It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
(female)

LadyJay HB User
Red face Low Vitamin D and Extremely Elevated ESR??

Hi everyone,
A while ago, nearly a year, I had my vitamin D levels checked and I had a result of 12 which I was told was severely deficient. I had it rechecked a week ago and it is now at 9. UGH!
I have a zillion symptoms that make me feel like I have fibromyalgia (numbness, pain, fatigue, etc). My doctor seems to think most of my symptoms are related to the low Vitamin D. She also inferred that she didn't like to diagnosis people with fibro because she thinks it gives the opportunity to "give up" on things and blame the disease for their lack of luster, in no such words.
Any who, she did some tests last visit to check for lupus, which I know I don't have. One of the tests she did was ESR test. Normal result is around 20 and mine is 72. She said she consulted with a rheumatologist and believes the problem to be the low vitamin D. Can these two really correlate? I wouldn't be so concerned but my level is drastically elevated and it worries me. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Low Vitamin D and Extremely Elevated ESR??

Lady Jay,

Are you now supplementing with D? If not, you really should start ASAP! This is a great product that I use: Bio D-Mulsion Forte by Biotics Research. Low D can cause all sorts of symptoms.

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 10-29-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
(female)

LadyJay HB User

Jen,
Thanks for your response. I started taking vitamin D a few weeks ago and experienced some intense headaches, worse than my regular ones. I ended up in the ER with them telling me to go back home. I've kind of been intimidated to start it back up again, even though my GP says she's never heard of vitamin D supplement causing headaches. I know I need to start it, I just am worried.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Were you taking D2 or D3? If D2 I would switch ASAP to D3, the natural form of D.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
(male)

Mazate HB User

One thing that many people don't realize is that the body needs magnesium to process the vitamin D. If you start getting weird things happen when you take vitamin D, it is most likely a magnesium deficiency. I know because I went through all this. My vitamin D level was 12 and so I started taking vitamin D. I was getting palpitations, shortness of breath and a bunch of other stuff. Months later and after much research I discovered that I'm severely magnesium deficient and since vitamin D required magnesium, it was just exacerbating my magnesium problem. The side effects weren't at all due directly to the vitamin D. Headaches is a symptom of magnesium deficiency. My guess is that magnesium would help.

As a side note, its very difficult to resolve a magnesium deficiency with capsules or oral in general. I've found magnesium oil to be way more effective. There are lots of companies that sell it.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
(female)

fineartmarcella HB User

Most people are low in D, some more than others.
Normally, we were designed to get our D from the sun...I work indoors, and I bet most people on this board does. And I, like most, do not go stand in the middle of our yards half naked for 15 minutes a day....
So,
it is standard practice that most multivitamins have Vit D in it, the problem is it is only enough to supply a flea,
So,
most everyone should supplement with Vit D daily or weekly, ask your doc for how much, or as I do 5,000 per day and my level sits in the middle region.
Its not a rare thing that you are low in D, and luckly it is VERY easy to fix. If you do only a short round of Vit D, your low level WILL RETURN
So,
take it daily from this point on

Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
(female)

fineartmarcella HB User

Ladyjay, I would change brands, you may have an allergy to their ingredients. Some companies get their Vit D from cow hide or pig hide, some from sheep wool, just depends on the brand...

Old 01-14-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
(female)

fineartmarcella HB User

I would also check skin test/ for allergies. alot of autoimmune diseases come from unknown allergies or food sensitivties. Most are milk or wheat. One doc told me if you 'love love' a certain food, chances are you have food sensitivties towards it, and if you keep eating it, keeping your body in an inflammatory state because of it, you will develope autoimmune illnesses.
Cows milk is really hard on our immune systems, humans are not designed to handle it although the dairy counsel will say different, cow's milk is one of the major causes of juvenile diabetes due to some children's unknown food sensitivity to cow's milk, they develope antigens or fighter cells towards it, then keep drinking it, than well the top of our pancreas cells resembles cow milk cells, the fighter cells than attack the head of the pancreas and well...once its starts, their own body destroys the insulin part of our pancreas in 6 months..., that was just an example, research research research, try googling 'allergies and lupus or autoimmune', than find a good allergy doc that will do 'skin testing', not very many out there, and find out if you are digesting something you are actually sensitive to...

Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Mazate, this very same thing happened to me over a year ago and i still haven't gotten over it , better but still not well. How long did it take you to get back to normal and could you please let me know how you did it. Do you take the d now , i am scared to death to take any of it now.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
(female)

fineartmarcella HB User

why would you be scared to death to take Vitamin D? Low Vitamin D is far more fatal then what ever fear you may have

Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
(female)

Low magnesium levels can be fatal also. By using vit d it uncovered a low mag level for me but by the time i knew what it was i was in very bad shape. This all happened to me over a year ago, back last summer i had a week that i felt wonderful an thought oh boy finally got it whipped then spent a day in the sun and it all started again. Someday i plan on gettin back on the d but it will b a very slow go.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
(female)

fineartmarcella HB User

The answer I guess is to take care by taking good multiple vitamins that are complete and supplement when you live in an area that has low environment minerials. People in the midwest are traditionally low mag because of the low amount environmently. One of the first items a cardiac patient gets when they go to an ER here in the midwest is mag supplements either IV or po as a low D can cause heart troubles. You should never be afraid to take supplements if you need them. Take a multple 'mineral' supplement that contains all the basic minerals then add to that as needed. Do whaat your doctor tells you to do. That way you will not end up shorting your health by missing important things you need. Information and knowledge will make it all less scarey too you, but do not expect your immune & skeletal system to function as it should with a low D, you could be setting yourself up for cancer, autoimmune dxs, etc. Just be wise and educate yourself.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
(female)

I couldn't help but smile when you said do what your dr says because i did . I have severe osto . was placed on all the different bone building drugs and had side effects and no bone gain @ age 48 had the hip of an 85 year old dr told me to take calcium and d but did not tell me to take any mag. I think i was so depleted in mag that it will take a very long time to get it back up but when i do it should be safe for me to get back on the d. Thank so much for you suggestions . Do you know of a good multi to take ?

Closed Thread