It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

khrm HB User
Not absorbing vitamin D?

In November, I had blood drawn for a hormone issue and I was found to have slightly low vitamin D (19 out of a 20-100 range). I began taking supplements, once a week for 12 weeks that were prescribed by doctor. I finished taking them a couple weeks ago and just went to my doctor Thursday for muscle/joint aches and pains.

My vitamin D is now lower then it was before (16 on a 30-100 scale). What would cause this to drop lower, despite taking supplements?

Could this be related to my hormonal issues? (adreenal hyperplasia or addenoma, not sure which right now).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Not absorbing vitamin D?

The problem with Vitamin D orally overall, is that it does not do well. Most of it doesn't absorb even if you eat a fatty meal with it. Even worse, prescription Vitamin D, which is D2, doesn't absorb as well as D3. And once/week won't work well either. If your body absorbs 15% of oral Vitamin D, you'd be far better off taking smaller amounts every day of the week for a long time, vs. once/week. You will accumulate a lot more in the body that way. Don't neglect to take advantage of sunlight either, if it's convenient.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

If you live in the northern hemisphere, it would not be surprising that your vitamin D levels went down from November to February, as this is the season when you are likely to get the least sunlight on your skin.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
(male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

Are you taking any stomach protector (like omeoprazole) . This can inhibit absorption.
Also, you need an adequate calcium level to be absorbed.

Jesus

Old 02-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Actually, calcium has nothing to do with vitamin D absorption. Vitamin D is lipid soluble, so you have to some fat ingested with it to transport across the cell membranes. Calcium has more to do with vitamin D utilization, not absorption.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Did you take the vitamin d with some fat? it is a fat soluable vitamin, and cant be adsorbed without some fat being present at the same time.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
(female)

khrm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
Did you take the vitamin d with some fat? it is a fat soluable vitamin, and cant be adsorbed without some fat being present at the same time.
No, I just took it with water. What do you suggest I take it with?

Everyone else, thanks for the replies. I am pretty sure it was related to the fact that it is winter here now and I have been sick for about 6 weeks so I haven't been outside as much. I've been trying to get out in the sun as much as possible.

I have heard that coffee is particularly bad for vitamin d, is there any truth to this? I drink insane amounts of coffee but I will stop if it is contributing to the deficiency.

Are there any other foods I should avoid? Or any foods that are high in vitamin D?

Thank you.

Closed Thread