It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User
Question I could use some expert advice!!!

Hi - my head is spinning looking for certain types of vitamins for several reasons. Been reading on-line - visiting my local health food store (felt they had no idea what they were talking about)...I've had great luck on these boards, so here goes!!!

I am 53 - going thru menopause - just had a bone density test which shows I have osteopenia in 4 sites of my spine and my left hip. I also have fibromyalgia, IBS, and had my thyroid removed 6 years ago. I have stomach issues with vitamins, supplements, etc. so I have to be careful what I take. My Vit. D levels were 4 a few years back - I take 5000iu's daily and I am in the low 30 range. I need to start taking calcium but in the past have found it really upsets my stomach. Right now I take Vit. D; Vit E; Vit B6, and B12, Magnesium Oxide which I now hear is not the best absorbed by any means and so my goal here is to find a calcium supplement that won't upset my stomach and is easy to swallow along with a better magnesium supplement.

I read about Coral Calcium ??? And, the different types of magnesium and see they really should be taken together with the Vit. D.

So any help here would be greatly appreciated. I also try to take vegan if possible with as few "additives" as possible. Thank you !! MaryAnn

Old 05-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: I could use some expert advice!!!

Mary Ann,

I would shy away from coral calcium. I use Ezorb. It's gentle and probably wouldn't cause any stomach upset. As for Magnesium, you could try mag glycinate. It's buffered, so again, kind to the stomach. Another good way to get magnesium is through magnesium oil. You could do both mag oil and capsules. I get my oil from Health and Wisdom and buy it by the gallon. Epsom salts is another form of magnesium. If you want a comprehensive multi vitamin I would look for one that is food based. New Chapter and Rainbow Light are good brands. They also make one specifically for women. Just one more thing regarding vitamin E. Were you told to take this? I ask because this is a vitamin that can cause problems if taken when not needed.

All the best with this,

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 05-02-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

Thanks for your advice! The man at the vitamin store by me did give me a brochure on New Chapter Bone Strength Cal/Mag Vit D3 and Natural K2 complex. I bought a sample supply to try. As far as Vit E, I take 400iu 4-5 times a week. What problems can that cause? Its not that high a dose and I am pretty sure its the same amount you would find in a multi, although I may be wrong. I will look into the Ezorb - again, thanks... MaryAnn

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-17-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie50 View Post
As far as Vit E, I take 400iu 4-5 times a week. What problems can that cause? Its not that high a dose and I am pretty sure its the same amount you would find in a multi, although I may be wrong. MaryAnn
Vitamin E is fat soluble, not water soluble, so if an excess exists it wouldn't be excreted in the urine. Too much E can interfere with blood clotting, but you're probably ok with what you're taking. From my understanding, Vitamin E deficiency is actually pretty rare. I just tend to think "if it isn't broke don't fix it" so I only take supplements that I think (or tests show) my body needs.

Jen

Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
(male)

68GTX HB User

Most western osteoporosis is probably based on an improper diet. Americans have some of the highest dietary calcium intake in the world via dairy products and supplements yet the highest rates of bone loss. Studies have shown that calcium, especially when taken alone, may actual aggravate bone loss. Eastern diets are relatively low on calcium yet osteoporosis occurs far less often. The answer is in a balanced diet where one gets all the key ingredients that are in the bone making cycle - calcium, Vit D, vit K. Things in our diets that can speed up calcium being stripped from the bones: too much animal protein, dairy products, caffeine (ie soda too), too many oxalates that bind up calcium, and lack of exercise. Basically, a well rounded healthy diet will take care of most everything except possibly the vit D and vit K. A poor diet that tends to strip away calcium and inadequate levels of sunshine (D3) and vit K (leafy greens) pretty much sets oneself up. If any one of these ingredients is missing or lacking you won't build adquate bone. Taking a Ca-Mg-D3-K2 supplement won't necessarily counter the effects of poor dietary choices and it's questionable the potency of such supplements vs. the real thing. One can never be sure what they get in a supplement unless it has been independently tested for potency. Natural is easier and safer. Having IBS is just another reason to try to go as all natural as you can and distance yourself from all processed foods, chemicals, additives, and toxins.

Before adding additional supplemental calcium to my diet I would at least first attempt to get it from optimizing food sources first (minimal oxalates and minimal dairy - esp. with the link to IBS). Vit D is easily gotten from daily exposure to sunshine. In winter months you can supplement if you live beyond 35 deg North (or South) parallel. I don't feel one can get optimum Vit D from foods. Vit K is difficult to get these days. That's one I do supplement with. The RDA for Vit D at 30 ng/ml may not be optimum for maximizing bone building. It certainly isn't optimum for overall health.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-13-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Closed Thread