It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
(male)

jason41987 HB User
lost my vitamin D meds

hey everyone.. i lost the vitamin D meds i was supposed to be taking.. 50,000 IU a week... vitamin D pills are cheap... so i was wondering if its ok to buy 120x 5,000IU tablets, take 10 of these a week for the duration of my prescription... would this be ok to do?.. and if so, is it better to take 10 pills once a week, or spread them out over the week?

also, id like to start taking now foods adam supplements, and was wondering if id be safe taking these daily along-side the 50,000IU... perhaps i should reduce the 50,000IU dose down to 45,000IU to compensate for the vitamin D i receive in the multi-vitamin... though since im low in calcium too i should try to find a multivitamin with less vitamin D and more calcium to supplement that main dosage ive been prescribed?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
(male)

jason41987 HB User
Re: lost my vitamin D meds

umm... anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Best to discuss this with your doctor.

Too much Vitamin D can be harmful. Also, the high doses are for short periods of time as a rule.

Best to work with your doctor in order to not get into more trouble.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

The D that the docs order is D2 and what is on the market OTC is D3.....D3 is actually stronger. So I wouldn't take them all on one day but take one 5,000IU's pill a day...that is what I am doing and it is working. I had been taking 2,000IU's a day and my level hardly budged so I went to 3,000IU's and it went up but is still low. Now I'm trying 5,000IU's a day, taken with a meal with fat in it(I'm now taking fish oil at the same time to ensure I have some fat in there).

You can even get 10,000IU's pills. But that seems a little too much to me, so I'll stay with 5,000and see how my next Vit D level comes out.

I always had this feeling that dumping so much Vit D in your system on one day was kind of counterproductive and that taking smaller amounts daily would work better. Seems to be working much better than the 50,000IU's at once.

Jenny

Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
(male)

jason41987 HB User

well, i actually went to the doctor with an inability to concentrate well, constant headaches, major neck/back pains so i was given a script to get some blood work done.. turned out my vitamin D level was at an 8.. fatally low...

so i guess i have a ways to go anyway before i get it back up.. with no source of vitamin outside, my dislike for drinking milk i just dont really have any natural source for it... i doubt the 3 months of supplements is going to bring me out of it...

ive also started taking a daily calcium supplement since no vitamin D means little or no calcium either... and with my lack of calcium rich foods im just not getting any of that either... doc says i should still take 50k once a week, so would it be safe to do this with D3? (im 6'0 about 350lbs) with no natural, or ingested source of vitamin D as it is

Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
(female)

Lolly808 HB UserLolly808 HB User

I take 2 of 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 every night.

I also had a low Vitamin D level, but not as low as yours! That is low!!!!!

Definitely discuss this with your doc. But in answer to your question, I take this amount every night and it has brought my levels up and kept them there.

I found some good sites on the internet regarding Vitamin D. Do some searches and read read read!

Hope all goes well.

Last edited by Lolly808; 02-09-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
(female)

One more thing. The research I read stated that the Vitamin D2 you get from the doc is not as good as taking D3. So that is why I take the D3 and not the D2.

I was also prescribed 50,000 IU of D2 once per week. That didn't get my levels up, the D3 did.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
(male)

jason41987 HB User

well, normal vitamin D production for someone without a deficiency they say requires 30 minutes of sunlight... a lot more in the winter, and no one goes topless in the winter anyway.. in the summer my property is completely shaded.... so...

what im thinking of doing, and my doctor says its a good idea, is to replace my overhead CFL lights with full spectrum CFL, or better yet, the UVB tube lights they use for reptile cages which can be found in standard 48" lengths...

sure the amount of vitamin D i produce from this wont be as much as direct sunlight, but i would be under these more often, and therefor the longer exposure to the indoor lights would catch up, and hopefully maintain my D levels

Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
(female)

Jason,
Another thing I learned is that the Vitamin D your body gets from the sun has to have time to be absorbed into your skin.

So when you go to the beach, or sit outside in the sun, it doesn't do you any good number 1, if you are covered in sunscreen, which we all should be, and number 2, you take a shower right away as your skin needs 24 hours to for absoption. That is why so many of us are low in D. One of the reasons, anyway.

I don't remember if we are allowed to post links. But search under easy immune health. She has a super informative page on Vitamin D. Vitamin D even helped my pain significantly, along with magnesium.

be well. :-)))))

Closed Thread