It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Can fish oil cause diarrehia?

I have been taking 2 grams of Nature Bounty fish oil for more than a year. About two months ago I started getting diarrehia every 2 weeks, like clock work only for a day. I do have IBS but having the D is not common for me, just loose and frequent B M 's.

Could the fish oil cause this, I am thinking it would be a every day occurance if it was the fish oil and why start after all this time.

I do get colonostopies, the last one was 10 months ago just a small polyp found and none necessary for 5 years.

Thanks, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Can fish oil cause diarrehia?

Thing about fish oil is, it goes rancid very easily. Any chance it was improperly stored before you took it? If it's a liquid, it needs to stay in the fridge. If it's capsules, the capsules need to stay cool and dry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I have the capasules and keep them in the frig. Always check the experation date before I buy them, bring them home and they go right in the frig.

Thanks for your reply, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi pa,
I have taken fish-oil (OMEGA 3) in liquid form for many months and have never found it to cause Diareah and I have IBS.
Also I have never kept it in the fridge and it has never turned rancid. I checked the bottle and there is no mention of keeping it refrigerated.
I would say the Diareah is more likely connected to your IBS or your diet, try keeping a record of what you eat at the times this happens.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

I take Krill oil capsules. The recommendation is not to keep it in the fridge as this could cause degradation. I keep mine in a dark cool cabinet. That said, I think not using the product by the expiration date could cause rancidity, but I also second that the oil is probably not what is causing your diarrhea.

Closed Thread