It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
(male)

jamesinUK HB User
Can i take Berocca and Vitamin C together?

Sorry guys i lied in my subject, its not proper berocca i use, its asda's own which contains about 490mg of vit c and 9mg of zinc.

I know there is lots more vitamins but there is a reason why i am interested in these 2 in particular...

I have a planned operation this month and was told by the pre-op nurse that taking vitamin c is very good and has been prooved to aid patinets after surgery.

I bought some vitamin c effervescents today which also have zinc in, the vit c is 1000mg and zinc is 15mg.

I am wondering if taking my asda's effervescents as well as the 1000mg vit c will be too much, or is nearly 1500mg of vitamin c / 24mg zinc ok to take each day?

Or would i be best stopping the asda's own effervescents and just have the 1000mg of vitamin c per day on its own?

James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Can i take Berocca and Vitamin C together?

The levels aren't dangerous but your body doesn't need much zinc and a lot of the vit c will end up in your pee anyway so there's no point taking both, you'll literally be flushing money down the toilet. There's only so much vitamin c your body can use and it will just get rid of the rest so taking 500 or 1000mg is more than enough, and taking even more won't give you any extra benefit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Can i take Berocca and Vitamin C together?

RE: Zinc. You can take up to 30 mg daily but some say you really only need 15 mg. Just be careful you don't exceed the 30 mg. as too much zinc can cause nausea, headaches, fatigue, irritability as well as irritate the stomach.

I wouldn't worry about the Vit. C. It is water soluble, and as the previous poster mentioned, any excess will be excreted in your urine. I take large amounts of C daily to deal with a specific illness and even larger amounts if I'm coming down with a cold or flu as the body can often handle more C when fighting an infection or dealing with some type of stress to it.

One suggestion regarding your surgery. You might look into taking Arnica (a Homeopathic remedy) afterward ( you could take it before as well). It will help with bruising, bleeding and other trauma to the tissues and promotes wound healing.

Last edited by jenj770; 03-03-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Closed Thread