It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
(male)

ralthiel1983 HB User
Puzzling case of Vitamin D deficiency

Hello all,

Just got some blood tests back from a recent physical and had some interesting results show up on it. I work night shift, and get little sun and suspected I could be deficient in vitamin D, but this is a shock even to me. Besides the vitamin D, there were a couple of other results that caught my eye and I figured I would see what other thought. (lab results below)

Vitamin D (25-hydroxy): normal range 30-100 ng/ml. My value: 6 ng/ml
Calcium: normal range 8.5-10.5 mg/dl. My value: 9.9 mg/dl.
Potassium: normal range 3.5-5.3 mEq. My value: 5.4 mEq.
White blood cell count: normal range 4.5-10.5 thousand per microliter. My value: 9.8.
Platelets: Normal range 150-450 thousand per microliter. My value: 458.

Tests were done to check liver and kidney function, which thankfully came back all normal. Thyroid tests were normal (free t4 and TSH).

My doctor told me my vitamin D was the lowest she's ever seen, and put me on 50,000 IU twice a week for a few months. I'm curious if a value that low can result from lack of sun and poor diet, or if there could possibly be some sort of metabolic issue at work. Magnesium, Phosphorus, ionized calcium and Parathyroid hormone weren't done, but I am a little curious what they would show, as they could very well be related to my severe vitamin D deficiency.

I was also curious what others thought of the white blood cells and platelets. The platelets are ever so slightly high, and white blood cells are certainly on the high end of normal. I don't feel sick at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User
Re: Puzzling case of Vitamin D deficiency

I don't worry about my values that are slightly off "normal", nor does my doc. That you are attending to your low Vitamin D is important here. If you could possibly get some noon day sun as well (weekends?) would be most beneficial.

If you could take your D with some fatty food at breakfast, along with vitamin K-2, will help the D do what it's supposed to do, go where it's supposed to go.

Best,

Jen

Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Vitamin D deficiency is surprisingly common, and we have had a few people on here with values as low as yours. Some people just don't eat much fish or dairy, which are the main dietary sources.

Bottom line, take the supplement and have your levels checked again in a month or two. If supplementation doesn't help, then look into metabolic causes.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
(female)

PortHueneme HB User

Hello,
I've also tested low in vitamin d and my doctor's don't know why my body will not absorb it. I've also been give vitamin d (50,000 units) to take but it has not helped at all. I've been tested 4 times and each time my levels are the same. My doctors say my low vitamin d is the cause of my osteoporosis. I'm 37 yrs old and have broken so many bones, from my femur to my ribs. I see my endocrinologist on Wednesday to figure out what next to do.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
(male)

grandpa32 HB User

I have very similar test results as the OP although I've also been dx'ed borderline osteoporosis with a dexa scan. My Vitamin D is 7, calcium was 9.9, and all other blood work so far has been in "normal" range. I've been wondering about my liver and kidneys as I've haven't had much testing on them, but not so sure now. I rarely drink. My creatine Bun was normal so I think that is good sign for my kidneys. PTH was 16 low normal, TSH, ionized calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium was all normal. Testosterone seems a bit low to me at 380 total. I've also been lactose intolerant since a kid.

What is weird with me is that when I take vitamin D3 supplement, my symptoms get terribly worse, so I'm not taking them anymore and feel better than when taking it. I see the endo in a few weeks, and hopefully get some answers.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

bbroke HB Userbbroke HB User

My 25OH is 12ng/ml and first dose of 50k iu has caused mild pain in tummy and pain at motion time. Will not take next dose till i feel normal.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Sometimes vitamins do cause stomach upset. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you should take it with a particular type of food to ease that.

Reply Reply