It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

flowergirl8 HB User
B12 deficiency...

Hi,

I had a b12 deficiency a couple of years back and was on b12 tablets until it got back in the normal range. Was informed by the doctor this week that my b12 is 142, which as far as I can see is quite severe as the cut off is supposed to be 200. However my doctor doesn't seem worried about it, despite her knowledge of my symptoms of seizures, neuropathy, headaches and extreme tiredness. She said my level was ok but she'd put me on b12 tablets anyway. Why isn't she taking this seriously and looking into the cause of it? I'm worried as i've had symptoms for months and thought it may be my b12 again as I had the same symptoms a few years ago before it was diagnosed. I've started tablets now but how long until my symptoms go away? and should my doctor be investigating this further?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
(female)

sophiedeba HB User
Unhappy Re: B12 deficiency...

Hey Flowergirl!

Although I don't have answers for you, I can 100% identify with your problem!

I had severe memory loss, skin symptoms, depression, irratibility and low B12, I took 1000mg of B12 for 4 months, tested again and my tests said 147. Australia says that anything above 140 is okay so my doctor advised not to bother with B12 injections.
My mother is a nurse, she disagreed and has given me injections since then for 6-8 months (this is when my symptoms cleared).
I went back to the doctor to check my B12 levels at the end of the month and they were 245. My doctor told me I was not B12 defficient because I didn't have anemia and now I am fine and to stop with the injections, referred me to a psychiatrist and sent me on my way.

It would be great if someone who was actually knowledgable about B12 was available to lend some advice. What next!?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User
Re: B12 deficiency...

i would get another doctor. Symptoms start appearing below 400. All you need is a b12 injection to boost it..no big deal at all. i would ask the doctor for b12 injections maybe once a week for three months..or once every other week for three months then recheck your levels. o reason to ignore it when its that low it is such an easy fix. and you will feel a difference. if you have integrated doctors there i would go to one immediately. An integrated doctor is an m.d and specializes in alternative medicine. I normally would never state this but your doctor is wrong and clearly misguided. Why would you have to wait until your body breaks down or attains neurological damage, thats ridiculous. Good luck.

Last edited by itburns2004; 04-11-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: more info.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
(female)

friendlily HB User
Re: B12 deficiency...

I hate to say that its nice that I dont feel alone in all of this..I have had similar issues with B12 deficiency (fatigue/muscle weakness/concentration issues/memory loss/tingling numbness in face legs and hands, etc.) and instead of my doc giving me shots shes just having me take suppliments and sending me to a neurologist thinking its MS! which scares the living crap out of me of course! So ive been posting on here hoping to find hope that other people have had these symptoms and it wasnt MS and its comforting to read these posts knowing that theres a chance it could not be.
My heart goes out to you and i know that some Dr.s in Japan say that B12 levels over 1000 are best so dont listen to your dr. if you dont feel right..if i were you id up the dose and see how well it works...most people on here have said it can take up to a year to feel back to normal but at least that proves that they do eventually feel normal again
Good Luck and God Bless

Closed Thread