It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
(female)

goldierocks HB User
very low K but very high E....???

I recently had blood work and my results are very confusing. Very low Vitamin K, Vitamin D, and Vitamin C. Very high Vitamin E.

I am completely confused since I eat no foods with Vitamin E in it and take no Vitamin E pills at all. I can more understand the low Vitamin K since I also eat virtually no foods that provide Vitamin K. I am an extremely picky eater and have been my entire life. I do eat an occasional egg or a spoonful of peanut butter which I think could provide a little of both K and E though.

I do take iron tablets daily due to very low iron stores at only 6%. I am on Metformin for pre-diabetes (also confused about this since there is no family history for this nor am I obese or sedentary) so I expected my Vitamin B-12 could be low but it was just at the very low end of the acceptable margin.

A little more background.... I suffer from IBS-type symptoms, my Reverse T3 is way too high (perhaps undiagnosed hypothyroid -- I seriously have all the symptoms -- but my doctor has not diagnosed me with this but rather with Fibromyalgia which I am quite certain I do not have), high cholesterol, and I have recently started to have multiple kidneys stones requiring surgery.

How can I have so much going on yet not have any proper diagnosis yet? I am a very stoic person and try never to complain but I don't think I can tolerate this much longer.

Last edited by goldierocks; 10-05-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
(female)

goldierocks HB User
Re: very low K but very high E....???

Jen, thank you so much for your reply!

I had not been taking any vitamins around the time of of my most recent blood work. Before I received the results though I started taking Solgar (only one a day, not the three a day recommended) but once I received the results and saw that Vitamin E was in the Solgar, i stopped immediately. I am now only taking individual vitamins daily; Vitamins B6, B12, C, D3, Folic Acid, Iron (Ferrous Sulfate for my iron deficiency) and a combined Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc.

I wish I could see an endocrinologist. Even though my insurance is a PPO, specials in my area still require a referral from your PCP. Very frustrating. Since I am a lifetime picky eater, I just knew there had to be some sort of vitamin deficiency going on. I certainly had the symptoms for several of them but my doctor would not order any vitamin testing because they felt that is was not possible in this day and age and a daily multi-vitamin would take care of anything possible.

I paid $750 out of my own pocket to order my own blood tests and I'm glad I did. My TSH has always been in the normal range despite having virtually every hypothyroid symptom so I ordered a thorough thyroid panel and found the out of whack Reverse T3. I ordered a full vitamin panel and found some extreme deficiencies. I also ordered every iron test and found that even though my CBC was close to normal ranges, my iron stores were almost completely gone and my red blood cells were so tiny that they are having trouble carrying oxygen. All tests that my doctor felt were unnecessary. I just don't know what else I can do.

I am most concerned about my Vitamin K. I am afraid to supplement without a professional following my treatment because I am afraid that too much could cause clotting problem. My OB/GYN is just about to schedule a hysterectomy to stop my hemorrhaging problem but I am wondering now if this could just be a problem brought on by my Vitamin K deficiency since no other problems could be found to cause this. Is it safe to take a moderate amount of K until I can get in with my doctor (usually about a 6-8 week wait)? I've read that there are three types of Vitamin K and didn't know which one to take until your reply. What dosage might you suggest for the next month or so?

I've also found some interesting article about low K and how it affects the pancreas. It makes me wonder if it could be the cause of my recent blood sugar results indicating pre-diabetes. No family history, not obese, not inactive? I am at a loss for the cause of this too. Arrgghh! I DO so very much need an endocrinologist. I hope I can persuade my doctor somehow now. Not feeling very confident about it though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread