It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Could REALLY use some advice..

Hi there. I am really hoping to get some vitamin/supplement advice as my Dr doesn't even believe in them and I know from experience they do indeed help. I realize this is not medical advice...but your thoughts would be SOOO appreciated. I currently take a long list of stuff and as you know I am sure, it gets VERY costly. I wonder which of these I really need, which I do not and maybe there are some I am missing.

I am a 36 year old mom in WI. I have issues with the following:

SVT (tachycardia with palpitations - take a beta blocker for it)
depression
extreme fatigue
anxiety
seasonal allergies
quitting smoking
weight loss
PMDD

Here is a list of what I am taking (including medications):

Metoprolol - heart
Wellbutrin - depression
Klonopin - anxiety
Zyrtec - seasonal allergies
Low Dose Aspirin (heart health)
Fish Oil (1200 twice a day - heart health)
CoQ10 (heart health)
B-100 Complex (take to combat fatigue)
Vitamin C (I know I do not get enough in diet)
NAC (n-Acetyl Cystine) - take this for depression and PMDD
Selenium (suggested by mother)
Cinnamon (sugar levels - family hx of fatal diabetes - weight loss??)

I wonder if I should switch the B Complex to just a B-12. Do I need selenium? How much fish oil is beneficial? Is CoQ10 necessary with the fish oil? Is taking cinnamon silly??

Again, I would really appreciate any help anyone can give!!!

Thank you.

Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ladybuglove HB User
Re: Could REALLY use some advice..

Your taking a lot of pills thats hard on the liver, see if you can cut some out by diet for example on the fish oil can you do salmon or more fish in your diet? On the B vitamins are you eating enough meat most Americans do eat more than enough.. try to see what you can replace with food. Like the cinammon, add it on your oatmeal fresh cinammon would be best. My father has diabeties it would take a LOT of cinammon to combat your genes..I say blah to that one and just add it to your food and EXERCISE is key! Vitamin C you don't like oranges? Asprin good for the heart bad for the stomach..thats the downfall to that one, asprin can cause stomach problems such as ulcers. Your taking a lot of vitamins plus the combo of medication seems to be a lot to process and to entwine with each other what you think your helping could be hurting. Try to aim for diet thats my best advice. But if you worried go in for a nutritional vitamin blood test I make it part of my yearly general exam it cost a tad extra but I like to see how I am doing, and it will evaluate the levels of every vitamin I figure this way Im not too under or too over. Every year though I find out that im in normal range..with just a simple multivitamin. (Alive liquid- this is what I take)

* Plus your only 36 I don't think your 90 yet.. slow down on the pills and go for high nutrition while your young! I do believe that food will help every single disease you listed more than any vitamin! Everytime you grab something out the fridge think...which vitamin am I supporting today you can even use a diary! Best of Care

Last edited by ladybuglove; 06-04-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

A daily capsule of "Twinlab Daily One" would provide a wide spectrum of minerals and vitamins, and could replace a lot of your pills with one, while giving you better nutritional coverage.

If you're fatiuged, some extra iron could help.

For your blood sugar levals, chromium picolinate has a good leval of evidence for it.

Of course, any supplements need to be discussed with your doctor or pharmacist.

Last edited by jonnstar; 06-05-2010 at 05:34 AM.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

If you want to take something for your blood glucose levels gymnema syl (extract) might be a better choice than cinnamon. One capsule a day should work well.

Have you had your thyroid checked to make sure you are not hypothyroid, which would contribute to fatigue as well as other symptoms mentioned?

Best!

Jen

Closed Thread