It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
(female)

9na HB User
Vitamin D deficiency - symptoms worse when menstruating?

Anyone else experienced this? It seems like it is like that for me - my period started 3-4 days ago, and the past couple of days have been just horrible. I can barely get up, and every ache and pain is far worse than they use to.

My symptoms are:
- chest pain - probably muscular. Sometimes hard to breathe.
- constantly tired/worn out (fatigue?)
- headache
- stomach-problems - mostly diarrhea
- dizziness
- back- and neck-pain
- tender spots in the head/scalp
- nausea
- hurting throat - feels a bit swollen often (gland, or something?)
- blurred vision - also red eyes and pressure/pain at the worst

I also wonder how long it will take before supplement of Vitamin D (D3, about 3000-4000 IU daily) makes me feel any improvement? And will the symptoms that arrived last, leave first?

Thankful for answers

Old 12-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Vitamin D deficiency - symptoms worse when menstruating?

The symptoms will go faster with a higher dose - you can buy 10 000 iu capsules from NSI (about 15 dollars for a years supply) - of course, this depends what dose your doctor has recomended.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
9na (12-13-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
(female)

9na HB User
Lightbulb Re: Vitamin D deficiency - symptoms worse when menstruating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
The symptoms will go faster with a higher dose - you can buy 10 000 iu capsules from NSI (about 15 dollars for a years supply) - of course, this depends what dose your doctor has recomended.
Thanks for your answer! I don't think doctors ever recommend or prescribe such high doses here in Norway.
My level of D was 31 nmol/L (should be 75-150), so I'm thinking it shouldn't take too long to reach a level within the 'normal range' at least...

I'm only 30, mom of two and feel like I'm literally losing important days, weeks and months of my life here, so I'm not very patient I'm afraid...

Last edited by 9na; 12-14-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Dear 9na, I really believe that you are right. I have been low on vitamin D every winter for the past few years. I usually get put on 50,000 units up vitamin D3 for a few weeks. I should have been faithful with my 5000 units of vitamin D3 coming into the winter. I think mine is so low right now. I should have had this checked lately. I just had a period 2 weeks ago that was ecrutiating. SO painful, bad cramps and heavy bleeding. Now I just ache all the time. Hands and legs are sore and achy...ugh. So I started back on the D3 tonight. I think its going to take a few weeks to bring it up. I am having an ultrasound of my uterus and female parts on wed. because of two bad periods. I am going through perimenopause so maybe its some of that, or maybe low D. Hopefully nothing serious. Let me know how you are. All the best!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
(female)

9na HB User

TEdds83 - Thank's for your answer! I really hope you are feeling better now!?
I have had quite a lot of good days lately, but there are som horrible ones from time to time... I've only been on D3-supplements for about 3 weeks, so I guess I have to be patient - I've read that it takes several months in many cases before the improvement can be noticed. (I started taking 3000 IUs a day, and changed my dose to 5000 IUs a week and a half ago).

I guess my next period will be here soon - hoping I won't have to be a complete wreck for a week or two this time!

Closed Thread