It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

IMA10 HB User
Low vitamin d

Hi. My son is 161/2 years olds. For the last couple of months he is feeling quite lousy. Tired with a lot of aches and pains, spasms, headaches and muscle joint pain. I took him to the doctor many times and he did not find anything. The last 2-3 weeks he is just getting worse. After going on line and reading what might be wrong with him, I requested more blood tests and asked to have him tested for vitamin d among other things. Yesterday, I called the doctor and was told he is really find. I picked up his blood results, actually I asked for the last years results and lo and behold I saw that firstly his vitamin d level is 15. Last year it was 19. When I questioned him why he wasn't being treated now or even last year, he replied that he doesn't BUY INTO THIS WHOLE BUSINESS!!! He also tested for the CMV virus that his IGG is 165. He had at some point this virus. So my question is is there any connection to CMV and vitamin d? Also, he started to get a lot of stretch marks which are getting worse daily. Is there any connection to all of these things? Who would be the best doctor to take him to? He feels so ill and the worst part is that I though this was all because he is a teenager and who isn't tired at this stage of his growth! Anyone out there that could help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Old 11-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Low vitamin d

First, I would seriously consider ditching this doctor!

You can start him on Vit. D3 right now. You don't need a prescription. 2000 to 4000 IU a day to start wouldn't be excessive, just make sure it is D3 and not D2.

Many people have CMV but it remains in a dormant stage and, thus, produces no symptoms. That your son is feeling unwell could be due to many factors, low D could be one of them.

I would think a good internist would be able to help you. You could take those blood tests with you and he/she may not need to run more labs. It's scary to think of doctors like the one you saw still "treating" patients!

Wish you the best,

Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
IMA10 (11-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
(male)

Ferg HB User

Vitamin D is essential for strong bones because it helps the body use calcium from the diet. Traditionally, vitamin d deficiency has been associated with rickets, a disease in which the bone tissue doesn't properly mineralize, leading to soft bones and skeletal deformities. But increasingly research is revealing the importance of vitamin D in protecting against a host of health problems. The treatment is to take vitamin D supplements. This is a form of vitamin D called ergocalciferol or calciferol. Vitamin D can be given as an injection or as a medicine. Your doctor will discuss the dose and best treatment schedule, depending on your situation, age, severity of the deficiency etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ferg For This Useful Post:
IMA10 (11-12-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
(female)

IMA10 HB User

Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I am waiting for an appointment with the endocrinologist and hopefully we will get some answers and some vitamin d. I will keep you all posted.

Closed Thread