It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User
Vitamin D Supplement Not Working

Since I can't swallow pills, I've been taking a liquid ergocalciferol (50,000 IU/week) to increase my vitamin D level of 5. It got up to 24 and then I switched to a less expensive brand. I used Carlson Ddrops (50,000 IU/week) and my levels went back down to 5. I then went back to the liquid ergocalciferol drops and after 2 months it's only at a 6.
Why isn't my body absorbing the supplements?

The Following User Says Thank You to MISSYJOY For This Useful Post:
Solodream (05-16-2012)
Old 10-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User
Re: Vitamin D Supplement Not Working

And what your doctor says??

Ergocalciferol is the Vit. D found in vegetables and is not very efficient to increase your serum levels, you will be better off with Vit. D3 (cholecalciferol). Is better if you take in in an oily solution and with a fat meal.

If you really are so low, (the reliable test is the "25-hydroxy-vitamin D" and the target value should be about 50) I think you should get a Dr. to control you.

Good Luck.

Jesus

The Following User Says Thank You to jeda For This Useful Post:
Solodream (05-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User

Yes I am working with a doctor. He suggested that I see an endocrinologist but while I'm waiting for an appointment, I wondered what everyone thought.
The last time I took the ergocalciferol, the levels did improve. Just don't know why they didn't budge this time.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Well, there's a lot of things that can be going on here. There's a lot of things that could be different between your two times of using the liquid supplements you mention. Diet could have changed for one thing. You may have taken the first time with meals while the second time around you did not, etc. We just have no way of knowing this. If you can think of anything different, I would post it.

SOMETHING obviously changed. The cheaper brand may not be nearly as high quality as your first brand. This happens all the time in the supplement world. I do agree though, that if you want your levels to really get up there, above 50 ng/mL, then you will likely have to supplement with D3, taken with a meal containing a little fat. D3 is the natural form while D2 is actually synthetic.

The Following User Says Thank You to bdrunner79 For This Useful Post:
Solodream (05-16-2012)
Old 10-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User

Thanks for the reply. The brand that I used was Drisdol oral- a liquid form of the pill that most people are prescribed. After 3-6 months, the levels went from 4 to 25. I was still trying to get it up much higher. I paid over $100 for this.
Then I took the inexpensive ddrops. I even had the blood test repeated because I couldn't believe that levels dropped from 25 back to 5.
Went back on the Drisdol oral and 2 months later no change -- still at 5. My diet is the same.
I think my doctor is very knowledgable but when questioned about D2 vs. D3, he seemed to think it didn't matter, as the body converts D2 into D3. I wonder if there's something going on that is preventing my body from absorbing properly. I have no medical conditions and had my thyroid and calcium levels checked (along with other routine blood work) and it's all normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to MISSYJOY For This Useful Post:
Solodream (05-16-2012)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User

Yes, possibly there is something going on preventing you from totally absorbing the vitamin but I wouldn't give up yet. Also, I think most MD's do not receive much (if any) training in vitamin therapy. I question his statement about D-2 and D-3 being equal. D2 is synthetic and in high doses can be toxic.

I take a very good brand of D-3 by Biotics Research called Bio-D Mulsion Forte. There is another brand called Bio D Mulsion but you would need the one with the "Forte" on the end of the name. 1 drop = 2000 IU D3, 2 drops = 4,000 IU. I've recommended this to many people and all said it raised their levels.

I can't remember if you mentioned trying this, but 20 minutes of noonday sun directly on your skin is the best way to get vitamin D. People with medical conditions or who have other trouble absorbing D often need additional help.

Best,

Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
Solodream (05-16-2012)
Old 11-01-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

Just another thought,

Are you taken any other medication?? Pills to get slimmer or to protect your stomach?

If you go for sun baths do not use any protection on the skin not even normal make up.

Jesus

Old 11-06-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Yes, possibly there is something going on preventing you from totally absorbing the vitamin but I wouldn't give up yet. Also, I think most MD's do not receive much (if any) training in vitamin therapy. I question his statement about D-2 and D-3 being equal. D2 is synthetic and in high doses can be toxic.

I take a very good brand of D-3 by Biotics Research called Bio-D Mulsion Forte. There is another brand called Bio D Mulsion but you would need the one with the "Forte" on the end of the name. 1 drop = 2000 IU D3, 2 drops = 4,000 IU. I've recommended this to many people and all said it raised their levels.

I can't remember if you mentioned trying this, but 20 minutes of noonday sun directly on your skin is the best way to get vitamin D. People with medical conditions or who have other trouble absorbing D often need additional help.

Best,

Jen
That's exactly true. Anytime your body must convert x to y, a lot is lost. D2 is not nearly as efficient as D3. The thing I cannot understand, is that D2 is usually prescription, but D3 you can get cheaper and just about anywhere.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User

I think that the reason most doctor's write Rx's for D3 is because there is one company that makes a prescription for 50,000 IU's. Even if it's not as potent, as least you are sure of what you're getting.
Guess they don't want to advise patients with severe deficiencies to take over-the- counter D2 since, as I'm sure you all know, there is no government regulation or standard on over-the-counter vitamins.
As far as sunshine, yes I am aware that 15-20 minutes per day should raise my levels, however it didn't work that way.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Take the supplement with a teaspoon of butter or margerine

Old 12-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

This is my 2nd time on that script vit d also. I take the 50,000 once a wk on Monday. I have a 12 month script for it. I have to go bk in 3 months , get it chkd.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User

What were your numbers?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I think the doc told me 34

Closed Thread