It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Vitamin D Supplementation

My vitamin d level is very low

I was given 50,000 units of Vitamin D in a prescription but I didn't fill it yet.

I wanted to see how I did on the commercial pills at 1,000 units.

Well I didn't do well.

It made me very anxious.

So now I am afraid to fill the prescription or take the over the counter pills.

What do I do?

I looked into sun lamps - but read they cause skin cancer.

Anyone have any ideas on this topic.

Looly

Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Vitamin D Supplementation

Are you certain that the anxiety from taking the Vit D is not a placebo effect for you? I suffer from anxiety but take 5000 IU of Vitamin D several times a week and have never had a single side effect from it. I have a number of friends that also take high doses of vit D (due to living in a northern clime) and they all report no side effects, also.

You could get Vitamin D from tanning but it's not safe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looly View Post
I looked into sun lamps - but read they cause skin cancer.
The ultraviolet light in sunlight causes your skin to generate vitamin D. However, too much causes sunburn and increases the risk of skin cancer. If your skin is dark, the amount of ultraviolet light needed to generate vitamin D is greater; so is the amount of ultraviolet light needed to cause sunburn and increase the risk of skin cancer.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Were you taking D2 or D3?

Old 01-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Looly, vitamin D's main function in the body is to put the calcium to work in your body. This is the main purpose for Vitamin D. From what I've studied and experienced, the calcium is the body's best healer for most things in the body that are not working properly. Vitamin D and calcium work hand in hand. Vitamin D is a calcium regulator. You see, vitamin D will go get the calcium in your body and put it to work for you. That's really all it does. You might want to make sure you take some calcium along with the vitamin D. And, as far as the 1,000 iu dosage goes. It sounds like alot, but 1,000IU is a ridiculously low dosage in my opinion. You would probably get that amount of vitamin D naturally from less than an hour in the sun. To put it into perspective for you. A long time ago, they used to sell Vitamin D in Milligrams. You could get one, two, five, or ten mg of vitamin D. Guess how many IU (international units) it takes to equal 1.5 mg of vitamin D. 50,000 IU. What I am trying to say is 50,000 IU is really not as much vitamin D as you think. Furthermore, 1000IU is really almost an insignificant amount relative to what your body gets naturally from the sun on about any given day. The vitamin D I am referring to here is Vitamin D3. I am not a doctor and these are just my findings from about 5 years studying on the subject. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I took 1,000 IU's of D 3.

I may experiment again next week. I do have anxiety issues without D3 but never felt like I did after the three days on the supplement.

I know I have to give it a try again because I am so deficient. It would be a godsend to me to be able to buy a Vitamin D Sunlamp but I hear you all. Obviously I don't want to add cancer to my problems.

Thanks for your replies

Loo

Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Loo-

Good for you.

I have severe anxiety about new supplements/drugs and oftentimes will end up with anxiety issues that I have to figure out...is it the drug, or just me? I'm thinking that the D3 is probably not the cause of your anxiety. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

I take 2000 - 3000 IU a day of Vitamin D3 and it's made me feel much better. It also raised my D levels to normal - and quickly!! I can't imagine why Vit. D would make you feel anxious? The prescription Vitamin D didn't do anything at all - and I tried it twice. A waste of time and money.

Maybe you are different in B vitamins, or calcium or magnesium, or maybe you're eating too much sugar, caffeine, or soda pop? Those can all cause anxiety. Just a suggestion.

Never use a sunlamp or a tanning bed. Never, ever, ever, ever.

Last edited by Arggg; 01-21-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
(female)

coping1 HB User

Looly,
I was taking 50,000 IU a week for a long time and it barely raised my levels. My doc switched me to 6000 mg/day of Vit D3 (the 50,000's are D2) and my levels are almost up to normal. She said that the D3 is absorbed better.
I have had no side effects from either, except that I have more energy.
I would definitely try taking the pills over a sunlamp. Much safer!

Good luck!!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Coping1, that's probably 6,000 IU/day of Vit. D3 instead of 6,000 mg/day isn't it?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
(female)

coping1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyneteck View Post
Coping1, that's probably 6,000 IU/day of Vit. D3 instead of 6,000 mg/day isn't it?
Yes Lyneteck,
You are right, I meant 6000 IU D3!
Thanks!!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

I can get anxiety, and affiliate it with major changes to vitamins and medications, and make superfilious associations, when my body's reacting to my fear or something else that Iv'e change altogether. So it can be tricky to try to figure out. Maybe the high numbers in the D's are freaking you out. Sometimes Dr.'s and others try to scare you and make you think you may take too much of a good thing and that it might hurt you. But try to relax.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Vitamin D Deficiency

May I ask you all a question. Do you think that if I wait a few weeks until I begin Vit D regimen I will hurt myself.

I am holding off because I have strong reason to believe that Vit D gave me a side effect of anxiety after taking it.

I have something important within the next few weeks and don't want to resume it until I am free to take it.

I live in NYC. I spent the weekend in the sun - one hour Sat and Sun in beautiful warm sun on my deck but I am really feeling guilty ignoring my supplements.

What would you do?

This really is a problem.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #14
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Yeah, wait until your special event is over. Most people here probably don't think that the anxiety is a side effect of the Vitamin D. But our minds play a very significant role in our health. Worrying about an anxiety attack can bring about an anxiety attack. The best thing that you can do is to educate yourself as much as possible. Which is apparently what you are doing by being here on this board. And also, you need to try to keep a positive attitude toward things. And the most important thing in this world to do is to laugh as much as humanly possible. Don't let life's stresses beat you up. Life is a miracle gift. We only get one shot at it. Enjoy it. Laughter is absolutely the best medicine that money can't buy. So, after your big event is over and you have removed some of the things that cause you worry and stress in your life, and after you have found some things that make you happy and that make you laugh until you cry. Then, you can keep your chin up and begin taking your Vitamin D again. Do it when you are ready. And remember, it's not a drug. It's a vitamin. Just think of it this way. Is it possible to eat too many fruits and vegetables and to get too many nutrients in my body to make me unhealthy? Yes, it is REMOTELY possible, but HIGHLY unlikely. Vitamin D comes from the sun. Taking Vitamin D gives you the wonderful benefits of being in the sunshine all day with out the sunburn. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Lyneteck; 02-28-2010 at 05:38 AM.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
(female)

Mitch5 HB User

I have just started 5000 IU of D3 for a severely low number of Vitamin D and yes, I have a jittery feeling for about an hour after taking the D3. I started last Thursday but I am finding it is lessening as the days move along. It wasn't that bad to begin with either. Just a bit of an annoyance. The pros of finally getting a normal D Level and my horrible symptoms getting better far outweighs the slight jittery feeling I get while taking the D3. I figure I cannot feel any worse than I do being severely D Deficient anyway and it's all for the greater good. lol.

Last edited by Mitch5; 04-05-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Closed Thread