HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Vitamins & Supplements (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Posture D-Calcium Supplement (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/vitamins-supplements/838235-posture-d-calcium-supplement.html)

musiclvr56 03-02-2011 03:25 PM

Posture D-Calcium Supplement

I have the product Posture-D Calcium supplement with vitamin D (125IU) and magnesium (50 mg).

I recently was told to chew the tablet to get the most absorption. I have many bottles of this vitamin (it was free after awards program) and I embarrassed to tell you that this is the first time I looked at the label. I wanted to see what type of calcium it had and it says Tricalcium Phosphate. (600 mg)

I would appreciate any advice on this product. I googled it but couldn't find any good information.

Thanks,
Karen

jennybyc 03-02-2011 03:59 PM

Re: Posture D-Calcium Supplement

Hi Canton, MA from Canton, CT.

I don't know about that product but what I do know is that calcium can't work properly without sufficient Vit.D in the body. 125 IU's is very low. I've been taking 1000 IU's a day and am still low in D.

Get a D level and supplement if needed so the calcium works for you.

Jenny

bdrunner79 03-04-2011 04:09 PM

Hi there,

The above poster is correct. However, remember that Vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium all play a role together. Most diets are sufficient in calcium, in fact, overly sufficient. The reason osteoporosis symptoms are probably seen is that there is not enough magnesium and Vitamin D present to use the calcium. So people are often misdiagnosed as calcium deficient, when it is in fact the others. If I were a betting man I'd say that if more people supplemented with magnesium and Vitamin D, symptoms would improve and no calcium supplement would be needed.

Looking at your supplement, tricalcium phosphate is not very bioavailable. Inorganic forms are not typically solvated in the stomach and intestines very well, so it simply passes out the other end. Some will absorb however. Calcium citrate penny for penny, would be better absorbed and cost effective. Also, minerals such as this as well as Vitamin D absorb much better with food. In fact, Vitamin D won't absorb at all witout some fat present, so taking with a meal works best. It enters the cell via active transport with a lipid.

Hope this helps, I wish you the best.

bdrunner79 03-05-2011 09:18 AM

jenj770,

You had success with a particular liquid form of Vitamin D didn't you? I also tried a liquid form of magnesium and have had pretty good success with that verses the capsule form. If you add hot water to NaturalCalm, the magnesium carbonate reacts wit the citric acid and forms magesium citrate which then absorbs into your system. You don't want to drink too much though!!

At any rate, the reason I ask is that I stopped taking a Vitamin D supplement and have honestly not felt the greatest and I'm getting dark circles under my eyes again, which I had gotten rid of.