It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

BAHAMAS HB User
Vitamins & minerals – length of time they stay in your system & types best absorbed

I have epilepsy & ataxia & am hoping to reduce or possibly eliminate some if not all of my medication using a regime of Vitamins & minerals. Could someone please tell me how long these vitamins and minerals stay active in your system , & also which forms of a particular vitamin or mineral is the best absorbed.

Vitamin C (esther C) =
Vitamin D =
Vitamin E =
Vitamin B 6 =
Vitamin B 12 =
Vitamin = A

Calcium =
Magnesium =
Co-enzyme Q-10 =

Omega 3 =
Glucosamine sulphate

As well any others that you can think of.

Thank you , Craig

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Vitamins & minerals – length of time they stay in your system & types best absorb

Looking above at your list here, several of them absorb very well. Vitamin C, B6 and B12 will absorb fairly well. However, B12 doesn't do so well if you eat a fatty/oily meal. These are all water-soluble.

The next best absorbed would be magnesium, calcium and omega 3. Magnesium and calcium it depends on the type of bonding, such as magnesium citrate does really well, whereas magnesium carbonate not so well. Since Mg and Ca have the same ionic charge, that rule is in effect for both. Omega 3 to the best of my knowledge absorbs well with or without food.

In fact, the vitamins listed thus far should absorb pretty well with or without food. Vitamin D, E, and A will absorb better if eaten with a meal. These are fat soluble. Hopefully, your D is vitamin D3 and most of your E is alpha-tocopherol. All 3 mentioned here are fat-soluble, so for best absorption you would need some fat (or just eat a meal). Vitamin A is interesting because although fat-soluble, it is the easiest of the 3 to be absorbed on a little amount of fat present.

Co-Q 10 is poorly absorbed and in my opinion, I would choose NOT to supplement with it. It is not absorbed well and can be sensitive to stomach pH. However, you can absorb some and it is fat soluble.

The water solubles will not last all that long in the blood stream. I'd say at a matter of hours (meal to meal). The fat solubles stay for quite awhile. In other words, any not used will be stored by the body (liver).

The calcium and magnesium will stay a bit longer than the water soluble vitamins.

Glucosamine sulfate I do not know enough about to comment on that. Sorry.

I hope at least some of this is helpful. Remember when supplementing, whole foods are best. When you add in supplements, remember micronutrition. Do not take too much of each; just use long-term moderation.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-09-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread