It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User
Are there any comprehensive diagnostic tests for vitamin/mineral deficiencies?

Hello everyone. I have been tested for a few different vitamin and mineral deficiencies. I was found to be deficient in Vitamin B6, severely deficient in Vitamin D, and slightly deficient in Iron.

I now take a generic One a Day multivitamin from my local CVS drugstore. I also take 2 Vitamin B6 tablets twice a day, one Vitamin D supplement once a week, and I take the multivitamin for help with my Iron levels as well as other possible vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

These deficiencies were found via blood tests and examination. I do feel a lot better now that I am increasing the levels of these vitamins and minerals in my body.

However, I suspect that I have more vitamin/mineral deficiencies that have not yet been discovered. Are there any comprehensive tests or a series of tests that can detect those so that they may be corrected? Thank you for your time!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Are there any comprehensive diagnostic tests for vitamin/mineral deficiencies?

The short answer, Yes. My doc regularly checks all my vitamin levels through blood work.

Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
wwwgirl (12-02-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Are there any comprehensive diagnostic tests for vitamin/mineral deficiencies?

Your multi should cover any deficiencies, so you shouldnt have anything to worry about provided you take it regularly.

Be careful about taking high doses of B5 over long periods, it can have a nasty side effect...... after a few weeks of treatment, just the multivitamin should be enough, without the additional B6

My ideal multivitamin is Twinlab Daily One with iron - it is high potency, well formulated, and you can buy it online for $20 for a six month supply.

If you're low in iron, a seperate iron tablet could help you as well

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-28-2010 at 11:24 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
wwwgirl (12-02-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
(female)

moreisbetter HB User

have your doc do a cbc and cmp.this will be a good baseline it tests your blood counts and your electrolytes

The Following User Says Thank You to moreisbetter For This Useful Post:
wwwgirl (12-02-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

A food based multivitamin is a good choice but if I were you I would also get the lab work on all your vitamin levels as you may be higher in some vitamins than is necessary and lower in others. This was true for me.

Re: iron. There is a difference between your serum and ferritin (stored iron in the body) levels. Deficiency in either one produces different symptoms.

I always ask for a copy of my lab work so I can also monitor things myself.

Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
wwwgirl (12-02-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User

Hello everyone. I am currently being treated for a severe Vitamin D deficiency, severe Calcium deficiency, Vitamin B6 deficiency, and a very slightly low Iron level.

I have been taking a daily multi-vitamin whenever I can. Unfortunately, I have had to be careful about taking it because it can interfere with an antibiotic I am on for bronchitis and sinusitis, Omnicef. I try to mak sure to make the vitamins 2 hours before/after the Omnicef as it says to do on the bottle. Unfortunately, there are times when I simply will not feel better unless I take the vitamins or minerals asap and have to take them anyway. Thankfully, I have not experienced any serious side effects from doing this.

Thanks for the advice!

Closed Thread