It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

snowbell60 HB User
Vitamin D Side Effects ?

I was wondering if anyone has experienced side effects from the use of Vitamin D-3 like joint pain, fatigue and low blood sugar ? I have been suffering from fatigue for a while now and my doctor found out that my vitamin D levels were low - they were at 29 a few months ago. She put me on a daily dose of 1000 IU, which increased my levels to 36 in about 4 months. However, I have had an increase in my join pain and fatigue since I started taking it. Also, I feel my blood sugar falls down the days I take it as I feel dizzy after eating. I mentioned this to my doctor but doesn't seem to draw any connection. I am taking 1000 IU of NOW brand, which is from lanolin. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Vitamin D Side Effects ?

i have heard of joint pain if you're real low and when you take the vit D it's doing something to get you up to a normal level.....wasn't sure it was true, but maybe it is

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Are you by chance allergic to "wool", if so, that may be the reason for your aches while taking Vitamin D from lanolin. Lanolin is from sheep wool.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
(female)

snowbell60 HB User

I don't know if I am allergic to wool. Is there any other form of Vitamin D that I can try ?

Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I just checked on the Carlson brand of Vitamin D3 and learned the following:

"lanolin from the sheep wool is chemically altered in the lab to produce vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol."

I am allergic to wool, however, I have had no problems taking the Carlson Vitamin D3. I did not realize the one I am taking was from wool.

Although your body makes vitamin D-3 from exposure to sunlight, you can also get it from your diet. Food manufacturers fortify some of their products with this nutrient and list it on the labels. Fortifying products simply means to add supplements to the ingredients of food products. According to The Vegetarian Resource Group, vitamin D-3 as a fortified supplement generally is made from fish oil or lanolin, which is an oil from sheep's wool. Vitamin D-2 comes from yeast.

Last edited by Misty800; 02-23-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
(female)

hizzy HB User

snowbell, are you taking a calcium supplement with your vitamin D? vitamin D and calcium need one another to "work" in your body...i have read that if you take vitamin D withOUT calcium and if you have low calcium levels already (as many people with a D deficiency do), there is the potential for your body to rob calcium from your bones, which could cause bone and joint pain. my serum calcium level has always been normal even though my vitamin D was 18, but my doctor told me to take vitamin D3 and calcium so that the D supplement doesn't create a calcium issue. ask your doctor about it. i take calcium citrate, which i recently learned is far superior to calcium carbonate. when i was taking calcium carbonate, i did have some joint pain, and i suspect this was because i wasn't absorbing the carbonate well...since i switched to calcium citrate, i am no longer having joint pain.

as for feeling low blood sugar, i did have that feeling when i initially started supplementing with D3, but it has now mostly gone away. i just learned by reading the posts here that some D3 is synthesized from lanolin, which could be an issue if you're allergic to wool. if you can't tolerate the lanolin form, solgar brand contains only safflower oil, gelatin, vegetable oil, gylcerin, and fish oil from the livers of cod, haddock, and pollack. free of gluten, wheat, dairy, soy, yeast, sugar, sodium, artificial flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, and color. i copied that as it is written on the back of my bottle. you can get solgar brand at health food stores or online.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-25-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

uh oh, i'm in trouble
i'm allergic to wool AND fish....my doctor told me to take D3
I wonder if there's one without either of those ingredients?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
(female)

hizzy HB User
Unhappy Re: Vitamin D Side Effects ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
uh oh, i'm in trouble
i'm allergic to wool AND fish....my doctor told me to take D3
I wonder if there's one without either of those ingredients?
Uh oh...don't think there is a D3 that is fish free. D2 is synthetic, but also not easily absorbed and easier to poison yourself with. Maybe you need to get your vit D the old fashioned way -- healthy amounts of sunlight.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

It may depend on which fish you are allergic to.

I am allergic to shell fish and wool, however, I am tolerating the Carlson's D3 made from lanolin. I am also taking Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Omega 3 and do eat cod, haddock, and salmon. So far so good.

Do you know which fish you are allergic to?

Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzy View Post
Uh oh...don't think there is a D3 that is fish free. D2 is synthetic, but also not easily absorbed and easier to poison yourself with. Maybe you need to get your vit D the old fashioned way -- healthy amounts of sunlight.
i had no idea about the fish stuff.....and the dr specifically said D3, and everything i've read said D3 is the thing to take
i guess i will have to get more sun.....not easy to do all the time!

Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
It may depend on which fish you are allergic to.

I am allergic to shell fish and wool, however, I am tolerating the Carlson's D3 made from lanolin. I am also taking Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Omega 3 and do eat cod, haddock, and salmon. So far so good.

Do you know which fish you are allergic to?
i'm thinking most if not all fish. I have had an allergy test say that I'm allergic to shellfish, and one time I had a reaction from eating french fries that were cooked in the same grease as a fish sandwich, so I really don't know....

Closed Thread

Tags
fatigue, joint pain, side effects, vitamin d