It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User
Is it better to take a Vit D supplement by itself or in a Multivitamin ?

Just curious
Is it better to take a Vit D supplement,no calcium, by itself or in a Multivitamin ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Is it better to take a Vit D supplement by itself or in a Multivitamin ?

Most multi's only have 200 to 400 IU of Vit D. Most people benefit more from taking 1000-5000 IU a day of Vit D. I take 5000 IU a day in D3. So I would say take it separate or in addition to your multi. Keep in mind that Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin, so it requires fat in order to be absorbed. For that reason, you should take it with food, ideally with your largest meal of the day because it will have the most fat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Is it better to take a Vit D supplement by itself or in a Multivitamin ?

I agree with EagleRiverDee. I'd take it separately with a meal. If you take it with a meal, it is not necessary to have calcium in the supplement itself for absorption. That can be an overrated misconception. Vitamin D MUST have lipids present to absorb. Calcium? Nope.

Personally I don't really like multivitamins. Keeping the chemistry in mind, I just don't see how you can mix fat and water soluble vitamins together in a little tablet without stabilization issues. But that's up to you to decide.

Closed Thread