It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
(female)

Solange1965 HB User
Need help finding correct magnesium.

Hi!
Due to IBS and being Lactose Intolerant, my menu of healthy foods is quite limited. Vegetables, an excellent natural source of magnesium, cause me digestive problems.

But I need magnesium and recently purchasing a Magnesium supplement, I notice it had a strong, unpleasant odor. I know that a combo of Calcium and Magnesium is preferable but cannot take calcium supplements. I drink the milk that is lactose free for my source of daily calcium.

Do magnesium supplements, as a rule, have a strong odor to them? I notice that B vitamins have a strong, nauseating aroma as well due to Niacin.
Hoping to get a solution to this magnesium issue with the supplement.
Thanks...

Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
(female)

Solange1965 HB User
Re: Need help finding correct magnesium..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
Magnesium shouldn't have a strong odor. It's actually best not to take mag and calcium in one supplement. If you are having digestive problems I would suggest Magnesium glycinate chelated as it is very gentle on the tummy/colon. I take 400 mg./day plus I use transdermal magnesium oil. This is the best way to get magnesium as it is most absorbable through the skin, but the mag glycinate chelate should be fine in itself, I just happen to need more mag.

A B complex will have an odor but I don't think it's from the Niacin. I take Flush Niacin separately from the B complex and it has absolutely no odor. Where are you purchasing your vitamins? As it is with anything, there are different quality of vitamins and definitely some brands better than others. For a start, I would avoid anything with a lot of fillers.
Hi and thanks for your excellent feedback.
I use Solgar brand which I purchase at the local health food store. It was the lady in the store, the owner, who said Niacin is the one B vitamin that has a strong smell. I take all my vitamins in capsule form rather then hard pills or tablets as I want to be sure they are dissolved and absorbed. As my digestion and absorbtion is questionable anyway, I want to give the supplements every chance to work. I am going back and try the Mag glycinate chelated form, it sounds ideal for me, especially if there is no aroma.
Again, thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
(female)

Auriamma HB User

I just bought my husband GNC's 500mg Magnesium capsules for his ear sensitivity. It doesn't have any obnoxious odor.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I Agree with jenj-- that the best absorable minerals on the market are chelated. The truely chelated minerals are double bond to a protein amino acid (glycine or lysine) that is smaller so it is easier passed the intestines walls. Jenj posts are very good and reliable--- She has done the necessary research!!

The Internation patent is held by Albion Labs in Utah. Their name is usually on the mineral container. So, look for it.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-20-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Tyops

Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
(female)

wildtexspirit HB User

Hi I just wanted to say thanks to Harry and the others that sugested the chealated (sp) mag. It is better on my very sensitive tummy. I was using a diuretic to help with the racey heart and my menopause. But had some problems last night when I ate a banana. I loved taking the magnesium before but was taking the kind over the counter natural something. They helped but cause tummy upset a lot. So stopped taking them and big mistake stopping taking them so fast. My tummy threw out acid and my heart would race a lot. But then started that Flower essence Dandelion stuff and then omg last night was so scary. I made it to now.I got my package today and started taking the new magnesium. Big pills too. They are the Dr Best brand that I saw many good reviews on. So I have taken 2 but I did it in a way that I took halfs every 2hour. 1 at 4 pm and another half at 6 . and so on. Well I still have the hot face feeling . Not sure about this yet. I can't get my levels check to find out how i am doing in minerals. I do have a results on my blood work right here but they are at least 2 weeks old.

I don't take calcium because I am also lactose intolerant. I do use the Lactaid milk. I am just trying to get my life back to normal and menopause isn't being nice. Am I doing this right?
While I was using the Dandelion stuff I felt great after i would use the bathroom. I only used maybe a total of 6 drops a day. 4 in water to drink threw the day and then when i laid down at night I would take a drop or two on my tongue. I guess I shouldn't have tried something like that . But am desperate. Well last night or this morning I had my heart race so hard I couldn't breath and also my tummy tightened up to where I couldn't even try and take a breath in. but I had just had a whole banana. No I hadn't slept yet either. My hours are nights and well I was going to lay down about 6 am but the heart race started at 4 am.

I made myself puke or tried. But my fingers didn't seem to do anything to make me feel like puking. I drank a bunch of water and tried again. Then I manged to get something out or up I should say. ^.^ It was nothing but burning bile. OMG my throat and insides hurt for at least an hour. My heart kept trying to race still. My son made me a sandwich and I felt like I couldn't eat it. But I did. most anyways. I started feeling a lil better. But felt as though I was freezing to death. I couldn't stop shaking. My son thought I might have been in shock or something. But finally I started to relax and under blankets. I got better and fell to sleep. I woke up and felt about the same. nerves on end and tummy tight and heart wanting to race.
I got the package and opened it and smiled. hugged the box and then opened the bottle . I cut the large long pill in half and took 1 half and so on. Now I have taking in 2 whole pills and feel much calmer and better. But feel heat in face still and I am in need to tinkle constantly. Is this normal to need to take a tinkle so often after taking this magnesium? I don't remember if I did before with the other magnesium. These are 100% magnesium high absorption not buffered says 200mg 50% serving size 2 tablets.
Please let me know if this is right and if I do need to take Calcium in another way for the right way. Last lab works on 9/2302012 says Potassium level 3.8 (but I have been eating bananas since then) Magnesium 2.2 ,and co2 level 24, sodium level 141 ,Calcium level 8.8

anyways , I am in need of help and would love anything you might have insight on. Just am so scared to take anything else in fear my heart will race again. It was well over 100 a min. this morning. Son wouldnt call emt cause well I am a panic attacker as well. lol
Thanks again for any help. God bless.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
(female)

wildtexspirit HB User
Exclamation Re: Need help finding correct magnesium.

@Harry ... Can I use Flintstones Immunity vitamin right after I took a magnesium Chelated ? I am sweating from my palms now and think I might need more nutrients in my body. I am lacking the foods I need in the house and was wondering if I can use that to help me and if it will be bad with the magnesium? I need to know asap please.

Closed Thread