It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
(female)

mpatrick HB User
Question Symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency?

Hi,

I had blood work done last week and have been diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency. My dr. told me to take 4,000-5,000 IU a day. I had the blood work done because I have been having all kinds of weird symptons/illnesses for a couple of years and was fed up with them. I thought maybe I had a thyroid disorder, but all my blood work (except the vitamin D levels) came back normal.

I am curious if my symptoms are typical of a vitamin D deficiency. A little about me: I am a 29 year old female. I have been an octo-lacto vegetarian since I was 10. I will admit that I hardly get any sunlight because I overheat and burn very easily.

My symptoms/illnesses include:
fatigue
depression/anxiety/feeling very unmotivated
weight gain (steady gain of 25lbs over 2 years)
back pain/muscle aches
heart palpitations
forgetfullness (fuzzy brain)
urticaria/angioedema (hives/facial swelling) - Allergist could not find a cause
numerous sinus infections/colds
eye infections
mulluscom breakout earlier this year (pox like virus)
swollen lymph node (no pain and same size for 2 years) - had CT scan for this

Thanks

Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
(male)

68GTX HB User
Re: Symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency?

I had a lot of those symptoms you describe as well as reflux when I basically shunned the sun for years while trying to show what a "warrior" I was at work. That warrior status helped me put on 50 lbs, asthma, frequent colds, annual bronchitis, and higher blood pressure. When I finally changed my lifestyle, getting more sunshine was part of the regimen. I had never known that you need sun for optimizing vit D. I suspect much of the population is ignorant of that fact.

With a healthy diet, weight loss, and tons of sunshine I eliminated most of my problems. Somewhat higher Blood Pressure remains though I do note that during the peak 3-4 months of summer, it is well controlled at normal levels. It's only during the winter months when I supplement with Carlson's oral D3 (4000-6000 IU per day) and 15 min visits 2X per week to a UVa/UVb tanning bed that my BP is not quite so controllable w/o the need to take some medication. I do however maintain my blood D3 levels around 65 ng/ml all year round. A lack of sunshine (and therefore low or less than optimum D3) can lead to a host of problems, not the least of which are cancers. It's a fact that as you head further from the equator the incidences of prostrate and other cancers start to rise. It seems reasonable that our sun-phobic/skin cancer-crazed society of the past 40 yrs has paid the price with much more heart disease, cancer, and auto-immune disease. We'd be much better off with the 1 extra case of skin cancer per year rather than the 50-100 cases of additional organ cancers. Research has only begun to scratch the surface as far as the benefits of Vit D. Sure, 30 ng/ml of Vit D will prevent rickets. But it probably won't give you good health.

Last edited by 68GTX; 07-13-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply