It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
(male)

TooDangOld HB User
Niacin questions

Hi, new here, 58 and hate it. I wanted to ask a few questions concerning niacin. I have already researched the heck out if this, but you don't know what to believe or not, plus asking this i can get answers that are tailored to what i want to know.

1-Is there any worry about niacin side effects or stopping/starting niacin if you are taking amounts around 50mg or less?

2-I read not to break tablets in half or open capsules and take it like that. Why do they say this? I have 500mg capsules and would like to open the caps and sprinkle tiny amounts such as 120-50 MG on my food once a day. Any reason i can't do that, and why do they say not to?

3-i want to take it to help with my blood pressure. But most of what i read doesn't mention that. Some does, but most concentrate on cholesterol control. Does niacin in small amounts like i mentioned help with BP at all?

Thank you

Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User
Re: Niacin questions

You're talking about Flush Niacin, Right?

I don't know if it's the best choice to lower B/P but it definitely will raise your HDL cholesterol number. I've been taking it for years with no problems.
I was instructed to split or even quarter lower dose tablets to start to avoid too intense flushing, but 50 mg. is already low. Most people who use Niacin for cholesterol eventually ramp up to a much a higher dose than you wish to take (up to 1200/1500 mg). The key is to start low and slowly raise the dosage according to the flushing. Some flushing is part of what makes Niacin work.

I've never heard of sprinkling it on food but if that works for you I don't see why it would be a problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
(male)

TooDangOld HB User

Thanks. I worry about high dosages because i have read many times researching this that it is dangerous to the liver. And high is said to be anything over 50 or 100MG. So it worries me to take more and if 50 MG won't do anything for me then i guess i will pass. But i will keep using that small amount for a while and see if it helps. It supposedly opens blood vessels which no doubt must help BP to some degree. The question is whether small amount would help to any worthwhile degree.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
(male)

chris805 HB User

Is the flushing niacin better than the non-flushing?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User

just have your liver enzymes checked occasionally. Mine have never been high.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
(male)

TooDangOld HB User

I would, but i stay away from hospitals and doctors at all costs. So i have no way to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris908 View Post
I don't know, but i did read an article by a doctor that says no flush does nothing for you. Not sure i believe that because if i take a 500 MG cap of no flush (which is all i have bought so far) i feel it.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris805 View Post
In my opinion, Yes. It's the flushing effect that is useful.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
(male)

TooDangOld HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
In my opinion, Yes. It's the flushing effect that is useful.
I get flush from the non flushing kind too ! Not nearly as bad, but i get a bit of it, mostly the itching. I will however buy some regular stuff just to be sure i'm getting some benefits. I feel i am from this no flush tho because since i started i feel calmer and the nervous feeling in my chest i always have when my BP is up has subsided quite a bit, even with small amounts.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
(male)

Ferg HB User

The most distinguished niacin side effect is flushing. Intake of relatively large doses of niacin results to the dilation of the blood vessels leading to this normal occurrence of niacin flushing. This phase usually lasts about 20 to 30 minutes. Different people have different niacin thresholds. Taking 50 mg might cause you to flush while it can take about 100 mg to cause someone else to start flushing. Itching and Rashes. This flushing may occasionally be coupled with niacin itching and niacin rashes. It is important to note that these reactions to niacin are normal and should not cause you to worry.

Closed Thread