It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User
Do I Really Need Vitamin Supps?

Last summer along with starting regular medical checkups I thought i'd do something good for myself so I started using vitamin supplements - the multi-vitamin, one a day type. On a blood panel my doctor said I was ok in vitamin B, but Vitamin D was very deficient so he gave me the rx Vitamin D (50,000) supplements. He said it wouldn't hurt to use the multi-vitamin but also didn't say I needed it.

The question is, how do I know if I really need it or is this vitamin stuff just clever marketing? I've been on the multi for several months and honestly don't see any difference in how I feel or look due to it. As for Vitamin D, well the level has risen but is still low so he's giving me more of those supplements. Is there some sort of test that can determine if you're low in other areas? True, I don't get a tremendous amount of nutritional value from a lot of the food I eat but I'm fairly healthy. I just don't know if I'm wasting money or not.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Do I Really Need Vitamin Supps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965_Bruce View Post
Is there some sort of test that can determine if you're low in other areas?
There are tests to determine whether you are deficient in various vitamins and minerals, though most are not generally tested unless there is a specific reason (e.g. symptoms of deficiency, blood iron test before blood donation, etc.). Some doctors routinely test for the most common deficiencies.

Vitamin D is generally available from sunlight on your skin; food sources are mainly fish and fortified foods, with perhaps a little from eggs and mushrooms. Deficiency is fairly common, since many do not go out in the sun or eat foods with vitamin D.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

Yeah, when I first learned all about Vit-D and where you get it from I can completely understand the reason for my deficiency, as I'm not out in the sun a lot. I didn't have any symptoms indicating deficient in other minerals like Iron, calcium, folic acid, etc though. I'm sure it won't do me any harm but I'm just not sure if I really need it.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User

Bruce,

I think it best to find out where you are deficient and then address that. I'm not a big fan of multi's. My doc does regular vitamin screening so that I know exactly where I stand. For instance, on the last test I was very low on vit. C even though I take enormous amounts of it for a specific illness. Sometimes our bodies just aren't absorbing, as is the case with Vitamin D for many people.

But I think the best line of defense, and optimum health, is what we eat. Rather than spending $ on the multi you could put that into healthier food choices, which should include lots of vegetables. You may be healthy now but years and years of not eating well cannot help but eventually take a toll. Personally, I think this is what many, if not most, diseases stem from.

All the best,

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 12-31-2010 at 04:16 AM.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I 2nd that. I've tried multi's on and off, different ones for yrs, and always had problems with them. Eating healthy, getting 15 minutes of sun, and staying active will keep you a lot healthier. You get a lot more nutrients from food and better absorbed as well. I know foods aren't what they were 50 yrs ago, but they are fortified, and still better than synthetic vitamins. I've never noticed any difference when I take vitamins except I feel worse.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

If you buy the bottles of 500 multivitamin pills at Costco, they cost about 3 cents a day - 3 cents out of your total food budget for the day is 3/5 of 5/8 of sod all, its an incredibly cheap insurance policy, giving you virtualy all the vitamins and trace elements the body requires. I cant see why anybody would NOT take one.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
If you buy the bottles of 500 multivitamin pills at Costco, they cost about 3 cents a day - 3 cents out of your total food budget for the day is 3/5 of 5/8 of sod all, its an incredibly cheap insurance policy, giving you virtualy all the vitamins and trace elements the body requires. I cant see why anybody would NOT take one.
Unless we are abusing our body, it is built to function optimally. Why interfere with that process by popping vitamins unnecessarily, giving it the message that we think it's too weak to function on its own? I'm certainly not against supplementation, if needed. But the best "insurance policy" is attention to the food we eat and the exercise we give the body. Then if something starts to malfunction, we can wisely attend to that particular malady with whatever vitamin or herb, or whatever will best address it. Just my take.

