It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

calcium HB User
Calcium without D

Hi everyone,

I am currently taking a multi-vitamin with 100% of daily recommended levels of D, but only a small percent of daily recommended levels of calcium. I would like to take a calcium supplement to raise my levels to atleast 50% or 75%. However, all the calcium I find has vitamin D in it. Since vitamin D is fat-soluble, I do not want to take more than 100% a day. Does anyone know of a brand of calcium supplement that does not include vitamin D?

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User
Re: Calcium without D

Ezorb doesn't have D in it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Most calcium products have Vitamin D because these 2 need to be present together. The vitamin D is a calcium regulator. It takes the calcium and puts it to work in the body. I don't know of any calcium products without vitamin D. But, if you want to raise your calcium levels quickly, you should try Barefoot Coral Calcium. It's from the coral reefs in Okinawa, Japan. With standard calcium, your body absorbs only about 3% of the calcium and passes the rest. With the coral calcium, it can absorb 50% or more. But, I don't think I would want too much calcium without the vitamin D3 to put it to work. You could possibly calcify parts of your body over time. Calcium is truly one of the most effective and potent nutrients on the planet, but nutrition is best when it is balanced properly. Calcium and vitamin D have done wonders in my life. No flu's, no more allergies, energy out the ying yang, and I've lost over 50 lbs over 4 years without any dieting what so ever. And remember, the RDA of vitamin D is a ridiculously low amount. If we all stay at 400IU, you won't have to worry about the economy any more. There won't be any people left to worry about. 2000IU of vitamin D3 is still kind of low. 5000IU is a more realistic daily amount to achieve optimum health for the average person. And it will not make you gain weight. It will help to lose weight. Nutritional starvation is always a negative for weight loss, if that is why you are concerned about the fat solubility.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User

Ezorb does not contain vitamin D. It is Calcium Aspartate Anhydrous. Unlike other products, it does not need participation of Vitamin D for better absorption.

Be careful with coral reef calcium, which is a calcium carbonate product and inorganic compound (Ezorb is an organic compound). Calcium carbonate is not well absorbed. Even calcium citrate would likely be a better choice IMHO.

Your own research should help you clarify this issue.

Jen

Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

That's right jen. Vitamin D is often confused with bioavailability of Calcium. That in fact isn't quite correct. Your body can absorb calcium just fine without D, however, it is what is done with the calcium that D may play an important role. Calcium aspartate and calcium citrate are both great for absorption.

I think you missed the fat solubility issue Lyneteck. What she means is that vitamin D is fat soluble and will therefore be stored in your body if not used right away. In theory then, you can overdose because your body does not get rid of excess that it absorbs; it is STORED in the fatty tissue in the liver.

I don't think 5000 IU/day of Vitamin D is necessarily wise. Vitamin D is not technically meant to be obtained orally; it is a byproduct for humans of UV light converting cholesterol to Vitamin D in the body. That is how it is meant to be obtained and oral Vitamin D doesn't absorb very well.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Taking a multi with 400iu of d, plus a calcium supplement with 400iu of d wont cause any problems - however, any pharmacy should have generic calcium carbonate tablets without vitamin d if you are concerend

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Good info bdrunner79. Thank you.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

I read my post again and I think it had the wrong tone. The problem with internet posting is that sometimes you don't type in the correct tone that you would be speaking. I would like to say that I wasn't posting against supplementing at all. I personally take a Vitamin D supplement spanning the months of November-March because I know I won't get a lot of sunlight. I was just cautioning about how much to take. Now I looked up some bioavailability data and I feel that even relatively large doses such as 5,000 IU/day would probably be okay because it's not like you are absorbing all of it. When I supplement I usually get 2500 IU/day. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:28 AM   #9
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Bdrunner78, just out of curiosity, what types of supplements do you take and which ones do you feel have had the most impact on your health? I take an organic whole food multivitamin and multimineral along with my coral calcium and Vitamin D3. And I take these year around. Sometimes it can be very difficult to notice the benefits of nutritional impact on our systems. Especially in the short term. But, there were times when I would run out of my supplements for a week or two due to financial struggles, as I'm sure many others can identify with. But, I could really see the most difference when I ran out of my calcium/vitamin D combination. My energy levels and overall bodily performance were, as best as I can describe it, just simply down a few notches. Anyway, I was just wondering about your experience with supplements in general and what you have personally seen occur. I don't want to stray too far from the original post here, but we are all here to share information and hopefully learn something from the experiences of others. That's what it's all about in the end. Oh, and about the tone issue, no problem. I've been there done that before. Typing can be tough. I don't know how our kids survive these days. Most of their conversations are now done with texting where every text can have 9 different emotional meanings. lol.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

I've gone down many different roads with supplements myself, and some I noticed differences and other times I didn't notice anything at all. I would agree 100% with you on the whole foods/organic supplements. Personally speaking, and this is just what I do, and I'm not trying to persuade anyone from taking the same things as I do. I'm also a type 1 diabetic, so I have to be really careful about how much food I take and how many supplements I take. I think if you take too many non-organic supplements, such as a lot of different types of multi-vitamins in a day. you're going to get kidney problems. Too many overloads of water soluble vitamins can add a lot of tax to the kidneys, and I've known people who supplemented too much and had a problem real quick. The good news is that if you do have problems from oversupplementing, the kidney can heal quickly when it is reduced. I don't think you can do this on organic supplements, however.

