It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
(male)

jason41987 HB User
severe vitamin D deficiency... options?

hey everyone.. turns out i have a severe vitamin d deficiency.. its pretty low.. apparently its been responsible for an onslaught of problems ive been experiencing, including pulled muscles in my neck that wont heal...

so.. im supposed to be on 50,000 unites of vitamin D a day (im quite overweight, but im working on that problem too)

well.. im wondering what the alternatives are... i know UVB radiation triggers a bodies natural production of vitamin D from fat cells i think.. not too sure, but i know UVB makes it... so i was wondering if it would be possible to replace the CFL in my room with a full spectrum CFL and get the UVB i need for significant production of UVB, or if i would need a bigger, bright UVB lamp to sit under for an hour or two a day..

would any of those options work?... i could put the full spectrum CFLs in a few rooms and live under those if neccessary.. just would like to find a better long term option than constant pills

thanks in advance

Old 11-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: severe vitamin D deficiency... options?

Are you sure it's 50,000 IU's a DAY???? The normal dose for someone with low D is 50,000 IU's once a WEEK...check your script. 50,000IU's a day could give you a real problem as D can be toxic at high doses.

The trick to getting the D levels up is make sue when you take the pill, that you take it with a meal that contains fat in it. D requires fat in the gut to be absorbed. If you drink fat free D fortified milk, you aren't absorbing any of the D. Although you are trying to lose weight, make sure that when you take the D, you have fat with it....like some peanut butter....don't need a lot but 1 sandwich would be fine.

I just went through 4 years of trying to get my D levels up and keep them up and couldn't. Was treated for osteopenia at the same time(early osteoporosis). Then I heard about taking D with fat and my levels are finally in the normal range. I found the 50,000 IU dose they give you of Vit D2 does not work very well and I did much better taking 3000 IU's a D3 daily until I got up there and now I take 2000 IU's daily to stay in maintenance. My doc checks my D level every 6 months so if I go up more, I can drop that down again to 1000 IU.s daily.

Hope this helps and please check that script.

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
(male)

jason41987 HB User

well, what i do for work makes me and sunlight strangers to one another.. will i be able to maintain vitamin D levels with lighting containing higher levels of UVB?.. if so, what sort of lights would i need to look into for that to replace my standard lighting to assist?..

and yeah, my D levels are REALLY low.. he says its why im getting headache.. why my hand hurts, and why its felt like ive had a stiff neck for 6 months (damaged my neck muscles and they never healed)

i guess 50,000 a week is normal for people of normal body weight.. but im way over right now which means i need even more vitamin D intake... my intake requirements should be lessened when i lose the weight.. but they have to be a little high for now until that happens so i dont doubt the 50,000 IU a day (which im supposed to take for just two months)... after that im supposed to get another prescription filled for longer term

i seriously doubt any amount of UV lighting is going to get me the required daily dosage (correct me if im wrong on this).. but im curious if itll help maintain it when ive achieved normal levels?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
(male)

jason41987 HB User

i have another question... i live in the northern US... one of the northern-most states in the continental US.. in fact, i could drive to canada in a little over an hour

so.. my question is, would it actually be beneficial to my health if i lived in a location that received more sunlight?... i notice i do really well in heat.. like to have the heat in my house up to 75+... maybe i just have a body that craves sunlight and this deficiency is proof that there isnt enough here?..

any opinions on that?

Old 12-01-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Jason,

How much noon day sun do you get on your skin? Wouldn't this be easier? Sunlight (at least 20 minutes) is the best source of vitamin D.

Many people are low in D and don't know it until they're tested. Once you get your values up a simple D3 supplement should be fine, but if you can get outside you may not even need that. Contrary to what we've been told, sun is good for the skin, as long as you don't bake it to a crisp!

I didn't see the other replies when I posted. Jenny is absolutely right about the 50,000 IU a day! If this is what you are doing on your own you could be setting up a very toxic condition.

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 12-01-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Jason....I live further north than you do and grew up in Canada. Lack of D has to do with lifestyle and food intake. I know of no artificial light source that will help the body make Vit. D. And just like me, you get about 15 hours of sunlight in the summer. But if you eat a diet poor in Vit D and calcium, you end up with problems. D is needed for calcium to be processed and so your bones get weak and so does your heart......it needs calcium for good function too. BTW, I can find no mention of low D causing headaches in my medical reference books.

On your high D dose....have your calcium and phosphorus levels been checked? Both are affected by D. In fact, when you take too much D, it's the calcium levels that go way up and it can kill your kidneys. That is why both Jen and I are telling you that unless the doc has prescribed the 50,000IU's PER DAY, you could put yourself into kidney failure very quickly. You need regular blood work on your levels and kidney function if you take that much. Do you have the appropriate tests set up?

Just so you know, the symptoms of D toxicity can be things like no appetite, nausea, vomiting, weakness, nervousness, itching and signs of kidney trouble such as excessive urination.

Please be very careful with this dose. Low D is better than no kidneys and spending the rest of your life on dialysis.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
(male)

jason41987 HB User

my entire house and front/back yard is blanketed by sunlight from trees... and its often overcast here since im so close to a great lake.. just isnt much sun in this area which is why i was curious as if spending an extra couple dollars per bulb on bulbs that last me 5 years as it is would be sufficient UVB radiation indoors?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
(male)

jason41987 HB User

and yeah.. its 50,000 a day

umm.. weakened bones and heart eh?.. is it safe for me to start using an excersize bike daily?...

Last edited by jason41987; 12-01-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
(male)

jason41987 HB User

thought my doctor said once a day.. pharmacist said once a week.. so im going to go once a week, check back with my doctor in a couple months and see where my levels at... now.. i should take these with something with a lot of fat or peanut butter in it?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Thank you! Yeah, just take it with a meal that has some fat in it...not a huge amount but some...some bacon and eggs for breakfast would be great or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, some meat with dinner...anything that has some fat in it. Doesn't have to be a lot of it but some. I know you are trying to lose but it's one meal a week so indulge in something fattening and take your D. Then diet.

Helped me get back in the normal range.

Jen

Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
(male)

jason41987 HB User

guess i could make a sausage and egg omlette for breakfast when i take these pills.. that should work well

Old 12-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

You could also take it with a K-2 supplement which will help the D go where it's supposed to go.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
(male)

jason41987 HB User

well, ive decided to start taking multivitamins daily starting in the near future, that should help too

Closed Thread