Best,

Jen

Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 AM   #8
(male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User

Good morning,
My name is Rick and I am a 50 yr old gentleman and , have been taking vitamin supplements for about 25 years. I feel it has made a big difference in alot of aspects of my life. I have been told by countless people that I don't look a day over 35. I have a full head of healthy hair w/no grays creeping in yet. My joints all function normally and the only thing that ails me is, a Lil bit of arthritis in my lower back from an injury when I was 24. That is easily remedied w/Aleve (two a day.) I take supplements for my bones, muscles, joints and most importantly my prostate. I am very heavy into vegatables because of the many anti-toxins in them. I also feel some exercise is also important with your intake of vitamins. Good luck to you in your quest.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I have to agree with Jen,Food unlike vitamin pills, have so many Additional nutrients, Not found in pills. You just can't duplicate that.
An example, yogurt, good for calcium/vit d, but it also has active cultures, good bacteria, to help your digestive system.
Example, fruit, vitamin c, but it's a natural vit c,with all the .Additional, phytonutrients in the fruit.
I just feel better when I eat healthy. Vitamins in pill form have caused me problems unlike food . I"d rather eat a bowl of Total cereal in the morning, than pop a pill, or several pills.
I"d rather have a egg, and toast, than a pill. I"d rather have a bowl of mixed veggies, with omega 3 spead on top. I'd rather snack on a banana, eat a granola bar, or dried fruit, than take a pill
I'd rather make a veggie smoothie, with spinach, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, yogurt or apple juice. It's actually really good, or make a fruit smoothie, with bananas, apples, blueberries, throw in some yogurt or milk. Eating good foods are far more better for you, foods are also fortified. There are hundreds of nutrients in food, not found in a pill.

Last edited by cvoor; 01-02-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

I've been on the unhealthy types of food for quite a while - in fact, my cholesterol counts were quite high but the typical med for that has reduced it to an acceptable level. I guess the vitamin/nutrient levels are kind of a long term thing where you don't see results until a long period of time as Rick did. But there are just so many things out there to choose. These multi-vitamins don't have any of that heart-helping stuff like Omega 3 and fish oil so I dont know if I should just supplement that area instead of the "everything but the kitchen sink" pill.

My Dr told me that the 700IU of vitamin D in the multi would never be enough for me since I'm low. So after I'm done with the Rx vitamin D I might need to think about the vitamin D OTC supplement that has something like 2,000IU.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User

Bruce,

RE: Vit D, just make sure you take D3 and not D2, the synthetic variety.

As for heart health, there actually are some supplements that I would recommend (if this is of interest to you) instead of cholesterol lowering drugs, which I'm sure you know come with a host of side-effects. Flush Niacin, Red Yeast Rice and Krill oil all help to balance cholesterol - HDL/LDL/Trigs, especially if one's cholesterol is genetically high. You might also want to visit the High Cholesterol board here. L' Carnitine is also for heart health.

But here again, and especially when talking about the heart, diet and exercise are so vitally important. We can't just put supplements in our body and expect them to turn things around if we are not also supporting the process with proper food and exercise. Supplements should be used as adjuncts, when needed, to a healthy (or trying to move toward a more healthy) lifestyle.

Jen

Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I wasnt suggesting a daily multi INSTEAD of a healthy diet and lifestyle, but as a supplement to them (I think this is why they are called supplements, but i could be wrong)

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
I wasnt suggesting a daily multi INSTEAD of a healthy diet and lifestyle, but as a supplement to them (I think this is why they are called supplements, but i could be wrong)
You are right on the money Jonnstar. A good multivitamin/multimineral is very much worth it. But, you just don't want to take the ones you buy at the grocery store. These are synthetic vitamins. (produced by the chemical/pharmaceutical industry) Uhhh, no thanks. These people profit from you being unhealthy. You need to order some organic whole food vitamins and minerals. These are derived from unprocessed organic foods. These are what you need to supplement your diet. They will make a huge difference.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User

Is there such a thing as a "organic" multi-vitamin?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #15
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Yes there are many. Search Whole food vitamins on the net.

Closed Thread