It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
(male)

speedy2056 HB User
B12 level 509

Hello, I have a few questions I'd like to ask regarding B12 and symptoms of deficiency.

I had been suffering from numerous psychological and physical symptoms for a very long time such as anxiety, obsessive thoughts, muscle twitches, short term memory loss, irritability, fatigue that was not remedied by sleep and more. I barely ate meat so I think I was unknowingly following a borderline vegetarian diet. My diet used to mainly consist of foods other than lean meat but ever since June I have followed a mainly meat diet and have felt better. I used to sleep a lot and often fell asleep in the early evening but I am no longer doing this.

I had began to take a highly potent B-complex just over a month ago and I felt much better within days. I was more energetic, my anxiety went down and my thought patterns were "flowing more freely." I also got my enthusiasm back for doing things. I take a sublingual B12 but this has no effect on me which is not surprising since it has been stated that B12 should be taken with the other B vitamins or at least with folic acid. Anyway, I had my B12 levels checked via a blood test and it came back as 509. Here in the UK, any number below 500 is considered low so I think I'm borderline low. My doc has told me to keep taking the high potent B-complex and has also prescribed me a B-compound pill that has to be taken for two months.

My questions are, is it known for symptoms to present themselves at this level range, and do you think I was possibly deficient before taking the high potent B-complex? I asked that second question because I think it's logical that the B-complex should have bought my levels up, even if only slightly? My doctor wants my range up to around 1,000.

Finally, and this is a struggle for me, but I do tend to binge on sugary foods on weekends. I know that sugar can do damage to B vit levels. I used to binge drink but I quit that and I think I've replaced that habit with another bad one. Does anybody know how much B vit sugar uses?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
(female)

Mel53 HB User
Re: B12 level 509

I am a recently diagnosed diabetic and am taking 500 mg of metformin twice a day. My tongue is numb and am wondering if a B12 deficiency could be the cause of this? My physicians asst. gave me a B12 shot the last time I saw her but I didn't tell her my tongue is numb.

Closed Thread