It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

luckystarrs HB User
B12 Deficiency- Levels not improving

I was recently diagnosed with a B12 deficiency, most likely Pernicious Anemia, which is accompanying my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Vitamin D Deficiency.

I was suffering for quite severe memory loss for my age (24) and was referred to a Neurologist. After running a CT scan, she ran some blood work and discovered my deficiency. My levels were around 179, and I was sent to an Internal Medicine doctor to maintain the upkeep. I started on a 1MG dose daily and took this for 3 months. They tested my blood in January and my level had only increased to 226. She then wanted me to continue my 1MG dose daily, accompanied by an injection once a month. I just got my results yesterday and my level has only increased to 267. My doctor is concerned, saying my levels with this much replacement should be around 1,000. She has doubled my sublingual dose to 2MG per day, and now doing shots every other week.

Any idea what could be going on in which my body refuses to absorb much, and I haven't had much change in my levels? She is checking again in 2 weeks, and if no improvement, she will begin searching for the bigger issue. Looking for any advice.

Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to luckystarrs:
WindeeGale (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
(female)

WindeeGale HB User
Re: B12 Deficiency- Levels not improving

Hi, you sound so much like what I am going through. My body does not produce any B12, I have the shot every 2 weeks or less. I also have Pernicious Anemia, and thyroid disease, and Lupus. Very confused, I found this out 4 months ago. I get tingling, from my feet to head when the b12 wears off. and burning feelings through my whole body. Hope someone can help or knows of this feeling. Thanks, and be well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
(female)

seb1022 HB User

just a thought, my mother suffers from chron's disease which is the body's inability to absorb b12 due to blockages in the small intestine. she has been on steroid therapy along with once a month, sometimes twice a month b12 shots. symptoms include chronic stomach pain, like you cannot hold anything in and constantly need the restroom especially after eating certain foods...she gets these flare ups especially after a lot of stress. painful bloating of the stomach is a result. i would definitely ask your doctor to test you for chron's disease. this is not something you want to go undiagnosed. not trying to scare you, bc you may not even have it, but surgeries are very common with this disease. my mom has had 2 so far in which 2-3 feet of her intestines were removed where the blockages were bc there is nothing else that can be done with this disease. talk to your doc asap! also, a homeopathic doctor or dietician visit would be great as they ONLY deal with natural supplements which sometimes can be just as effective! good luck, let us know what happens! -sara-

Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystarrs View Post
I was recently diagnosed with a B12 deficiency, most likely Pernicious Anemia, which is accompanying my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Vitamin D Deficiency.

I was suffering for quite severe memory loss for my age (24) and was referred to a Neurologist. After running a CT scan, she ran some blood work and discovered my deficiency. My levels were around 179, and I was sent to an Internal Medicine doctor to maintain the upkeep. I started on a 1MG dose daily and took this for 3 months. They tested my blood in January and my level had only increased to 226. She then wanted me to continue my 1MG dose daily, accompanied by an injection once a month. I just got my results yesterday and my level has only increased to 267. My doctor is concerned, saying my levels with this much replacement should be around 1,000. She has doubled my sublingual dose to 2MG per day, and now doing shots every other week.

Any idea what could be going on in which my body refuses to absorb much, and I haven't had much change in my levels? She is checking again in 2 weeks, and if no improvement, she will begin searching for the bigger issue. Looking for any advice.

Thanks!
If it is your auto immune system which is at fault I would have thought that taking B12 by mouth would be a waste of time. This is most likely why you have the condition in the first place. Only intramuscular injections would work
wouldn't you think.
James

Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
(female)

selfhelps HB User

I recently discovered there are several forms of B12 supplements (and in multi vitamins). Most common is "cyano"cobalamin, referred to as non-human active. It requires conversion in our bodies and most people's bodies are not effective in making this conversion.....so we take it but don't assimilate it. The form "methyl"cobalamin is referred to as human active and does not require the conversion. It's available as a patch, oral spray, chewable tablets. For a very complete understanding, you can look up the expert researcheron B12 David Rainoshek. I did & I am now taking the "methyl" form with excellent results. Good luck!

Closed Thread