It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

pinkrobot HB User
Vitamins - cheap vs. expensive?

I've read that "cheap" vitamins and supplements (like the kind sold at Walmart, for instance) are mostly fillers and therefore not really effective. What confuses me is, the nutrition info on the label still lists the vitamin/supplement as having a certain daily value percentage. So if I pick up a $5 bottle of Vitamin C and the label says it has 100% of the DV of Vitamin C, what difference does it make if there are fillers in the tablets? Shouldn't I still be getting the 100% Vitamin C regardless?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
(male)

Lufia2 HB User
Re: Vitamins - cheap vs. expensive?

There are two things wrong with cheap vitamins. You are right they may use fillers and another issue is that they will not be absorbed by the time it reaches the end of the digestive track. The vitamin pretty much has to be absorbed within 30 minutes when it goes through your small intestine or else it'll go out as waste. Not very many vitamins will dissolve by that time and a lot will still be in the same pill form if you look through your feces. I believe that is why even though it is stated there is 500 mg Vitamin C on the label doesn't necessarily mean your body will be able to absorb 500 mg vitamins C. The vitamin industry is not under very stringent guidelines and because of that companies are usually only out to make the most profit possible. So they add fillers and obtain cheap raw materials to make their pills. Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread