It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
(female)

mcscrap HB User
Re: vitamin D deficiency. does that explain my symptoms?

Hizzy,

I haven't noticed any twitching, but everyone is different. I am anemic too, so it is hard to tell which symptoms are due to which deficiency.

I have only been on my supplements for 6 days.....hoping in another few weeks I might start feeling a little better. I know it will take months to get both of my levels up.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #17
(female)

hizzy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbell60 View Post
Hi hizzy,

I completely hear you. I have been going through this for about 2 years now. I have gone through all the tests that the doctors could think of including thyroid. Everything came back to be normal except vitamin D and iron. My iron is back to normal but Vitamin D has gone up only a bit. It was 29 when they first checked it and put me on 1000 IU daily. I felt better for a bit but later started experiencing even more fatigue and joint pain. I barely make it to work and back. I take my vitamin D usually in the morning with breakfast. I also feel that it makes me slighly dizzy and hypoglycemic. My vitamin D level went up to 36 and then went down to 32. However, I don't feel any better. I take the NOW brand of vitamin D3 1000 IU. Just like you, I can't wait to get my life back. People around you think you are making it up and are depressed. Yes, you get depressed when you are unable to lead a normal life and struggle with day to day activities !

Do you have any recommendations for any particular brand ?
snowbell, bless your heart, going through this for 2 years! i noticed that taking vitamin D3 made me feel a bit hypoglycemic at first, but after a few weeks of taking it, i don't notice it so much anymore...it only happens every so often now.

yesterday, i talked to a friend of mine who is a registered dietician...he recently went to a conference on nutrition, and the expert who spoke there spent a fair amount of time speaking on vitamin D. this expert said that the best way to improve a D deficiency is through a healthy amount of sun (exposure of your face, arms, and neck for an amount of time that depends on your skin color), followed by a "healthy" amount of time in a tanning bed (the UVB rays are so concentrated that there is a fine line between a healthy and unhealthy length of time, plus you get concentrated UVA exposure, too), followed by oral supplements. the speaker said she has been treating her deficient clients with sunlight with good results...of course, she works here in florida where we have plenty of sun year-round! if supplements aren't working for you, maybe consider trying to get a healthy amount of sun or try a tanning bed. i have seen people on other posts/message board say that their doctors prescribed time in a tanning bed because they live up north where sunlight is very limited at this time of year.

as for brands of supplements, i have tried both nature made brand of D3 (very cheap at your local drug store) and solgar brand of D3 (pretty expensive at my local health food store). i gotta say that the cheap nature made brand seems to be working better for me! also make sure you take your D3 with a meal containing some fat. every morning, i eat a spoonful of peanut butter then immediately take my vitamin D3 and calcium. i started doing this after my rheumatologist recommended it...i was previously taking the D3 with my high-fiber breakfast cereal, and my rheumy said the fiber cereal will absorb the vitamin rather than my body! i wait about 30 minutes to an hour to eat my regular breakfast after taking my peanut butter/D3 combo...i can really tell that's made a difference for me over the past few weeks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #18
(female)

hizzy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscrap View Post
Hizzy,

I haven't noticed any twitching, but everyone is different. I am anemic too, so it is hard to tell which symptoms are due to which deficiency.

I have only been on my supplements for 6 days.....hoping in another few weeks I might start feeling a little better. I know it will take months to get both of my levels up.
mcs, i am thinking now that the twitching may have been a calcium issue...since jen recommended calcium citrate, i have been taking that rather than carbonate, and my twitching is pretty much gone...thank goodness! it's my most annoying symptom! a couple of times i have forgotten to take my calcium, and i'll start to notice a bit of twitching...that's been my reminder to take it, and within an hour or two of taking it, i notice that the twitching has pretty much stopped.

i hope your supplements start helping you feel better as quickly as mine have...i am definitely not 100%, but much better! last night i was able to go out to dinner AFTER working all day, and even go to the bookstore after dinner for about an hour! i didn't get home until 9:30, which is the latest night i've had in months...2 months ago, my bedtime after work was consistently 7:00 - 7:30!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #19
(female)

hizzy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
Hizzy,

The magnesium I have been taking for many years is "magnesium oxide" current brand Nature Made, no gastrointestinal issues.

