It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User
Potassium issues

I fainted. Apparently everything was normal except my blood potassium was very low (2.7). It was retested in several days and was normal (4.4); however, I do take OTC potassium supplements. Since they are so low on potassium (3% DV a pill) I have to take 10-12 pills a day. This gets expensive and annoying. The doctor would not prescribe potassium supplements, and says that I need to get it from food. But I am scared to death that this will happen again, and so I keep taking the OTC supplements.
I am wondering if anyone knows of potassium OTC supplements that have higher % DV; or else, how do I ensure that I get enought from food? I hate bananas, can't stand orange juice and milk and cannot eat nuts or hard raw fruits/vegs due to braces. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I also take magnesium supplements, but this is so much easier due to one pill containing 63% DV so I really need only one a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
(female)

muddygirl HB User
Re: Potassium issues

You might try using Morton's Lite Salt on your food in place of regular table salt. It contains potassium and sodium.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB UserTMJ82 HB User

muddygirl, thanks for your suggestion! I did not know there is salt supplemented with potassium. I will look into it.

jenj770, do you know if any of the salts you mentioned contain potassium?

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
(male)

Conn5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJ82 View Post
I fainted. Apparently everything was normal except my blood potassium was very low (2.7). It was retested in several days and was normal (4.4); however, I do take OTC potassium supplements. Since they are so low on potassium (3% DV a pill) I have to take 10-12 pills a day. This gets expensive and annoying. The doctor would not prescribe potassium supplements, and says that I need to get it from food. But I am scared to death that this will happen again, and so I keep taking the OTC supplements.
I am wondering if anyone knows of potassium OTC supplements that have higher % DV; or else, how do I ensure that I get enought from food? I hate bananas, can't stand orange juice and milk and cannot eat nuts or hard raw fruits/vegs due to braces. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I also take magnesium supplements, but this is so much easier due to one pill containing 63% DV so I really need only one a day.
Magnesium and Potassium Deficiency
The typical diet is full of sodium and calcium from salty snacks and dairy. Sodium competes with potassium in the body, so too much sodium leads to plummeting potassium levels. Same with calcium’s effect on magnesium. Ideally we need all of these in balance.

Magnesium deficiency is known to cause symptoms like migraines, caffeine sensitivity, heart disease, fibromyalgia, restless leg syndrome, insomnia, irritability and uneasiness, high blood pressure, diabetes, fatigue, and tense muscles.

Potassium deficiency can likewise have the following symptoms: muscle weakness, poor memory, insomnia, high blood pressure, heart palpitations and arrhythmia, and depression.

If deficiency is the cause, the first course of action is balancing the diet by supplementing with some magnesium and potassium.

Since potassium supplements cannot be bought in amounts over 100 milligrams per pill, people have resorted to more cost-effective alternatives. Here is one:

I found this online and take it myself..............

Super-Mag magnesium powder + Potassium Bicarbonate

Super Mag is a powdered magnesium and vitamin C supplement available at the Vitamin Shoppe. It is highly acidic, but mix in under half a teaspoon of Potassium Bicarbonate and this not only neutralizes the acid but introduces a proportional dose of potassium.

» Super Mag by Nutrina, 7 oz Powder

» Potassium Bicarbonate, 1lb

Instructions:

1) Boil a couple ounces of water and pour into cup

2) dissolve 2 teaspoons of Super Mag

3) slowly add up to a half-teaspoon of potassium bicarbonate a little at a time, and stop adding any further when it stops fizzing. That means the acid has been neutralized

4) fill the rest of the cup with cold water

Unless one drinks a lot of dairy, one can become depleted in calcium eventually as well. Calcium interferes least when taken during a different part of the day. For instance, calcium in the morning, potassium + magnesium in the night.

If one has medical conditions, kidney problems, or is taking any medication, check twice that potassium is not contra-indicated, meaning something that should be avoided to prevent cross-complications.

Do your research into proper magnesium and potassium dosages before attempting the above, just to be on the safe side.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
(female)

hizzy HB User

cooked tomatoes are an excellent source of potassium -- so spaghetti sauces, chili, tomato soup. just make sure you're watching your sodium if you are buying these processed from a can. much better to make them from scratch yourself with less salt added.

also -- baked sweet potatoes, baked white potatoes (especially the skin), dried peaches and apricots, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and cooked spinach. all of these are as good or better sources than OJ or bananas.

i had a slight potassium deficiency a while back and corrected it quickly by watching my intake of processed foods and eating more of all of the above.

Closed Thread