I start the day and eat a medium-sized bowl of whole grain Total. With that I take a fish oil capsule and 4 barley tablets with cayenne pepper added. I finish this with about 12 oz. of water. That usually is good enough for breakfast. Then I snack periodically throughout the day on small amounts of fruits and vegetables. However, this is just because I'm diabetic and have better control of my glucose if I don't necessarily eat 3 meals/day. Snacking here and there doesn't lead to large spikes in glucose levels, but rather small raises to keep from going low. During that time I take a few 150 mg capsules of R-alpha lipoic acid. I take these on an empty stomach as this compound absorbs best on an empty stomach. Typically you absorb 30% on an empty stomach and 20% with food. I average 4 of these throughout a full day. Again, this is because of diabetes.

At dinner I eat a balanced meal, and also eat a product called SuperFood Plus mixed in with applesauce or something else that you can mix it in with. This is a whole/organic supplement with a lot of nutrients. Here also, I take another fish oil capsule and a Vitamin D capsule, which is 1250 IU. During the winter I might take 2 of these, one at breakfast and one at dinner, but usually one/day. I also take 4 more barley tablets with cayenne pepper added to them, and drink milk and/or water. I also add pure cayenne pepper to foods at meals if it makes sense, whenever I can.

That's about all I do. I try to exercise, but I find at 31 I am a lot lazier than I was 10 years ago! But I think an area of improvement for me would be to exercise more!

I'm sure I don't get everything and I know I don't eat enough fruits, but they spike my sugar way too much and I find the lack of vitamins derived from fruit is better than spiking my glucose level. Hopefully I can get everything from the other foods I eat.

Other non-diabetic diets may be way different from what I do. I have considered ioidine supplementation in the past simply because I can't really find any significant source of iodine in my diet. But again, I don't want to oversupplement, so if I do go that route, I may cut out something else. Too much iodine can be tough on the kidneys.

I'm proud to say that I don't text and don't have a Facebook account. If I want to talk to someone, I go over and talk to them.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Sounds like a great system you have. I'm 44 yrs. old. I like to eat organic when I can. But on my budget and lifestyle, it's hard to do 3 squares of pure organic. That's why I have to supplement. I am really interested in one of those high speed juicers. Where you mix fruits and vegetables to make smoothies. They look like a good idea. But, unfortunately on all of the reviews that I read, they seem to break down very frequently. And they seem to be rather expensive. I hate to invest several hundred dollars in something that will more than likely be junk.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:16 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User

I have the Omega stainless steel juicer and it is definitely not junk. It is also one of the highest rated juicers. I would just be careful combining too many fruits with vegetables as they require different digestive processes. The only fruit I add to my vegetable mix is some apple and a little lemon.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #13
(male)

Lyneteck HB User

Thank you so much Jenj770, I will definitely check that one out. And as far as mixing too many fruits and vegetables together, that's something I'm glad you brought up too. I probably would have overdone it when I first got the machine. You're absolutely right, some things can be tough to digest and cause you some grief. I know this to be true especially when my wife and I started taking whole vitamin supplements. The standard dosage was too much for my wife's digestive tract. It caused her some initial digestive problems at first. We had to cut her dosage in half. And she also has a problem with digestion of a few types of vegetables as well. (No gall bladder) So, I will definitely keep this in mind when I get this thing. Thanks for your post.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User

Hi Lynetek,

The juicer I mentioned is the J8005. It is a masticating juicer as opposed to a centrifugal. Masticating juicers operate at a lower RPM ( not sure if this is the correct term), which generates more juice with a higher nutritional content. It costs about $249. It is also very quiet, definitely a plus for me, and takes just minutes to clean.

Cheers!

Jen

Old 01-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

I have a juicer too. I love it. If you are worried about cost, it'll be worth it. Even saving up for it would be well worth your effort.

I wanted to actually add something meaningful to this post, haha, so I looked up some juicing facts. Carrots for instance, most of the beta-carotene when you eat them raw is not bioavailable because it is bound by plant protein. However, when juiced, the plant protein is chopped up and the beta-carotene is liberated and your body can absorb it. As long as your "juice mixture" doesn't contain too much sugar, I'd say it's a really good way to go.

Closed Thread