After a few weeks taking Vitamin D3 I noticed a difference, realized I was feeling better than I had been. Feeling bad apparently came on slowly and I did not realize how bad I really did feel for a long time. Now walking across the room is without much effort compared to before taking Vitamin D3.

In April I will have Vitamin D level checked again after taking 2,000IU daily for about a year.

My level did not go up 10 points per month. Only went up from 26 to 30 in 3 months while taking 1,000 of D3.
misty, so glad to hear you're doing so much better! and thanks for the perspective on how slowly your level has crept up...reminds me that i need to be patient! have you been able to try getting a healthy amount of sun? i just shared in another reply on this thread that a friend of mine who is a dietician said he recently heard an expert at a conference say that she is treating her clients with D deficiency almost exclusively with sunlight and having very good results compared to oral supplements.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzy View Post
misty, so glad to hear you're doing so much better! and thanks for the perspective on how slowly your level has crept up...reminds me that i need to be patient! have you been able to try getting a healthy amount of sun? i just shared in another reply on this thread that a friend of mine who is a dietician said he recently heard an expert at a conference say that she is treating her clients with D deficiency almost exclusively with sunlight and having very good results compared to oral supplements.
Yes, sunlight is the best way to raise Vitamin D level. You get many, many more times the D versus taking pills.

Dermatologists have warned me to stay out of the sun due to fair skin and having too many skin cancers removed.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User
Unhappy Re: vitamin D deficiency. does that explain my symptoms?

Hi all. I just found out my vitamin D is at 13. I have been having severe muscles cramps, muscle weakness plus tiredness plus my ANA test came back positive and I also have most trigger points for fibro. I am seeing a rheumtologist and she has just put me on a very high dose of vitamin D. I haven't started the pills yet but am within the next hour. I'm guessing that all of this is somehow related. Any thoughts? Oh btw autoimmune diseases run in the family. Great huh

Old 03-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
(male)

prunner HB User

I have been fighting my issues for a while now. About 2 1/2 years ago I was running half and full marathons. The last half marathon that I ran I just felt like I did not have any strength. It seemed like it started after I started taking some supplements. I am no longer running or working out. I have gained thirty pounds.

I have been going to my family doctor and a rheumatologist. My family doctor could not find anything. The rheumatologist said that I have a vitamin D deficiency. I did not understand how since I was running outside in sunny florida 35 miles a week. I just found out this week that my iron and testosterone are low as well. The last doctor visit I went to the doctor the doctor said to see him in 3 months. I have felt all along that he is not interested in finding my problem.

I did some searching today and found out that if the iron is low then it is hard to get your vitamin D raised.

I am getting a test done to verify that there is no blood in my stools. Also I am going to have them check my thyroid and liver. I think I am going to buy some more vitamins to help the absorption of Vitamin D and I think I am going to sit out in the sun tomorrow.

I know it is rough for everyone here since I am going through some of the same issues.

I have the following symtoms:

fatigue
muscle weakness, hard to hold my phone to my ear for any length of time.
shortness of breath
depression/anxiety
irritibility
dental issues
muscle pains
muscle twitching
headaches
I tend to sleep all the time
lost sex drive
intestinal pain
my stools are mostly now soft to diarrhea

Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
(male)

Rickey7 HB User

Hi Hizzy,

I can totally relate to your story,and I'm a guy,who also lives in the South,and I get plenty of sunshine. I went to doctors for three years complaining of severe fatigue,always having my blood work,and scans to come back normal.

I'm one of these people who just knows his body,and knew something just was not right.Finally,I go to a new doctor,and after several blood tests coming back normal,he said he could tell by my eyes,that something was wrong,and that I was fatigued,regardless of what the blood tests revealed.

So, he ran two more blood tests,and found that my vitamin D level was 2,and that my thyroid was also hypo,and in the low range.When he saw the vitamin D level he asked me where I got the strength to walk into his office !

I told him,that I just pushed myself,and I just couldn't give up,even though I felt like it so many days.Most doctors just don't know that much about vitamins,or perhaps some just don't care ?

I'm taking vitamin D ,and iodine for my thyroid. The thyroid is doing better,but,the vitamin D is slow in bringing me back to anywhere I call normal.However I was so low on vitamin D for so long ! At any rate,I had nearly all the symptoms you had,and I'm still moving slower than normal.I too,had to give up my cereal,and soy milk for awhile,as it made me tired with the vitamin D,so,like you I opted for peanut butter,and that works better.

I enjoyed reading your story,and can relate in what you have been through.Just remember,never give up ! I just happened to find the right doctor, after three years of searching,and he doesn't give up either . I feel blessed finding the right doctor,and feel like I'm on the right track in getting back to some kind of normal life . Hang in there,and keep me posted on your progress .

Rickey Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzy View Post
hi, jen. thanks for all that helpful info! i will definitely try K2 and ezorb! and i am trying to accept this as a lesson in patience...i appreciate you reassuring me that this will just take a while to correct. every night, i go to bed thinking "tomorrow will be the day i feel like myself again," but i guess patience is the key.

i've been amazed at how the doctors i've seen seem so uneducated on most vitamin/mineral deficiencies...my B vitamin levels were checked when my symptoms began, but they were normal, and my PCP didn't even consider any other deficiency issues. once she decided it was a virus, she pretty much told me to put mind over matter, go back to work, and i'd be okay. very frustrating to find out that this is NOT a mind over matter issue! thank goodness my rheumatologist has some education on vitamin D!

Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
(male)

migwell HB User
Cool Re: vitamin D deficiency. does that explain my symptoms?

Hello,

I wanted to share my experience as well with everyone that has posted and those that will visit this thread looking for information on similar symptoms and that were diagnosed with low vitamin D levels.

Earlier this year, about 6 months ago, I began having joint pains all over my body, dizziness, cloudy thinking, depressive, low energy, tingling in my extremities, muscle aches, joint crackling, and the list goes on as many of you have already listed. With all these symptoms hitting me at once, I didn't know what to think was wrong with me. I went to my primary doctor, which also happens to be a rheumatologist, where he ran many tests, including x-rays, an EGG, and other scans. The only test that came back questionable was vitamin D. Though not as low as others, it came back at 21. The doctor prescribed 50,000IUs per week for 8 weeks. I begin taking the vitamin right away and continued for the 8 weeks. The symptoms slowly and gradually begin to improve -- though I felt like they would never go away given that they would come and go. Now 6 months later I feel much better. I still have some joint aches, primarily in my finger joints, but nothing compared to what I experienced at the beginning. Most of the other symptoms are either completely gone or are so minor that they no longer bother me. Also, other issues / symptoms that I had for years now and would have never guessed they were vitamin d deficiency related are improving. Overall all continues to improve.

I take about 3,000IUs now per day. I also take a multivitamin, calcium, and magnesium.

For anyone that is going through these painful and debilitating symptoms, I'd say to continue taking the vitamin D (and calcium, vitamin K, and magnesium), stay strong, and you will eventually see improvements if you haven't already. It may take time but you will feel better eventually.

Please also come back to these threads and post your experiences once you feel better. Most don't care to revisit the threads after feeling better and I think that is unfair and a disservice to everyone else.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
(male)

Rickey7 HB User

Happy you after are doing better ! I too,am doing much better after being on vitamin D for some time now.I'm now on just 2000 IU a day,and most of my energy has returned.It took some time to get back to a normal level though,so people diagnosed with low D,have to be patient,and have a good diet also.I feel so fortunate I had a competent doctor who was able to diagnose all the symptoms I had in the beginning,and realized it was the low D causing 98% of my problems ! Being low in vitamin D can really do you in,or,at least you feel like you've been hit by a truck that is still dragging you ! Thanks to all the people on this forum,and don't give up hope !

Closed Thread