It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

Ave HB User
Unhappy Back pain from Vitamin D

I was experiencing fatigue, feeling down and my hair had a lot of breakage.

I thought it may be my thyroid. Before my doctor did a blood test she told my to take 5,000 iu of Vitamin D a day. She then proceeded to do a blood test and found my thyroid was fine but my Vitamin D levels were low. She prescribed 50,000 units of Vitamin D, once a week for 12 weeks. My lower back started to hurt so bad I couldn’t move. I notice the pain began after I started the 5000, but got a whole lot WORSE once I took the 50,000. Some days I couldn't move. I called the nurse after 2 and 1/2 weeks and she told me to stop taking the 50,000 and when my back gets better just to take 1,000 iu of Vitamin D a day. It has been almost 8 weeks since I STOPPED the regimen and my back still hurts. I read an article about taking magnesium with the Vitamin D, however, I am not even taking the vitamin D anymore and my back hurts.

***FYI- The only time I had lower back pain in the past was if I had been standing for more than 45 min? Now after I took the vitamin D it has been everyday for about 8 weeks no matter what activity I do. I know I had back pain before if i stood for long periods of time but now after the vitamins I have it all day long.

Any suggestions of what’s going on ? I saw a similar thread posted about vitamin D, but the question I have is why does my back continue to hurt after i stopped the vitamin D 8 weeks ago and when will it go back to normal?

Could i really be depleted in vitamin D or did the Vitamin D damage my back?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Back pain from Vitamin D

The reason I don't like multivitamins or supplements of anything is because it is just too much at once. 50,000 IU of Vitamin D will be very hard on kidneys! In fact, most multivitamins that you pass through the urine are very hard on the kidneys. This problem is seen sometimes and individuals experience lower back pain.

I do not know if that is what caused your backpain or not, could just be coincidental.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 AM   #3
(male)

Marcos HB User

If you are facing any severe side-effects due to the consumption of vitamins or nutritional supplements then the best ways to avoid it is to consult your physician regarding your query and opt for branded supplements available online to help you avoid the side-effects in the future.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave View Post
I was experiencing fatigue, feeling down and my hair had a lot of breakage.

I thought it may be my thyroid. Before my doctor did a blood test she told my to take 5,000 iu of Vitamin D a day. She then proceeded to do a blood test and found my thyroid was fine but my Vitamin D levels were low. She prescribed 50,000 units of Vitamin D, once a week for 12 weeks. My lower back started to hurt so bad I couldn’t move. I notice the pain began after I started the 5000, but got a whole lot WORSE once I took the 50,000. Some days I couldn't move. I called the nurse after 2 and 1/2 weeks and she told me to stop taking the 50,000 and when my back gets better just to take 1,000 iu of Vitamin D a day. It has been almost 8 weeks since I STOPPED the regimen and my back still hurts. I read an article about taking magnesium with the Vitamin D, however, I am not even taking the vitamin D anymore and my back hurts.

***FYI- The only time I had lower back pain in the past was if I had been standing for more than 45 min? Now after I took the vitamin D it has been everyday for about 8 weeks no matter what activity I do. I know I had back pain before if i stood for long periods of time but now after the vitamins I have it all day long.

Any suggestions of what’s going on ? I saw a similar thread posted about vitamin D, but the question I have is why does my back continue to hurt after i stopped the vitamin D 8 weeks ago and when will it go back to normal?

Could i really be depleted in vitamin D or did the Vitamin D damage my back?

Im an Aphasia (stroke). Im speech and sentence for grammmar.

I was GP for blood exam for an low D. She for 50,000 for one day/week for 8 weeks.

I chronic shoulder for 5-6 years. I two weeks for low pain (6#) for right shoulder, three weeks for moderate pain (7#), the fours weeks for high pain (8-10#) right/left shoulders and lowers back (right). I stopped for vitiamin D for an GP. GP for an x-ray from an Trauma shoulder for orthopediologist. GP without D for not shoulder and back.

The two weeks for an pill or vitamin D or 2 days for high pain. I continued for STOPPED for vitamin D. I was high pain for muscle. I for a ringing ear!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
(female)

3TxCats HB User

I've been reading a lot about vitamin d deficiency lately (my level was 15.2); most of the 'symptoms' of vitamin d therapy usually indicate a magnesium deficiency. In general, muscle cramps/spasms are indicative of a deficiency in magnesium (needed to absorb vitamin d), calcium (cannot absorb without vitamin d) and postassium.
Here's some information that I found to be the most helpful: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-cofactors/magnesium/

I've also read in numerous places that the symptoms of vitamin d deficiency generally don't go away until your levels are back within normal ranges - at least 32 - but some people don't feel great until they're above 50. Good luck!

Last edited by 3TxCats; 08-31-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: left out a word

Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I can't say whether your vitamin D supplementation caused your back pain. I'm on 5000 IU a day, my D is low and I have Hashimoto's hypothyroid. According to my doctor, low D goes hand-in-hand with hypothyroid conditions. She wants me to get above 70 on my bloodwork. For a while I was supplementing at 10,000 IU a day. I never had any side effects that I noticed but now that I think about it for the past few months I have been getting painful muscle cramps in my thighs and calves. I had determined I must have some sort of a electrolyte imbalance and when potassium didn't help (through diet) I began supplementing with calcium/magnesium and the cramps are gone. I have no idea if that's something that would help you though. You should definitely discuss the issue with your doctor.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
(female)

3TxCats HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I can't say whether your vitamin D supplementation caused your back pain. I'm on 5000 IU a day, my D is low and I have Hashimoto's hypothyroid. According to my doctor, low D goes hand-in-hand with hypothyroid conditions. She wants me to get above 70 on my bloodwork. For a while I was supplementing at 10,000 IU a day. I never had any side effects that I noticed but now that I think about it for the past few months I have been getting painful muscle cramps in my thighs and calves. I had determined I must have some sort of a electrolyte imbalance and when potassium didn't help (through diet) I began supplementing with calcium/magnesium and the cramps are gone. I have no idea if that's something that would help you though. You should definitely discuss the issue with your doctor.
I'm waiting to find out if I'm considered hypothyroid... yet... have endo appointment in 2.5 weeks. I'm a 4th year PhD student that does research for a living and from what I've found, in case you didn't know, you have an awesome doctor. There were two papers published in the medical journals (May and August of this year) that conclude vitamin d deficiency is definitely associated with hypothyroidism - possibly due to an inherited version of the site-of-action (cellular receptor) for both. And while the 'optimal' vitamin d levels for euthyroid persons is 50-80 ng/dL, they recommend a minimum of 60 ng/dL for persons with thyroid disease. If only treating my vitamin d seemed more effective, my hypo- symptoms are still ever-present (esp. fatigue) and just waiting to find out if the endo will give me the little pills or not is making me crazy!

Closed Thread

Tags
back pain, bone pain, vitamin d