypothyroidism.

I have certain health issues mainly sore, stiff, muscles and now pain in the legs, that I am not sure if it caused by the hypothyroidism or the Vitamin D deficiency. I intend to get more answers when I see a Rheumatoligist next month. I saw a documentary recently where an adult man had Ricketts! Really.

I would be interested to know if you run across any additional information on the effects of Vitamin D deficiency. I really read a medical article that links it to weight gain. I'll have to try to locate the link.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-06-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: What might cause low Vitamin D levels?

I think it's a part of modern life - fattening but nutritiously empty diet, indoors all day, SPF sunscreen, etc.

My doctor described vitamin D as a "wide basin" that should be full, replenished everyday even though it's slowly being emptied (used by the body). If it's not full, to fill it back up again you need high doses. I took Rx 50,000 IU gel tab twice weekly for four months. My lab started at 10, went to 18 after two months and jumped to 50 after two more months.

My doc also said the vitamin D bloodtests aren't terribly accurate and some docs are hesitant to act on them.

16 or 17 sounds really low to me, although this NIH link on D: ( http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp ) says anything higher than 15 is "Generally considered adequate for bone and overall health in healthy individuals."

I had early signs of osteoporosis in my DEXA scan, I was 38 at the time, that's what motivated my doctor to check my vit D levels.

Thyroid disorders, kidney problems, and malabsorption syndromes (Lactose intolerance, Celiac disease, irritable bowel, Crohn's and colitis) can cause low D despite even high dose replacement.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 10-06-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Closed Thread