It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
(male)

NiallFallon HB User
Copper Deficiency PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys so heres a lil backound info

Have been taking zinc supplements for the past 5-6 months for general wellbeing, gym benefits, and mainly skin benefits among other reasons. Now I initially took around 30-40mg of chelated gluconate, however during the past couple months i have been upping it severly to on average 200mg, sometimes more (upto 400-500mg) i now know this was a stupid thing to do. In the short term it worked miraculously, i had more energy, flawless skin, better gains, better sex, it was great! However now i believe i am experiencing a copper defeciency.
Whilst taking the zinc i took NO copper supp apart from 1-2mg in a multi and through my diet (mostly clean).
I noticed this around 2-3 weeks ago in which i suffered severe bone pain in the shin area of both my legs after doing cardio, particuarly running track. The pain would ease around an hour after finishing the cardio, however the pain has never fully subsided, and continues to mildy hurt when doing even simple things such as running up stairs. Another problem has been general fatigue and tiredness all the time (i get plently of sleep). I feel as though i am light headed throughout the day. The final problem i have been having is with my facial skin, it has lost all colour and vibrancy, it has gone from a healthy glow to a very dull greyish blotchy colour which makes me look like i havnt slept in weeks. Hair seems to be fine, and is growing just as quick as ever (haircut every 2 weeks).
Anyways i have been taking no more than 30mg of zinc for the past week, and today i bought some copper supps (amino acid chelated 2mg). I was wondering how many i should take each day and how long it will take to get my copper levels back to normal as i am sure this is the problem. My current multi only has 0.5mg of copper and 5mg of zinc. I also cuurently take fish oil caps (about 4-5 a day). No other supps. Here is my diet also, i stick to this 90% of the time:

Meal 1:

1 cup Oatmeal
1 apple
Multi
3 Fish Oil

Meal 2:

2 slice Ham
Some salad
1 Slice Wholewheat Bread (toasted)

Meal 3:
Can of tuna
2 Slice Wholewheat Bread
Mixed veggies

Meal 4:
Lean Turkey Breast 100g

Meal 5:
Chicken Breast/some fresh fish
Veggies
2-3 fish oil

also getting at least a gallon of water a day.
I am trying to cut and lose bf as you can prob tell by the diet.

Thank you SO much to anyone who can help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
(male)

NiallFallon HB User
Re: Copper Deficiency PLEASE HELP!

Hi, and thanks for the responce jen

Yes i realize it was stupid to OD on zinc.
So you would not suggest taking copper supps at all? I am under the impression that my copper levels are very low and so would it not be wise to take at least 2mg?
I am trying to eat more copper enriched foods also. I am considering a blood test as i imagine i have done my liver some harm also.

Couple of questions:

Would you reccommend taking no zinc at all (besides that in my multi)??
Also if i was to supplement copper should it be done at a seperate time from my multi?
Roughly how long will it take to correct this deficeicny?

Finally this may sound rediculous but i read a while back that ejaculation depletes zinc levels. Do you think it would be wise to increase ejaculation in order to lower zinc levels? If you do not wish to answer this i understand.

Thanks in advance

Closed Thread