It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Question on B12

So my Dr. told me my B12 was on the lower end. Recently diagnosed with anemia. My level is 344. He told me to just take some B12. He didn't tell me how much when etc so I have just been taking 500 mcg daily in tablet form. I have read a lot of conflicting things about sub vs tablets etc. Some people say it's better some say it's not. The pharmacist even told me that it doesn't matter which I take.
I would like to hear from people that have tried both and how much B12 you take a day if you do which do you prefer?

Thanks so much!

Edited to add, shots are not an option for me as I don't have insurance and the Dr. didn't say anything to me about getting them.

Last edited by Heatherx5; 06-10-2012 at 09:00 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Heatherx5:
DumbCurious91 (06-14-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Question on B12

Sublinqual B12 will is the quickest and most efficient method of taking B12 and will also provide maximum absorption because it bypasses the gut. I would disagree with your doctor. There is a difference in tab vs sublingual.

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

After a stomach problem I had trouble keeping my B-12 up to a normal level.
I had to have a B-12 shot every week for 4 weeks and then monthly injections....probably forever. I hated making the 70 mile round trip to the doctor just for an injection, plus paying their price for the shot. My doctor wrote me a prescription for the B-12 and the needles and my husband gives me the shot. It was so much more cost effective. Your pharmacist can explain how to give the shot, or there is even a video on the net....don't think I can give the web site, but it's a common one.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Thanks for the responses. I will be checking into the shots if they are really that cheap. Seems like a lot better route and faster.

For now I went back to the store and got the 1000 mcg sub. B12. I was only taking 500 mcg in tablet form and got a hold of my Dr. today and he told me to take more.

Hope this does the trick for now.

The following user gives a hug of support to Heatherx5:
Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
(male)

DumbCurious91 HB User

blaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited by DumbCurious91; 06-14-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
(male)

DumbCurious91 HB User

OH yeah panic attacks. NEVER had them before! This past year, I had such brutal panic attacks and I had to do things like ride my bike for 30 miles, hit a punching bag for an hour straight,take sedatives and practice other inconvenient remedies just to get by., I'd like to say I'm finally moving passed the "living day by day stage" and I'm getting better at handling my life, but this all just happened at the wrong time. Between starting college, working, trying dating(and failing miserably), losing and meeting new friends, I couldn't have poisoned myself at a worst time(well then again maybe it's better I did it will I'm still young(20), I feel like the symptoms I had(anxiety, heart palpitations, high blood pressure) could kill an older person(not too much older either, probably just 15 years older). I try to stay positive, even about this subject. I like to think that whatever I've been going through is going to be my right of passage into adulthood and hopefully once I recover I'll be well-weathered for the big world. I also like to think that once I find a girlfriend a lot of insecurities/worries/feeling of lonliness(even though I isolate myself half the time) will naturally go away. It's just always been hard for me. When I was a teenager all my friends used to pick on me and call me asexual because I was overweight and couldn't get any girls, and the girls would always ignore me or act nasty towards me. I've changed so much since then, but I still have fears of intimacy and romance because of the way I was only a couple years ago. Everythings changing so fast. It's like you've been wearing the same hat for 20 years and then all the sudden someone takes it off your head/you lose it. Then you're exposed, and you gotta choose a new cap to wear, one you can see yourself in for a long time. I can barely see myself dedicated to anything for a long time. Except for computers. I just hope that if/when I find the right person I don't let myself down. I think there are actually more people like me out there that just haven't started dating yet, but it's so embarrassing at this age, it's never discussed. It's always the same old thing' hangin out with friends, one or two people rant about sex; yada yada yada and everyone knods their heads in agreement whether or not they're actually sexually active. Because god forbid you admit to being a virgin. Oh god forbid. You know how there's that parent-sex talk that you always dread and hating hearing when you're a teen? I feel like I'd rather hear that, than the peer-sex talk. It's your d*** not their's, but they will tirelessly chew your ear off about what you're missing. It's almost like guys get off on hearing good sex stories from their buddies and they're disappointed when you don't have any good experiences to share.
Whatever I'll get there. I just have to tremendous mountains to climb over first. In no specific order: Having sex and developing a close relationship with a girl without doing something wrong(ie: freezing up, copping out because of moodswings, or GOD FORBID getting friendZONED!).
And finding something I can commit myself to(ie new hobby/sport/JOB)....
Like I said I really feel ****** about blowing off this new job, but it was crazy. They were having me work ridiculously volatile hours and I was running like the whole supermarket by myself.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
(male)

