It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User
Are certain types of Magnesium useless to take?

Hey everyone. I read on a website a few weeks ago that a lot of people in the United States are deficient in Magnesium. I read that it can help with numerous things. Well, I am wanting to start taking a Magnesium supplement but I need some advice first. Here's the thing, the site I read said that certain kinds of magnesium are useless for the body because the body cannot digest all kinds of magnesium supplements. Is that true? If so, what kinds can the body digest?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Are certain types of Magnesium useless to take?

Magnesium oxide is effectively useless by the body. Any chelated magnesium is good, such as orotate, glycinate, taurate, and citrate. Citrate, for your money, is probably the most practical. For every 500 mg of magnesium citrate, there are approximately 75 mg of magnesium ions. It is absorbed with or without food, but empty stomach seems to work best for citrate salts. Inorganic forms, such as magnesium oxide, and carbonate, aren't readily absorbed. If you buy a powder, such as magnesium chloride/citric acid powder, absorbs pretty well. I would stay away from magnesium aspartate because the compound is also aspartic acid, which probably isn't all that good for you. The oil that was mentioned above is in fact very good, as that is usually magnesium chloride which can absorb through the skin if you rub it on. Magnesium malate is also available, and absorbs very well.

When you buy magnesium, it will tell you how much of the salt is present in each capsule, which does not translate directly to how much actual magnesium. A good rule of thumb is that for every 500 mg salt, you will obtain anywhere from 30-75 mg of actual magnesium.

Yes you are right, magnsium deficiency is pretty common as there isn't much of it in the diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #3
(female)

recordsclerk HB User
Re: Are certain types of Magnesium useless to take?

I also use the Magnesium oil from Health & Wisdom. I spray it on my low back and my backaches are gone. I used it on my feet but it made them peel.

Closed Thread