It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Vitamin D deficiency, calcium & stomach issues...

I was found to have low vit. D levels(17) three years ago. I was prescribed the usual 50,000 IU to take weekly, but only last three weeks, as I got worsened insomnia, faster heartrate(already somewhat fast), headache, and higher b/p. I quit. I just tried to get along with my fortified Lactaid milk and a little bit of sunshine.

My question is, for many years I have been trying to take calcium supplements, and they all make by stomach bloat(look pregant!) and of course get extremely constipated. Tried all kinds of brands, so brands are not making a difference. I tried taking them and taking Miralax everyday also, but it doesn't help the bloating. I used to take calcium in my earlier years(now 50) with all my pregnancies and never had a problem before.

I know vit. D is needed to absorb calcium from the intestine. Does anyone who used to be deficient ever have this problem of calcium just feeling like it sits in your stomach like a lead ball? THEN, when you corrected your vit. D, did taking calcium get easier?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
Re: Vitamin D deficiency, calcium & stomach issues...

I wish I knew the answer. My Vitamin D level was 16 and I'm on 50,000 per week too. I have lots of questions about the calcium and magnesum. I have a call in to my doctor. I'll post if I get my answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

You could buy some of the 2000iu capsules of vitamin d that are easily avaliable over the counter or online.

For your calcium, you could try drinking 2 glasses of milk a day if you cant tolorate the tablets. Have you tried Citrical? Its a different form of calcium to most supplements?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Sue,

Have you tried Ezorb Calcium? You don't need to take it with any other supplements for absorption. Also, a good vitamin D3 is made by Biotics and is called Bio-D-Mulsion Forte. It is easy to take in one or two drops a day for 2000 to 4000 IU. No taste at all.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

the way I understood it, vitamin D helps to absorb the calcium so if you are short on vitamin D, you might not be getting enough calcium into the bones where its needed. So even if you go and take a calcium supplement, if you are still low in vitamin D you won't get the full value from the extra calcium because it won't get used.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

I agree with 1965 Bruce and his post above, by the way. Vitamin D isn't REQUIRED to absorb calcium in the intestines, it will absorb without. However, it certainly enhances absorption and that's why some supplements are combined with Vitamin D. To cross the cell membrane however, Vitamin D will need a lipid-soluble vehicle, so you might need to take it with a meal.

Since we are also concerned about calcium absorption by itself I have heard about Ezorb Calcium and have read good success about it. Calcium citrate probably absorbs pretty well too. But it couldn't hurt to have Vitamin D present and to take them all together with a meal.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

one of the things I was wondering is, are there any outward signs in a person of a low vitamin D level.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1234 View Post
I was found to have low vit. D levels(17) three years ago. I was prescribed the usual 50,000 IU to take weekly, but only last three weeks, as I got worsened insomnia, faster heartrate(already somewhat fast), headache, and higher b/p. I quit. I just tried to get along with my fortified Lactaid milk and a little bit of sunshine.

My question is, for many years I have been trying to take calcium supplements, and they all make by stomach bloat(look pregant!) and of course get extremely constipated. Tried all kinds of brands, so brands are not making a difference. I tried taking them and taking Miralax everyday also, but it doesn't help the bloating. I used to take calcium in my earlier years(now 50) with all my pregnancies and never had a problem before.

I know vit. D is needed to absorb calcium from the intestine. Does anyone who used to be deficient ever have this problem of calcium just feeling like it sits in your stomach like a lead ball? THEN, when you corrected your vit. D, did taking calcium get easier?

I urge you if you haven't checked your stomach acid levels, it sounds like you have what I do, achlorhydria(no stomach acid production) or hypoachlorhydria(low stomach acid), it is clear symptoms are bloating and calcium or antiacid like drugs may only make it worse by reverse treating it.

Closed Thread