DumbCurious91 HB User
Cool Re: Question on B12

OH yeah panic attacks. NEVER had them before! This past year, I had such brutal panic attacks and I had to do things like ride my bike for 30 miles, hit a punching bag for an hour straight,take sedatives and practice other inconvenient remedies just to get by., I'd like to say I'm finally moving passed the "living day by day stage" and I'm getting better at handling my life, but this all just happened at the wrong time. Between starting college, working, trying dating(and failing miserably), losing and meeting new friends, I couldn't have poisoned myself at a worst time(well then again maybe it's better I did it will I'm still young(20), I feel like the symptoms I had(anxiety, heart palpitations, high blood pressure) could kill an older person(not too much older either, probably just 15 years older). I try to stay positive, even about this subject. I like to think that whatever I've been going through is going to be my right of passage into adulthood and hopefully once I recover I'll be well-weathered for the big world. I also like to think that once I find a girlfriend a lot of insecurities/worries/feeling of lonliness(even though I isolate myself half the time) will naturally go away. It's just always been hard for me. When I was a teenager all my friends used to pick on me and call me asexual because I was overweight and couldn't get any girls, and the girls would always ignore me or act nasty towards me. I've changed so much since then, but I still have fears of intimacy and romance because of the way I was only a couple years ago. Everythings changing so fast. It's like you've been wearing the same hat for 20 years and then all the sudden someone takes it off your head/you lose it. Then you're exposed, and you gotta choose a new cap to wear, one you can see yourself in for a long time. I can barely see myself dedicated to anything for a long time. Except for computers. I just hope that if/when I find the right person I don't let myself down. I think there are actually more people like me out there that just haven't started dating yet, but it's so embarrassing at this age, it's never discussed. It's always the same old thing' hangin out with friends, one or two people rant about sex; yada yada yada and everyone knods their heads in agreement whether or not they're actually sexually active. Because god forbid you admit to being a virgin. Oh god forbid. You know how there's that parent-sex talk that you always dread and hating hearing when you're a teen? I feel like I'd rather hear that, than the peer-sex talk. It's your d*** not their's, but they will tirelessly chew your ear off about what you're missing. It's almost like guys get off on hearing good sex stories from their buddies and they're disappointed when you don't have any good experiences to share.
Whatever I'll get there. I just have to tremendous mountains to climb over first. In no specific order: Having sex and developing a close relationship with a girl without doing something wrong(ie: freezing up, copping out because of moodswings, or GOD FORBID getting friendZONED!).
And finding something I can commit myself to(ie new hobby/sport/JOB)....
Like I said I really feel ****** about blowing off this new job, but it was crazy. They were having me work ridiculously volatile hours and I felt like I was running like the whole supermarket by myself. All my coworkers would sit around and slack and watch me bust my ***, just because of their seniority. Which I understand, but cmon do something! I was supposed to get a job in the back doing stock/receiving, but then they put me in the front telling me I was going to be pushing carts. I was OK with this, went to the orientation, started work this week. I went in, found out that I'm not just a cart guy, I'm a "CA" -- Customer/Cashier's Assistant. There's only about 3 of us on shift at a time. We are responsible for a whole parking lot(the size of about a football field, give or take) full of carts, that old jewish people arbitrarily leave around, collecting all the baskets in the store and replenishing the 3 basket locations throughout the store(the baskets move around the store like water in the ocean), doing returns/throwbacks, bagging for customers(a job I didn't expect to have, I did it when I was 14, and I was cool doing it then, But now, it is ridiculous, I'm being given a responsibility that should be strictly for young teens/elder people/. I gotta help customers carry out their ish. I gotta bring paper bags up to the front every like hour or two and replenish the cashiers supply. I had to do garbage. I had to clean up carts and pick up nasty wet garbage with my bare hands. It isn't the worst job in the world, but I am not in a state of mind to be putting up with it. I need a mellow job where I can listen to music, move stuff around(stocking job perhaps), or driving. Driving jobs are my favorite and I've lasted the longest with them. I have delivered newspapers, driven box trucks, valet parked. I love getting paid to drive a vehicle, because I feel like I am free and self-managing myself. I like being given a single task/job/responsibility and having a clear cut understanding of how much needs to be done. I don't like certain jobs like certain retail positions, where it's like that old CCR song "Fortunate Son", you give so much, you ask they how much you should give, and they just say a'more more more more! I feel kinda bad there were a few nice people working there and I don't like to let people down but, I just couldn't get there today. I actually was going to go, but I misplaced my work-apron this morning, and decided that I must've sub-consciously hid it from myself because I was sick of the job. Whatever the case may be I still haven't found the apron(I stopped looking like 4 hours ago) and I was supposed to be at work 3 and a half hours ago. Screw it, shouldcouldawoulda, Next Time!!

Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the advice dumb. My B12 levels were a little low and I am only taking what my Dr. told me to take and am going to watch it very closely till it gets up where it should be. I am having all the symptoms you describe from having low B12 and low Iron issues. One day I was fine the next I was having a panic attack, could not breath and just feeling horrible.

I am not taking B12 to lose weight or just for an extra boost of energy I am taking because I am actually low on it, hopefully once I get where I need to be I will have retrained myself to take better care of me and be able to maintain on my own.

I am really sorry you are going through what you are and hope that you get some relief soon!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
(male)

loneman HB User

I tested my b-12 in March at 364. Been taking 1000 mcg sublingual daily. Been checking my levels every month since then and it kept going up - the most recent one was at around 800. Feeling better overall - the fatigue is definitely gone and some other symptoms seem to be improving as well. Hoping to keep getting better. Some people say you need shots if you fall below 400, others say you don't. If it's a possibility for you keep checking your levels once every 4-6 weeks at least in the beginning. If there's little improvement ask for shots - they're not that expensive.

Closed Thread