It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
(male)

AlwaysTired247 HB User
Vitamin D success??

Hey all!

I'm looking for those who have had problems with low vitamin D. Mine was just tested and found to be 28 (levels 32-100). My doctors said it SHOULD be around 55-80. Could this be the reason for my fatigue/tiredness? I'm hoping so! I have been exhausted for about 6 years now, and it all started during December. I took a vacation 1 month later to Florida and felt better after being in the sun for 7 days! I came back home, and felt bad again after a week of being home. I have been through every test you can name/think of. Everything has come back fine (Extensive thyroid/adrenal/hormone) testing.

My doctor put me on 10,000iu of Vitamin D3 daily. She is going to test my blood in 6 weeks, then again 6 weeks after that.

Please share your success, if you have any... and how long it took!

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BAHAMAS HB User
Re: Vitamin D success??

I lived in the Bahamas for many years & I heard that down there a person gets an average of 20,000 or more i.u. of vit D per hour . The reason for me mentioning this to you is that I have epilepsy & when I lived down there my seizures were much less frequent , most likely because of the VIT D I was getting now I am taking 6,000 i.u's a day & will be going up to 9,000 in a month (when it gets really dull & cold up here).
So you can see that I know Vit D does play a big role in our health , & I do feel somewhat more energized - as long as it inst too hot (otherwise I feel worse).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I've been on Vitamin D for 2 years and I have felt great! Along with the increased energy, I haven't been sick - not even a cold. I was originally prescribed vitamin D when I went to my rheumatologist and with blood tests found that I have rheumtoid arthritis. My vitamin D level was extremely low, as with most people with auto-immune disorders. I was taking 2 grams a day, but my hormone doctor increased it to 5 daily. I used to get every cold, sinus infection, bronchiitis going around. My husband had strep a few weeks ago and I stayed well - that's a miracle in my book. You know, people 100 years ago would suggest fresh air and sunshine for health - well, they were right!!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
(male)

italnstallion99 HB User

I had blood work done in august and mine was on the low side as well. I don't know if it's because I work in an office but I don't get a lot of sun. Anyways he told me to take D3 1000IU. I wound up getting the vitiman shoppe brand. I didn't like the cheap brands you see on sale at the supermarkets. They tend to have chemeicals in them that you don't need.

I haven't had my bloodwork redone yet since I lost my job and no insurance. Once I get insurance again my plan is to retest everything.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
(female)

hizzy HB User

hi, i just joined this website because i was hoping to find other people going through the vitamin D nightmare like me!

i found out my vitamin D level was 18 about a month ago, and i live in FL (the sunshine state!). i have an office job where i don't get to spend much, if any, time outside during daylight hours. i started feeling run down last october, and it got progressively worse until one day i collapsed at work - like a car out of gas. i just had no strength to sit at my desk. i missed a little over 2 weeks of work due to severe fatigue, muscle twitching, muscle cramps, shortness of breath, and just generally feeling unwell. this progressed to terrible brain fog, panic attacks, and other cognitive symptoms that are just not ME. i saw my PCP and a neurologist, who tested everything under the sun (EXCEPT vitamin D!), and all was normal. they concluded that i probably had a weird virus that would pass. i started taking a multivitamin then to help boost my immune system that had a little D in it, but not much. fast forward to january when i was only feeling marginally better and still had to miss work here and there because i didn't have the energy to work. a friend from college who is now a doctor suggested i see a rheumatologist to make sure it wasn't something autoimmune (my worst fear). the rheumy checked my D level and found it to be 18 (all other labs were normal - hooray!). i have been taking vitamin D3 1000IU daily with 600 mg of calcium carbonate twice a day for about a month, and i started feeling MUCH better within a few days. i think i may need to up my D supplement intake, though, as my daily activities are starting to make me feel run down again...but i still feel WORLDS better than i felt a month ago. still a bit of muscle weakness and tiredness, but the twitching, aching, and cramps are about gone. my cognitive symptoms are much improved, too. i just switched to a higher quality brand of D, (solgar, which i got at my local health food story), rather than the cheapy stuff from walgreens. i understand from my reading that it takes most people about 3-4 months to get their level back up in the normal range when it is low and truly feel the full benefit of D supplementation.

i'd love to hear about your progress...as bas as i've felt for the past 4 months, i kept thinking to myself "as soon as i found out what's wrong with me, i'm going to form a support group for people who are going through the same thing!" it's been hard to get my family, coworkers, and friends to understand and support the fact that i have felt HORRIBLE. i'm ready to get back to my life, and i'm sure you are, too!

The following user gives a hug of support to hizzy:
janewhite1 (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I have RA and am on 5000 iu a day. My vitamin D level was low but not quite as low as yours. My rheumy put me on 2000/day and my level still did not come up. When my MD/NP put me on 5000/day it came up to normal and I feel much better. I still have days where I feel crummy because of the RA and I, too, go through people not understanding. I look fine - they say! Hang in there. Keep taking your D, because if you are low, you are at risk for auto immune.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
(female)

mamaria HB User

Hi! I also have problems with low vitamin D. My first test was a 12. I was put on the D3 supplements for 8 weeks and tested at 31. I do notice that my body doesn't ache as much as before. I will test again in 8 more weeks as I am still slowing trying to raise my numbers.

Closed Thread