It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

bml89 HB User
Question B12

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I see my doctor next month and I planned on asking her this but I thought I would see if anyone here knew. I found out in May that I was Vitamin B12 deficient. I have been getting injections once a week, then one every two weeks, and now monthly. I am getting rechecked in November to see if they are working or if I have pernicious anemia. What I was wondering is that my doctor said that if I just cant absorb it (pernicious anemia) that it is hereditary and I will need them my whole life. My mom said my grandma had this but I dont think she is still deficient. My question is can this have anything to do with me being anemic at birth? My mom said I was very anemic at birth and took all her iron while she was pregnant with me wihich made her anemic as well. She isnt now or since giving birth to me. I am 22yrs old and just now finding all this out and was wondering if since i was anemic at birth that maybe i have been dealing with this my whole life. Any suggestions? I still plan on talking with my doctor about this as well but would love some other input as to whether the two are related. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
(male)

MacDuff HB User
Re: B12

Common stomach problems, like gastritis, smoking, ulcer, HPylori infection, reflux, reflux Rx pills/"Tums"/calcium chews/etc, even a bad case of food poisoning or stomach flu can stop you from absorbing B12.

I don't think iron def anemia is associated with megaloblastic anemia (PA and B12 def from any other cause), although you can have both types at the same time.

Babies with congenital PA (you need to get the gene from both parents) are very, very sick. You'd know if you had it from infancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread