It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User
Do vitamins really do any good?

I've been taking vitamins most of my adult life, but am wondering if it is worth the time and expense. Does anyone NOT take any vitamins, supplements, etc. and feel great physically? I'm considering starting the New Year not taking any vitamins (but eating better) and see if I notice any difference in the way I feel. In addition, I started taking probotics about six months ago, but don't notice any improvement. I've never felt bad physically, but some days I'm more tired than others; probably from activities the previous day. In addition, I don't take any medication. Several months ago, I did a Google search and read on some web sites that people can actually feel more tired, after about a half hour, after they take vitamins. Could it be that vitamins stress the body, as it has more to digest? Does anyone have any opinion on this subject of whether vitamins really do any good?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Do vitamins really do any good?

If you're eating whole, natural (organic best, of course) foods and clean water, you generally feel well and have no health issues that you know of, then your body is doing its job without need of supplementation. I don't think vitamin therapy should be used "willy nilly" but vitamins and herbs can be very effective, and preferable to toxic durgs, if something does arise.

Many people routinely down a mass of vitamins without understanding their own body requirements. This can weaken one's own operating system. However, if something problematic arises there are many tests to determine where the problem lies. Everyone should have a 25 hydroxy vitamin D test and many people are low in magnesium without realizing it. Age also often plays a factor in terms of bone health, B/P, heart health and such.

There are labs, such as BioReference Lab, that do a complete vitamin/mineral work up. My doctor orders this test yearly because I do have health issues. This helps to zero in on what falls out of "normal" range rather than trying to second guess one's particular requirements.

If you do feel you need to supplement, I think the quality of vitamins is important. There are vitamins and then there are vitamins! I would avoid anything with a lot of fillers and companies that have less than desirable quality control. I would also be suspicious of cheaper vitamins from Walmart or Costco or even vitamin shops. Like food, the quality of what you are ingesting should be top priority.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

the drug companies and the american medical association would like you to believe vit/min supplementation is useless.

the ama was started by rockerfeller, there is a cat who cares about the welfare of people, not! anyway the foods we have available to us is grown in ways that do not provide all the nutrients we need, the minerals especailly. if supplements were so useless then why are they pushing so hard to get the codex alamantarias (not spelled right) passed? it regulates vit as drugs.

they also want to lower the potency why because one person gets sick a year taking vita?do you know how many die from drugs side affects and intereations? like 200,000 per year? maybe they ought to ban most drugs. what do you think? but people who get tired of feeling bad despite going to the doctors and taking their crap head for supplementation and find relief and even cures for thier chronic conditions and this causes the agenda of the wealthy elites to be supplanted, that of profit and population control, as in control of people not necessarily numbers of people.

but naturally they won't admit their drugs cause so much suffering and death, but why would they? no one would want their crap if they admitted to the deception they are pulling off over others with the blessing of the fda.

I would just say go for the high quality supplements you can, I am considering taking supplements again myself, i have a hard time swallowing some of those pills on a regular basis, I get tired after awhile taking all those pills.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
(female)

AprilVeggies HB User
Talking Re: Do vitamins really do any good?

YES! Our food supply simply doesn't it anymore. There are some people out there that will eat SUPER healthy and probably just cut it for optimal health. But for the rest of us, supplementation is necessary to fuel our bodies for proper biological processes for a better more healthful life.

I too have trouble with vitamin pills. The upset my stomach and I really question if my body is getting what it needs from them. I don't believe in Multi's because my needs certainly are different than yours. I recently found Altrient's C, which is different from liquids and powders in that it makes it through the stomach to where your body can use it. I was so impressed with the delivery method that I ordered their B complex as well- been taking for two weeks and I feel AMAZING. It sounds pricey, but for around $2 a day I'm getting all I need- I had been taking fistfuls, and calculated I was spending around $4 all in all before. The best thing is it's not a multi, so I can adjust and take more or less as my body tells me what it needs.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
(female)

interfin HB User

I think multivitamins make people more depressed because of the imbalance in the B vitamins, or it could be for any other reason. I am discontinuing mine and taking just a few like vitamin D

Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by interfin View Post
I think multivitamins make people more depressed because of the imbalance in the B vitamins, or it could be for any other reason. I am discontinuing mine and taking just a few like vitamin D
I feel somewhat the same way. One of the problem with MOST multivitamins is that they have like 8 billion times the RDA in everything, which is useless. Your body can only absorb so much at one time. Having more than 30% of the RDA at any one time will not likely be absorbed anyways. That's why I prefer vitamins that require taking 2 tablets per day, at two different meals. But for the most part it's too much too fast and your kidney has to filter it out of your blood stream.

Keep in mind that just because a vitamin absorbs into your bloodstream doesn't mean it'll absorb into your cells. Only so much can go.

Closed Thread