It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

skillfullyboard HB User
Vitamins and Supplements

So, As you can read in my bio, I have taken a new interest in my health since my dad passed away this summer. I'm 22 and he was 58. Not fair. But, I'm trying to get on the right track to bettering my overall health. I figure, the best way to start is by getting on a good vitamin routine and quitting smoking. Anyone got any good tips to quitting? And any suggestions on a good vitamin routine? I'm working with a budget here and I'd like to learn the home remedies for quitting smoking without having to buy all the prescriptions and nicotine patches and what not. And I'd like to keep my vitamin cost below 70 a month. I have done some research and gotten some recommendations on what to take but for everything I need(supposedly) I'm looking at about $120 a month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
(male)

souriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB User
Re: Vitamins and Supplements

the best way to quit smoking is cold turkey and its free
you should be able to get all your vitamins from your diet and not have to buy supliments

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

skillfullyboard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by souriya123 View Post
the best way to quit smoking is cold turkey and its free
you should be able to get all your vitamins from your diet and not have to buy supliments
I'm going to assume that you aren't a smoker and if you were, you didn't smoke long. I may only be 22 but I have a very bad problem with cigarettes and I have tried the cold turkey thing and constantly relapse. I'm trying to find help with good home remedies, or things to help curb the cravings when they attack.

On the other side of things, I thought I could get all my vitamins from my diet as well. But according to my research these are the replies that I need to look out for. Dr's and Scientists have done a number of studies showing that whether we think we are or not, 99% of people do not get the required vitamins from our diet. The majority of them can come from nice leafy green vegetables, but I don't know anyone that actually eats 5 servings of vegetables a day. AND 5 servings of fruits a day. Besides that, I don't even like to eat a lot of veggies. A few are fine, but the ones that are the best for your health are also the ones that make me gag from taste. So what better way to obtain all the supplements that I lack than to take a good vitamin routine? I'm just struggling to find one that fits my needs perfectly. I would think that you would need to know a little bit of medical history about me to also include vitamins and supplements that might prove to be a preventative measure towards certain illnesses or disorders that run in my family. For example: are there any certain supplements that I should take because my mother and her mother both had Type 2 Diabetes? I feel like with today's science and technology constantly in the development process, there would be a supplement out there to reduce my risk of being diagnosed myself.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Sorry for your loss but glad to see you wish to make some changes to better your health. There is a section here for people trying to quit smoking. I know many say..just quit, but sometimes easier said then done.

As far as vitamins, unless you have some deficiency I was told to take one multi vitamin, and yes they are all about the same, so don't go buying expensive stuff, plus vitamin C, at least 500 mgs.a day. If you can up it to 1,000 fine but do be careful as too much can cause some stomach problems like Diarrhea. I can't take anything past 1,000. Please don't buy into all this hype about certain vitamins unless your Dr. says you need them as you will be tossing your money down the drain. A good balanced diet obviously will help.

Best of luck....JJ.......

Last edited by JJ; 01-31-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Spelling type.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Hi and condolences.

Great that you are quitting smoking and moving toward better health!

At your age, unless you are experiencing a particular problem, I don't think you need to supplement with anything. I would concentrate more on what you eat. Lots of veggies is always a good start and, of course, eliminating junk food. Instead of stocking up on vitamins, I think a better use of your money would be to purchase unadulterated organic food.

Wishing you all the best!

Jen

Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
(male)

souriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB User

i was a heavy smoker for 32 years and tryed every thing to give up in the end i did it by cold turkey that was 10 years ago
as for vitamins its usualy the vitamin companies that say tou dont get enough from your diet

Closed Thread